Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Marijuana

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I used to not believe in it either, until i had to go through a Captains mast with one of my Jr sailors getting done for Meth.. Dude said he only got into Meth cause of his use of weed. After that i looked into it, by checking with out base's DAPA administrator and by her stats, well over 70% of those who did get popped for stronger drugs mentioned they only did those drugs cause they also did weed..
    You will find that the Young sailor probably had consumed alcohol and consumed a caffeine, does that make them gateway drugs?

Do you really believe that someone in a anti-drug positions is a reliable source? That is like asking a Baptist minister for advice on science.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post

Why should the govt be the ones financing the study?
    Because government regulations have made it almost impossible for others to do even moderate scale studies. MJ is considered as dangerous as heroin by the DEA, of course jobs and power at the DEA depend on keeping as many drugs illegal as possible,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    When I joined, they asked if I ever had, and I said yes. The only way to get in trouble would be if I said "No", then it was found out later that I had. And I joined in '93, so that's not a new thing.
    I guess I should have caveated that with "unless declared on their application". Wasn't sure how they treated an applicant that declared they had. Thanks.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by retiredAFcivvy View Post
    I guess I should have caveated that with "unless declared on their application". Wasn't sure how they treated an applicant that declared they had. Thanks.
    Though recruiters do't seem to care. I wasn't told specifically to lie, but I was told "Don't forget, the answer to everything is 'NO'." They just care about their recruiting numbers, not the well being of the recruits. I wonder if that would hold up as an argument by someone who didn't declare, then was found out to have lied.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Though recruiters do't seem to care. I wasn't told specifically to lie, but I was told "Don't forget, the answer to everything is 'NO'." They just care about their recruiting numbers, not the well being of the recruits. I wonder if that would hold up as an argument by someone who didn't declare, then was found out to have lied.
    I have seen more than one person NJP'd for violating Art. 83: Fraudulent Enlistment. Most involved drug issues. A few used the "my recruiter told me to say that" defense; it worked for none of them. Two were separated from the military over it. No idea if anything happened to the recruiter.

I imagine it would be hard to prove in an isolated manner since it would be a 'he said vs. he said' type argument and we are biased toward the guy we 'know' (the recruiter) vice the guy we don't (the recruit). If a particular recruiter had a high percentage of recruits who fraudulently enlisted there may be something more to go on.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 11-28-2015 at 07:03 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I have seen more than one person NJP'd for violating Art. 83: Fraudulent Enlistment. Most involved drug issues. A few used the "my recruiter told me to say that" defense; it worked for none of them. Two were separated from the military over it. No idea if anything happened to the recruiter.

I imagine it would be hard to prove in an isolated manner since it would be a 'he said vs. he said' type argument and we are biased toward the guy we 'know' (the recruiter) vice the guy we don't (the recruit). If a particular recruiter had a high percentage of recruits who fraudulently enlisted there may be something more to go on.
    It's really kind of screwed up, especially for those with no life experience. I was 18 at the time, just out of high school, and really didn't know any better. The only thing that really kept me from saying "NO" when asked if I'd ever smoked pot was the way the guy at MEPs asked it. If he wouldn't have pushed, I would have said "NO" because I trusted my recruiter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's really kind of screwed up, especially for those with no life experience. I was 18 at the time, just out of high school, and really didn't know any better. The only thing that really kept me from saying "NO" when asked if I'd ever smoked pot was the way the guy at MEPs asked it. If he wouldn't have pushed, I would have said "NO" because I trusted my recruiter.
    Yes and no.

I can forgive an 18 year old lying about a traffic violation, a few of them ... minor drug use etc.

I would be a bit less forgiving of a recruit lying about who was involved with drug dealing, heavy drugs or a lengthy arrest record.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I remember that conversation with my recruiter, too. Before he asked the question, he pre-briefed me to "think about this...like if you did something sometime in the past, but never got arrested or caught...then, there is no record of it anywhere; so, there would be no way of it ever coming back to you."
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I remember that conversation with my recruiter, too. Before he asked the question, he pre-briefed me to "think about this...like if you did something sometime in the past, but never got arrested or caught...then, there is no record of it anywhere; so, there would be no way of it ever coming back to you."
    Yeah...that must be how they were "unofficially" briefed to ask the question at the time. I don't know if it's still like that or not. Honestly, I don't even know why it has ever been a question. They didn't ask me if I'd ever had alcohol, and I was underage.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Get a job Spicoli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdX522pMjio