View Poll Results: In your opinion, which best describes the subject individual?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brilliant scientist

1 20.00%
  • Smart guy, but more educator than scientist

3 60.00%
  • Pretty smart, but more entertainer than educator or scientist

0 0%
  • Just another dumb liberal that don't know shit

0 0%
  • Other: specify

1 20.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Neil Degrasse Tyson

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Bos,

I think that you meant STEAMpunk. That really isn't something to laugh about. Those guys are the real scientists. And rich, to be able to afford such cool looking duds. All of those scientifimific gadgets being displayed in their housing units really do amaze me.

What I don't understand is why Abby from NCIS not being a steampunk type scientist, though. Sleeps in a coffin? What ever floats her boat, I guess.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I mentioned that he was a liberal...not black. I really could give two shits what that guy thinks of anything, and the last thing I'd wanna do on this forum is bait some more bullshit.
    I'm just screwing with you, I'm sure you'd never be so childish.

Me?

I would and do lay traps for Rainmaker to charge into.

Was comparing some of the GOP leaders in the climate change/global warming debate.

Pope: Do something about Global Warming
    Boehner:The Pope is no scientist, he should stick to what he knows, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Tyson: We need to do something about Global Warming
    Boehner: I'm no scientist and not qualified to debate the topic, but Obama sucks, so if he proposes something, I need to be against it.

So, okay, neither the Pope nor Boehner are scientists, but Tyson is...then the GOP refuses to debate the issue or will pull out some guy you never heard of to cherry pick data to show how global warming theorists "can't explain that"...it's BS.

Okay, Ben Carson was a wonderful brain surgeon, but he can't explain savants, so let's just disregard what he thinks he knows about the brain...

...was just curious as to the overall perception people have of him and whether or not they respected his scientific chops in this instance or would dismiss him as a just another liberal since his scientific opinion disagrees with their politics
    That is a pretty good illustration of political rhetoric. I'm tempted to start a thread on climate change, it is something I'd like to have a conversation about, but there are so many moving parts to that topic.

In short, I'm convinced that the climate changes, it is part of a natural process.

Does human activity in the form of CO2 emissions contribute to it? Probably, but I'm unsure to what degree.

Can we stop using fossil fuels? No.

I have serious doubts that any mitigation efforts would be effective at keeping the climate static, they are too many variables involved with what drives oscillations in the climate over long periods.

I think we should face the facts and focus on adaptation to a changing climate.

Mitigation efforts like Al Gore's proposed Cap and Trade legislation are ridiculous.

I missed that one...but seems like that wouldn't be a scientific topic, so Tyson's opinion is just another political opinion. I'm more interested in how he influences the debate when politics meet science...

I think so. One his favorite moments for me was once he was on The Daily Show and he walks in, looks at Jon Stewart and says, "Hey, your globe is spinning the wrong way."...it still does, I believe.

Also recently read an article about the impact of The Big Bang TV show on kids going into STEM...don't recall the details, but the hypothesis was that the show actually made a positive impact on making going into STEM kinda cool.
    I think we agree here.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    Bos,

I think that you meant STEAMpunk. That really isn't something to laugh about. Those guys are the real scientists. And rich, to be able to afford such cool looking duds. All of those scientifimific gadgets being displayed in their housing units really do amaze me.

What I don't understand is why Abby from NCIS not being a steampunk type scientist, though. Sleeps in a coffin? What ever floats her boat, I guess.
    How in the hell did an old timer like you learn about Steam Punks?
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    I am the Original Steampunk. I don't understand why all of the newer adherents to steam and all of it's wonders are not inviting me to all of their Steamparties, though. One would think that they would respect a guy that had steam blowing out of his ears, while doing my thing as a Drill Instructor.

The origin of the Campaign cover (or hat to non Marines) was in the 1840s, so wearing of such head covering devices fits well into the age of Steamy Goodness.

Kids. What are we going to do with them? Besides steaming them like broccoli, that is. I am getting steamed, at all of those punks.

I do believe that the next time that I am not invited, I will attend anyway, along with my dog Steampup.

steampup.jpg
    Last edited by UncaRastus; 10-29-2015 at 05:26 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The Voice of Reason