Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Can we now at long last...................

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Can we now at long last...................

.........call it Islamic Terrorism?

I realize it is a bit too soon (meaning that claimed credit hasn't been confirmed) but I am fairly comfortable climbing out on that limb.

I imagine every French citizen has no problem with the label.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    .........call it Islamic Terrorism?

I realize it is a bit too soon (meaning that claimed credit hasn't been confirmed) but I am fairly comfortable climbing out on that limb.

I imagine every French citizen has no problem with the label.
    Unlike the US, France is a nation state. They don't get to be held to same standard.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I sure as heck would have no issue calling it what it is.. ISLAMIC terrorism.. but i bet that Obama won't utter those 2 words together..

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Unlike the US, France is a nation state. They don't get to be held to same standard.
    What? Not that I understand your point (AA help me out) but the US is NOT a nation-state?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I sure as heck would have no issue calling it what it is.. ISLAMIC terrorism.. but i bet that Obama won't utter those 2 words together..
    Dubya never uttered those two words together either. Furthermore, Ted Cruz and Bobby Jindal seem to be the only ones who really care about that.

There are Christian terrorist groups as well. Like the Lord's Resistance Army, led by Jospeh Kony. As soon as Obama mentions sending in troops to Uganda to stop them, Rush Limbaugh and others attribute it to his "war on Christianity."
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    What? Not that I understand your point (AA help me out) but the US is NOT a nation-state?
    A nation state is a country centered around a particular ethnic group. "American" is a nationality. It means you're a citizen of the US. However, "American" is not an ethnicity. "French" is.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    A nation state is a country centered around a particular ethnic group. "American" is a nationality. It means you're a citizen of the US. However, "American" is not an ethnicity. "French" is.
    You don't know much about France in 2015 do you.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    You don't know much about France in 2015 do you.
    What, that's a diverse country? I know that. That doesn't change the fact that it's still a nation state. Furthermore, the French government recognizes all citizens as ethnically French, whether they are or not.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Dubya never uttered those two words together either. Furthermore, Ted Cruz and Bobby Jindal seem to be the only ones who really care about that.

There are Christian terrorist groups as well. Like the Lord's Resistance Army, led by Jospeh Kony. As soon as Obama mentions sending in troops to Uganda to stop them, Rush Limbaugh and others attribute it to his "war on Christianity."
    That was predictable. When the LRA can come within even the same universe as ISIS and other ISLAMIC TERRORIST groups then you would have cogent and relevant comparison.

Am I right in reading that this is somehow Bush's fault?

Listen, this isn't a huge deal. The fact is that most people with approximately a 101 IQ realize the what we are seeing in France tonight and around the world for decades is Islamic Terrorism. Instead of simply making the message the we shouldn't paint an entire religion because of the actions of a minority (although that minority numbers more than 350 million) instead a great deal of effort and time is spent bending the narrative. Time and effort which doesn't help and some would say emboldens the 350 million 'minority'

For the reasonable and intelligent this isn't a Dem or GOP issue it is common sense.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    That was predictable. When the LRA can come within even the same universe as ISIS and other ISLAMIC TERRORIST groups then you would have cogent and relevant comparison.
    The size and power is irrelavant. The point is, Christian terrorist groups do exist. But you and garhkal don't want to talk about "Christian terrorism." It only matters to point out religion when they're not Christian.

Am I right in reading that this is somehow Bush's fault?
    Man... I mention Bush, and all of a sudden I'm saying "it's Bush's fault," right? What I'm saying is that garhkal is unfairly singling Obama out for something that even the politicians that he supports are likely guilty of themselves.

Listen, this isn't a huge deal. The fact is that most people with approximately a 101 IQ realize the what we are seeing in France tonight and around the world for decades is Islamic Terrorism. Instead of simply making the message the we shouldn't paint an entire religion because of the actions of a minority (although that minority numbers more than 350 million) instead a great deal of effort and time is spent bending the narrative. Time and effort which doesn't help and some would say emboldens the 350 million 'minority'

For the reasonable and intelligent this isn't a Dem or GOP issue it is common sense.
    Maybe, and I'm not really worried about that. Garhkal has had his views of Islam long before today, and he's treating this incident like a smoking gun.