Thread: Bryant, Manning

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Bryant, Manning

I'm not a big NBA fan. I'm like basketball, but not the NBA too much.

Nevertheless, I turned on the Golden State Warriors vs. LA Lakers last night because of the potential of an NBA record 16-0 start for the Warriors. The game was, as expected, a blowout.

Kobe Bryant was terrible...worst game of his professional career, shooting 1 for 14 from the field.

One of the announcers quoted the coach saying something like, "Kobe has earned the right to take bad shots"...or something like that...basically the gist was that because of his awesome career, we owe it to him to let him play it out, even if he's not the best option anymore...but, he's done so much for the Lakers over his career.

I kind of think this is happening with Peyton Manning, too. Not what he used to be, but they won't just bench a healthy Peyton Manning...

There is also the idea, probably, that good or bad...the fans want to see Kobe and Peyton play while they still have a chance. Reminds me of the B.B. King concert I saw a couple years ago...he was getting up in age and wasn't the same, played a couple good classics, but did a lot of rambling and inside jokes with the band, not really a great show...didn't matter, we were still getting to see B.B. play.

OTOH, I've always thought of sports and kind of the great true free market...you produce or you're out. Win or be gone...no sympathy, no worker programs, affirmative action, etc....you either perform at the highest level or you don't play. I was really surprised to hear that coach would play Kobe, even if he's not the best option for the team.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    OTOH, I've always thought of sports and kind of the great true free market...you produce or you're out. Win or be gone...no sympathy, no worker programs, affirmative action, etc....you either perform at the highest level or you don't play. I was really surprised to hear that coach would play Kobe, even if he's not the best option for the team.
    Yeah, right. How long did it take to bench RGIII and start Kirk cousins? People feel obligated to use something if they paid alot of money for it, instead of writing it off as a loss. We all do that in life, and sports is no different.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Yeah, right. How long did it take to bench RGIII and start Kirk cousins? People feel obligated to use something if they paid alot of money for it, instead of writing it off as a loss. We all do that in life, and sports is no different.
    Well, that's trying to develop an investment...I don't think that's what's going on with Bryant and Manning...more like sticking with them based on their past legacy.

RGIII is a young talent...that maybe could improve/develop with some snaps, etc. Manning and Bryant are aging out...they aren't going to get better with playing time.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    It's sad to see old players who hang on way too long. Very few get out on top of their game, but Manning and Bryant are still hanging on to what they were. Of course Manning is chasing a bunch of records which he will probably pass if he can play a couple more games this year.

As far as having "earned" taking bad shots, I can see it in the case of Bryant. The Lakers suck and are going nowhere whether he shoots or not. But with Manning, his team actually has a chance to compete, so it's in the best interest of his team to bench him.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    It's sad to see old players who hang on way too long. Very few get out on top of their game, but Manning and Bryant are still hanging on to what they were. Of course Manning is chasing a bunch of records which he will probably pass if he can play a couple more games this year.

As far as having "earned" taking bad shots, I can see it in the case of Bryant. The Lakers suck and are going nowhere whether he shoots or not. But with Manning, his team actually has a chance to compete, so it's in the best interest of his team to bench him.
    Yeah...kind of like the Joe Namath thing. I was too young to really remember him in his heyday, so I mostly remember him as a washed up, sucky QB with bad knees. There are young fans that will only remember Kobe and Peyton that way if they stick around much longer.

I think they both might be done at the end of this year, though...Kobe probably doesn't last the season once he gets hurt again.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Yeah...kind of like the Joe Namath thing. I was too young to really remember him in his heyday, so I mostly remember him as a washed up, sucky QB with bad knees. There are young fans that will only remember Kobe and Peyton that way if they stick around much longer.

I think they both might be done at the end of this year, though...Kobe probably doesn't last the season once he gets hurt again.
    Jerry Rice was kind of in between...like Favre. Not completely useless, just not near what they were in their prime. I'm curious to see what happens with Brady. He still looks really good, but so did Manning, until he didn't.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Jerry Rice was kind of in between...like Favre. Not completely useless, just not near what they were in their prime. I'm curious to see what happens with Brady. He still looks really good, but so did Manning, until he didn't.
    Beginnning of last season Brady looked bad...couldn't throw downfield. Then he turned it around and has looked as good as ever....crazy.

It's gotta be hard to know the right time to go...you wanna still be good until the last, but if you are, then, you feel like you left something there and can still play another year...

I hope Tony Stewart goes out competitive next year...the last three years have been bad...last weekend I went back and watched the 2011 Championship race on youtube....he was at his best there, man that was great...nothing like that swagger since.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 11-25-2015 at 08:49 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Beginnning of last season Brady looked bad...couldn't throw downfield. Then he turned it around and has looked as good as ever....crazy.

It's gotta be hard to know the right time to go...you wanna still be good until the last, but if you are, then, you feel like you left something there and can still play another year...

I hope Tony Stewart goes out competitive next year...the last three years have been bad...last weekend I went back and watched the 2011 Championship race on youtube....he was at his best there, man that was great...nothing like that swagger since.
    I really think he is racing scared. You don't be involved in a guys death and not have it affect you. I remember watching Richard Petty his last few years. It must be hard to stay in racing when you know you're not even going to be in the top 20. A team sport is a little easier because those around you can make up the difference. But with racing, golf, tennis, & other solo sports, I can't figure out what keeps people going...except the love of the sport.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I really think he is racing scared. You don't be involved in a guys death and not have it affect you. I remember watching Richard Petty his last few years.
    I agree, he's lost his agressivness...always opts to "let him go and get him later" instead of racing hard like he used to...he used to make some incredible aggressive moves...now, he's just like "oh, the car is loose or tight, we gotta fix that"...the cars are never perfect.

God, I remember Petty's last years, he was getting oxygen pumped into his mask and couldn't take the heat anymore...

It must be hard to stay in racing when you know you're not even going to be in the top 20. A team sport is a little easier because those around you can make up the difference. But with racing, golf, tennis, & other solo sports, I can't figure out what keeps people going...except the love of the sport.
    I think all of those are hard if you were once a champion and regular contender. I mean for the guys that have always been in the back, they are happy to be there at the top level...and maybe get a shot at winning a restrictor plate race or something...

Yeah, Tiger Woods is another one...I don't think he's ever catching Jack...probably won't win another major let alone four, there are too many good young players out there and he can't stay healthy long enough to get his game back to that level...I mean winning four majors is a Hall of Fame career in itself, do we really think he can have a HOF career starting now?
    The Voice of Reason