Thread: He was a Veteran, so what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He was a Veteran, so what?

Anytime there is a story where a person is the victim of a crime or commits a crime, it is always brought up if he/she was a veteran. 99.7% of the time, their veteran status had absolutely nothing to do with the story."Army veteran contracts gonorrhea from Las Vegas brothel". Nothing to do with the story."Air Force veteran who served 4 years and got out 20 years ago robs liquor store". Nothing to do with the story."Navy veteran victim of gorilla ass raping". Maybe something to do with the story, but probably not.My point is, if the veteran status has nothing to so with the story, why is it always mentioned? If I'm ever the victim of a crime (or commit a crime) I hope it is brought up that I also was a BMX racer in the late 70s and 80s.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Mata,

The case against me was dropped, in the now famous, 'Gorilla *** Rape' case, for want of enough evidence. Try to not be making me look bad, OK?

I owe you one, my friend.
    Theirs not to question why, theirs but to do and die, into the valley of spam, rode the Super Moderators

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I think many times it could be used to develop an angle to the story that the veteran has had trouble coping with the consequences of their service.

However if that angle isn't developed in the story, it probably shouldn't be used.

In most publications, an editor writes the headline for the story, not the story writer.

The editors are charged with coming up with the most eye catching headline they can think of.

Stories about military veterans catch more attention than stories about BMX veterans.

They want people to read the stories. If a person is a veteran, it is likely to be mentioned.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Newbie - (Restricted)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mata Leao View Post
    Anytime there is a story where a person is the victim of a crime or commits a crime, it is always brought up if he/she was a veteran. 99.7% of the time, their veteran status had absolutely nothing to do with the story.
    Moronic Journalist that have no idea how to properly frame a story.

It's the type of Journalist that creates headlines such as .... Bad Weather Cause Accidents....... Icy Roads Blamed for Crash..... Never anything said about the Driver driving too fast for conditions to blame. It's always the weather's fault ! Really ?

Watch the News or read the Newspaper headlines the next time bad weather comes into your area.

Shiiitty Journalism.