Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pete Rose

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    ...and Babe Ruth's records should have an asterisk next to them, too....he played in a segregated all-white league....so, the talent he played against was much diluted
    I know it's all the rage with the Diversity Proselytizing crowd to say that. However, Ruth's numbers in his barnstorming career (Mostly played in Latin America) are pretty consistent with his MLB numbers.

In 800 exhibition games he hit over 300 Home Runs and yes the best black players of the day played in these leagues as well.

http://www.amazon.ca/Year-Babe-Ruth-.../dp/0786719060

He also played 15 games head to head with Josh Gibson (The black Babe Ruth) and statistically out performed him.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 11-27-2015 at 04:39 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    It's the offseason for Major League Baseball, but big news is coming soon. Commissioner Rob Manfred says he will decide by the end of the month whether to reinstate Pete Rose.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...tate-pete-rose
    Decision coming soon...

I think he will be reinstated...but, everyone is assuming that hte minute he gets reinstated, he'll be in the HOF.

I'm sort of thinking a lot of HOF voters will be against him being reinstated, so even if he is, they may vote against him and and might not get in the HOF...
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Decision coming soon...

I think he will be reinstated...but, everyone is assuming that hte minute he gets reinstated, he'll be in the HOF.

I'm sort of thinking a lot of HOF voters will be against him being reinstated, so even if he is, they may vote against him and and might not get in the HOF...
    Well, here you go. Not gonna happen.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...life/77299856/

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Well, here you go. Not gonna happen.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...life/77299856/
    I'm disappointed.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I'm disappointed.
    Yeah, me too. I'm sure it probably has more to do with Rose being a prick than anything else. He is one of the top 10 players of all time, IMO. What pisses me off is that the stuff that got him banned took place when he was a manager. Why he can't go into the hall as a player is beyond me.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, me too. I'm sure it probably has more to do with Rose being a prick than anything else. He is one of the top 10 players of all time, IMO. What pisses me off is that the stuff that got him banned took place when he was a manager. Why he can't go into the hall as a player is beyond me.
    I think he was still player/manager at that point, not sure...but, yeah.

So, the commish did say this is separate from the HOF...maybe the HOF just made their rules that if banned from baseball you're ineligible or something...so maybe it's the HOF that needs to change.

It seems crazy that he's served this long banishment while active NFL players are allowed to have fantasy teams on Draftkings
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Looking like what did him in is that he stated he still bets on baseball to this day...

Seems like he could find something else to bet on, I dunno. This was probably his last best chance...might as well go about doing whatever he wants to now.

I hope FS1 keeps him around, though...
    The Voice of Reason

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Agreed! Pete Rose deserves the HOF.