Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F35 Helmet is too heavy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

F35 Helmet is too heavy

Air Force Times: http://www.airforcetimes.com/story/m...eavy/74467222/

The F-35 helmet is back in the news again after Defense News, sister publication of Air Force Times, reported that F-35 pilots weighing less than 136 pounds were grounded due to concerns with the plane
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    I have never seen a 136 pound officer with a 22 1/2 inch neck, such as I have. Put them there pilots on weight training, and a protein rich diet! That way, they can be called Pilot Neck. Just sayin'...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    I can hear it now. 'This helmet is too heavy'. 'It doesn't match with my handbag'. 'It makes my butt look huge'. 'But the old steel pot was like 10 pounds, and we are pilots. We demand a lighter helmet'. 'It doesn't really do virtual reality.I can't 'see' my video games'. 'They won't let me wear it to that Halloween party'. 'I thought that it had lasers built into it. If I can't destroy my CO for making me wear it with a built in laser, I am not wearing it.' 'This hatty thingy messes up my hair'. 'Why doesn't it have those very cool WW1/WW2 goggles attached'.

And, 'Black is the new black. I likes it.'

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    “Today our helmets weigh about 5.4 pounds, so we’re talking about six ounces of weight to get out of the helmet,” Bogdan told the House Armed Services subcommittee on tactical air and land forces Oct. 21. “We need a lighter helmet, it’s as simple as that.”
    Seems like it would be a lot easier to pack a few pounds on the pilots...
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Wait....we're talking about the F-35! How is it not built that the pilots would never have to eject from it??

That would imply imperfections in the trillion dollar program aircraft!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Salty Old Dog, you must face towards the Pentagon and kneel, 5 times per day, while mumbling "All Hail The Pentagon And All That Practice Their Dark Deeds Within It".

But you knew that, right?
    Theirs not to question why, theirs but to do and die, into the valley of spam, rode the Super Moderators

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The most interesting part:

"But Dan Grazier, with the Project on Government Oversight, questioned why the military was spending money on a complicated technological fix to an easily solved problem. If the military is concerned about pilot visibility, then it should have made it easier for pilots to see from the cockpit rather than trying to allow them to see through the cockpit, he said."

Seriously, what happened to technology being an extension, not a replacement, to the warfighter? Might as well just make the cockpit completely transparent if looking beneath the craft is of such prime importance.
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Rollyn, you know that the F35 can do vertical landings. The reason for the 'see through' cockpits are because of when a tired Marine is finally allowed to go home, the pilot must be able to 'see' the parking space in front of his apartment.
    Theirs not to question why, theirs but to do and die, into the valley of spam, rode the Super Moderators

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    Rollyn, you know that the F35 can do vertical landings. The reason for the 'see through' cockpits are because of when a drunk Marine is finally allowed to go home, the pilot must be able to 'see' the parking space in front of his apartment.
    Fixed that for ya. And Happy Birthday to all of you Marine fucks who don't give a shit about anything less that getting the job done.
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Ummm ... thanks, Rollyn ...