Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are animals so dumb?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Why are animals so dumb?

So, not really an "evolution" question or a religion question...

...but, it seems people like to say certain animals are really smart, or almost as smart as humans...chimps, dolphins, dogs, etc.

No doubt some of them can be smart "for an animal"....but why after 1000s of years of watching us has no other species done so much as invent a wheel, or manufacturing processes, or even written language for themselves? How far ahead in technology would man be by now if we had a more advanced species to watch all this time?

You would think by now there would've been some genius chimpanzees that could invent stuff (modeling ours at least) and make life better in the chimp world...
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Opposed thumbs and aeroplanes would be my guess.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Well... dolphins are highly intelligent, but the fact that they don't have anthropomorphic bodies renders their intelligence useless.

You really can't go by human standards when evaluating the intelligence of other animals, because we all have different primary senses. In humans, for example, our primary sense is sight. This is the same with all higher primates (i.e., apes and monkeys). We have the best vision of all mammals. Our eyes are positioned at the front of our heads for depth perception (because most primates live in the trees, and depth perception is necessary for safe movement between trees), and we have the best color perception. Also, we have a very horrible sense of smell. For other animals, it's the opposite. Like for dogs. They go by sense of smell. Mice and rats go by sense of touch.

So you can't use the same means to test the intelligence of different animals.

Humans can be the real dumb ones at times. For example, there used to be a cartoon that I watched as child in the late 1980's called Visionaries. It took place in a post-apocalyptic future, where all technology suddenly disappeared and humans had to rediscover magic, wizadry, sorcery, witchcraft, or whatever you want to call it.

It had me thinking about what would really happen to us if we were stripped of all technology... AND, it was made so that the people who did invent these things never existed. Would we be able to reinvent those things quickly and move on with our lives? I doubt it. We're just a bunch of dumb asses who know how to use the things that people way smarter than us invented.

Or, here's another example... why are we the only species that has to pay for food? There are children starving to death in third world countries and, in those same countries, large animals that eat 50 lbs of food per day are doing just fine? Some of those animals may be endangered species, but they're not dying of starvation.

I think we give ourselves too much credit.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Well... dolphins are highly intelligent, but the fact that they don't have anthropomorphic bodies renders their intelligence useless.

You really can't go by human standards when evaluating the intelligence of other animals, because we all have different primary senses. In humans, for example, our primary sense is sight. This is the same with all higher primates (i.e., apes and monkeys). We have the best vision of all mammals. Our eyes are positioned at the front of our heads for depth perception (because most primates live in the trees, and depth perception is necessary for safe movement between trees), and we have the best color perception. Also, we have a very horrible sense of smell. For other animals, it's the opposite. Like for dogs. They go by sense of smell. Mice and rats go by sense of touch.

So you can't use the same means to test the intelligence of different animals.
    I'm not buying it. Different senses, fine...okay, so we don't get the same test of intelligence...but of all the other species none have invented any real technology...I mean other than rudimentary nest-building and stuff....but, no real tools, no written language. I think if human brains were in dolphin bodies we'd have come up with some cool underwater air lounges by now.

Humans can be the real dumb ones at times. For example, there used to be a cartoon that I watched as child in the late 1980's called Visionaries. It took place in a post-apocalyptic future, where all technology suddenly disappeared and humans had to rediscover magic, wizadry, sorcery, witchcraft, or whatever you want to call it.

It had me thinking about what would really happen to us if we were stripped of all technology... AND, it was made so that the people who did invent these things never existed. Would we be able to reinvent those things quickly and move on with our lives? I doubt it. We're just a bunch of dumb asses who know how to use the things that people way smarter than us invented.
    No...we would start re-inventing things. Okay, maybe Joe Blow on the street isn't going to invent a computer, but he's going to come up with some basic tools, build a shelter, build weapons for hunting, etc.

Or, here's another example... why are we the only species that has to pay for food? There are children starving to death in third world countries and, in those same countries, large animals that eat 50 lbs of food per day are doing just fine? Some of those animals may be endangered species, but they're not dying of starvation.
    That's a good one...funny, I was just thinking about this the other day watching Nat Geo. Of course, they haven't even developed a basic barter system economy, either.

