Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Marijuana

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Interesting discussion. First off, let me say I've never used marijuana, nor do I intend to use it, but I've been to parties where it was used. I used to think marijuana was dangerous but over the last 10 years I've changed my mind. I do believe within the next 10 years, most marijuana laws will be eased or repealed.

Medical marijuana, IMO, does have some benefits but it is not a panacea for all conditions. I favor multiple government funded studies to determine its effectiveness on different types of diseases/ailments, at what levels the THC will impair someone (think alcohol/weight charts), and what the long-term effect will be.

Until the studies are concluded, I favor reclassifying marijuana from a Schedule I drug to a Schedule V drug. Doctors will be able to write a prescription for medical marijuana use that can be filled at any local pharmacy (provided the pharmacy is willing to include marijuana in its inventory) or marijuana dispensary. The DEA can require pharmacies to provide them monthly with data indicating which doctors prescribe marijuana and how many prescriptions were written/filled (no patient information is to be included in this data to the DEA)to ensure doctors aren't abusing or over-prescribing.

When the studies are completed and if they show marijuana isn't as dangerous as some believe, then make marijuana an over-the-counter drug and treat it the same way as alcohol. Require marijuana be sold only to those who are 21 or older. Also, the DEA can limit the total amount of THC in the product. This will allow a standardization throughout the industry much like what is done in the liquor business. States will make the determination and write/change their laws determining the levels of THC in the system for someone to be considered under the influence as well as the laws concerning the types of businesses that can sell marijuana.

I think some people will agree with me and some won't, so please, let's start talking about where we agree and where we disagree and see if we can reach a compromise.
    It should be reclassified as everything else I can grow in my garden/green house. The only regulation should be for the pharmacies, as you stated. If it's a prescription, it can have certain standards. But there shouldn't be any laws about what THC levels, etc, if I'm growing my own. As long as I'm not selling it to kids, why should anyone care?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It should be reclassified as everything else I can grow in my garden/green house. The only regulation should be for the pharmacies, as you stated. If it's a prescription, it can have certain standards. But there shouldn't be any laws about what THC levels, etc, if I'm growing my own. As long as I'm not selling it to kids, why should anyone care?
    I don't think it should be reclassified as "everything else" but I really don't have a problem if you want to grow it in your garden/green house for your personal use. It's really isn't anything different than brewing your own beer or wine.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The problem with this argument is that it can also be used to justify people having meth labs in their homes.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    The problem with this argument is that it can also be used to justify people having meth labs in their homes.
    Except that meth is recognized by everyone as being harmful. Even so, as long as nobody breaks any laws, what does it really matter?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Except that meth is recognized by everyone as being harmful. Even so, as long as nobody breaks any laws, what does it really matter?
    I don't know much about meth, to be honest, as I've never known people personally who use it or has been affected by those who have. I live in the Ocean View area of Norfolk, so the only thing I really know is how to tell a meth addict when I see one (lots of street walkers up and down Ocean View Ave, with fucked up faces due to meth).

I can speak on crack, however. My mother got addicted to it when I was 14 years old. And, to be honest, I was lucky. I simply no longer got an allowance, and every now and then I would wake up in the morning to find Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo cartridges missing.

Crack came out when I was five. I've seen kids go days without eating, go without electricity or water, and all kinds of other stuff because of their parents' addictions.

I also learned of prostitution at the age of 7, when I found that the janitors of a housing project I lived in in New London were pimping some of the female residents... one of whom happened to be the mother of a friend. In the janitor's gear locker, they actually created a poster with naked Polaroid pictures of the women they were pimping. The mother of the friend? She was a crack addict.

I'm under the impression that meth has addicted parents doing similar things, but I'm not sure. Point is... legalization of all drugs solely on the basis of it being one's own body is a fail, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 11-27-2015 at 04:37 AM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I think marijuana has some legitimate medical benefits.

But, I think 90% of the people fighting for/participating in/selling, or otherwise involved in "medical marijuana" are more or less inventing or exaggerating bogus conditions to participate in what is essentially recreational use. They just wanna smoke pot, sell pot, etc.

I support recreational marijuana legalization...I think it's minimally dangerous, probably less than alcohol is, and that making it illegal is what makes it surrounded by criminal elements.

I've never actually tried marijuana myself...but if it was entirely legal, I'm sure I would.

What say you?
    It'd probably be ok if it just stopped with that. But, you know it won't be enough for the progressive horde of degeneracy which is invading our once great Western culture

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I don't buy it at all. That's like saying that people who become alcoholics started by drinking just one beer. Is it true? Sure, but it's the person who becomes the alcoholic, not the alcohol that makes them drink more. Same thing for drugs.
    True, its not the same, but of those i know of who did get popped for drugs (hard), very few claimed they only started WITH the hard stuff, compared to a lot who said they got into it after toking up with MJ.

I favor multiple government funded studies to determine its effectiveness on different types of diseases/ailments, at what levels the THC will impair someone (think alcohol/weight charts), and what the long-term effect will be.
    Why should the govt be the ones financing the study?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    True, its not the same, but of those i know of who did get popped for drugs (hard), very few claimed they only started WITH the hard stuff, compared to a lot who said they got into it after toking up with MJ.

I don't doubt what your saying. I just don't consider it a cause and effect situation. Those on hard drugs would find their way there one way or the other. And one of the big reasons they get there is because of the difficulty of access to pot. If pot was readily available, I'd bet that there would be far fewer people who used the hard stuff.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Meth labs are dangerous and I sure as hell wouldn't want one in an apartment building.

The damn things are prone to exploding and some of the chemicals they use can produce deadly gases.

Heck, I wouldn't want a moonshine still in an apartment building either.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    The main reason I want to see marijuana legalized is to take away that income stream from organized crime.

I'd also like to see the income from cocaine, heroin and meth taken away from organized crime.

I'm not sure how that could be done with those three drugs because I don't see any company that would want to sell those three drugs legally.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...