View Poll Results: In your opinion, which best describes the subject individual?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brilliant scientist

1 20.00%
  • Smart guy, but more educator than scientist

3 60.00%
  • Pretty smart, but more entertainer than educator or scientist

0 0%
  • Just another dumb liberal that don't know shit

0 0%
  • Other: specify

1 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Neil Degrasse Tyson

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    If Tyson was white the average person would've never heard of him.
    So is Bill Bye black too?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I had not actually even considered his race...
    puh leeze!
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-28-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Bill Nye went to Sidwell friends ( one of the 13 elite private schools).. So he's connected.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Or Carl Sagan?
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Bill Nye went to Sidwell friend ( one of the 13 elite private schools).. So he's connected.
    Bill Nye has been a household name for over 20 years now, ever since he had his own television show. The average American has only heard of Tyson within the last five years or so. Seriously, dude. You've got problems.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Yes it's transparent. And like good little liberals I'm sure you and @BoS mutas will sport wood every time that the black brain surgeon Dr. Carson speaks tonight.
    Are you fucking shitting me? Talk about someone getting to where they are because of their race... let's talk about Ben Carson!

I'm not talking about his career as a neurosurgeon. I'm talking about where he currently stands among the GOP candidates.

What we're going to see in the debates is the same thing we saw in the last two: Ben Carson is going to get asked a question that only someone with experience in public office or as a corporate executive can answer, and he's going to use his charisma to answer with some motivational and inspirational sounding bullshit that completely misses the question. Or, he's going to answer the question with "Well, you see, the real question is (insert something that he feels he has a better answer to); and the answer to that is (blah, blah, inspirational sounding bullshit, blah, blah)."

No, Ben, the real question is the one you were asked!

His charisma isn't that hard to see past, and any reasonable person can see that he has no business even being mayor of a small podunk town whose budget is only in the hundreds, let alone President. The people who are captivated by his shitty charisma show exactly why he's doing so well: there are far too many conservatives who want to parade their token black guy around. It especially makes them look good after bashing Obama after eight years, at least they think it does.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 10-28-2015 at 08:43 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    So is Bill Nye black too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Or Carl Sagan?
    Good comparisons.

As far as I know, while Bill Nye certainly has a scientific background and some credibility as an engineer...but, he is primarily an educator, and without his TV popularity, he's not really a "leading scientist", to my knowledge...his primary contribution has been as an educator of science, which has opened up opportunities for him to sit on advisory boards and such.

Carl Sagan, on the other hand, was a leading scientist who also happened to write books and do TV shows for lay people....but his first gig is as a scientist...his primary contribution has been as a scientist, which has opened doors for him to be on TV and write books.

Tyson, seems to me, to be somewhere in between...though, I'm honestly not read up on his scientific achievements...it seems they are legitimate and credible as a scientist in their own right...but, he's become more well-known, of course, for bringing his astrophysics knowledge to pop culture. I'm not sure if he would be considered a "leading scientist" for his scientific work alone or not...or if he is more of a random scientist who found a niche communicating about science in pop culture.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 10-28-2015 at 05:34 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    If Tyson was white the average person would've never heard of him.

Due to the fact that this was over the line, this part was deleted. You know better, Rainmaker.
    Don't worry Rainmaker, I saw it before it was censored.

Ben doesn't do much for me that way, but Carly Fiorina does!

Grrrr!

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I had not actually even considered his race...was more interested in his scientific credentials vs. political leanings.
    Not sure if I believe you, that seemed like it was specially crafted for Rainmaker to do his Rainmaker thing.

I will admit that Neil Degrasse Tyson bugs me with his politics sometimes. Most recently when he had his Twitter exchange with Edward Snowden.

However, I can listen to him talk about the universe all day long. I think he is good at what he does, and there is a real need for scientists that are charismatic enough to be on TV.

Guys like Tyson are the ones who land funding for research.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Not sure if I believe you, that seemed like it was specially crafted for Rainmaker to do his Rainmaker thing.
    I mentioned that he was a liberal...not black. I really could give two shits what that guy thinks of anything, and the last thing I'd wanna do on this forum is bait some more bullshit.

Was comparing some of the GOP leaders in the climate change/global warming debate.

Pope: Do something about Global Warming
    Boehner:The Pope is no scientist, he should stick to what he knows, he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Tyson: We need to do something about Global Warming
    Boehner: I'm no scientist and not qualified to debate the topic, but Obama sucks, so if he proposes something, I need to be against it.

So, okay, neither the Pope nor Boehner are scientists, but Tyson is...then the GOP refuses to debate the issue or will pull out some guy you never heard of to cherry pick data to show how global warming theorists "can't explain that"...it's BS.

Okay, Ben Carson was a wonderful brain surgeon, but he can't explain savants, so let's just disregard what he thinks he knows about the brain...

...was just curious as to the overall perception people have of him and whether or not they respected his scientific chops in this instance or would dismiss him as a just another liberal since his scientific opinion disagrees with their politics

I will admit that Neil Degrasse Tyson bugs me with his politics sometimes. Most recently when he had his Twitter exchange with Edward Snowden
    I missed that one...but seems like that wouldn't be a scientific topic, so Tyson's opinion is just another political opinion. I'm more interested in how he influences the debate when politics meet science...

However, I can listen to him talk about the universe all day long. I think he is good at what he does, and there is a real need for scientists that are charismatic enough to be on TV.
    I think so. One his favorite moments for me was once he was on The Daily Show and he walks in, looks at Jon Stewart and says, "Hey, your globe is spinning the wrong way."...it still does, I believe.

Guys like Tyson are the ones who land funding for research.
    Also recently read an article about the impact of The Big Bang TV show on kids going into STEM...don't recall the details, but the hypothesis was that the show actually made a positive impact on making going into STEM kinda cool.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 10-29-2015 at 02:42 PM.
    The Voice of Reason