I think we give ourselves too much credit.
    I don't think so...we are like a million times smarter than all the other animals. All of them combined have contributed basically zero...and they've had us to show them its possible. Yeah, they can smell better and have other "abilities" but none have invented any real technology. You'd think chimps in the wild would've at least figured out how to make a controlled campfire or something....made a lever...a wheel? I'm not saying they should have internet, but some basic manufactured technology maybe?

Why haven't raccoons invented something...those are crafty little F-ers with opposable thumbs?
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 10-20-2015 at 01:28 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    So, not really an "evolution" question or a religion question...

...but, it seems people like to say certain animals are really smart, or almost as smart as humans...chimps, dolphins, dogs, etc.

No doubt some of them can be smart "for an animal"....but why after 1000s of years of watching us has no other species done so much as invent a wheel, or manufacturing processes, or even written language for themselves? How far ahead in technology would man be by now if we had a more advanced species to watch all this time?

You would think by now there would've been some genius chimpanzees that could invent stuff (modeling ours at least) and make life better in the chimp world...
    They don't need technology because it is irrelevant to them.

What led to the big boom in human technology was agriculture. That led to humans living in larger groups and a surplus of people.

Once we started living in larger groups with significant portions of the population not being needed to gather food, that is what allowed humans to build technology.

Early tech was dedicated to defense or food production.

What other group of animals have found themselves in a similar scenario?

I think that ants and bees might posses way more intelligence than we give them credit for. They engage in intricate forms of agriculture and are able to pass on knowledge from one generation to the next.

Their pheromonal form of communication is so complex that we are only beginning to understand it.

However, these insects have never been in a position where they have needed true technology. Plus their body size and construction prevents them from mastering fire and building furnaces to forge steel.

A lot of conditions have to line up for a species to develop technology.

Like Rusty, I think we give ourselves too much credit.

We certainly give imaginary gods way too much credit, which is the dumbest aspect of humanity, by far.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 10-20-2015 at 03:37 PM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    They don't need technology because it is irrelevant to them.

What led to the big boom in human technology was agriculture.
    So....why haven't apes learned to farm?

That led to humans living in larger groups and a surplus of people.

Once we started living in larger groups with significant portions of the population not being needed to gather food, that is what allowed humans to build technology.

Early tech was dedicated to defense or food production.

What other group of animals have found themselves in a similar scenario?
    I think most animals have a need to defend themselves...and then could benefit from either farming or better hunting tools.

I think that ants and bees might posses way more intelligence than we give them credit for. They engage in intricate forms of agriculture and are able to pass on knowledge from one generation to the next.

Their pheromonal form of communication is so complex that we are only beginning to understand it.

However, these insects have never been in a position where they have needed true technology. Plus their size body construction prevents them from mastering fire and building furnaces to forge steel.

A lot of conditions have to line up for a species to develop technology.

Like Rusty, I think we give ourselves too much credit.

We certainly give imaginary gods way too much credit, which is the dumbest aspect of humanity, by far.
    There is that, too.
    The Voice of Reason

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I largely answered this in my post when I said that the conditions need to line up for a species to start farming and radically change their social dynamics to allow for the development of more complex forms of technology.

I think most animals have a need to defend themselves...and then could benefit from either farming or better hunting tools.
    Again, more than a simple need must exist for a species to develop technology. Other conditions must also be present.

I'm sure you can come up with a list of an animal would need to harness and control fire. From there, you'll need a another list of what physical attributes they'd need to forge metals.

There is that, too.
    Religion was part of human development and it aided us in earlier times, but it is something that needs to be discarded or at least diminished in its role in our social interactions.

I have hope because that is happening. The last major religion that is being disruptive to human development is Islam.

It needs to be marginalized like Chirstainity was for human progress to continue.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Believe it or not, humans and apes don't have the same physical capabilities.

An adult male chimpanzee is about six times stronger than the average adult male human. That's how they're able to swing on tree branches with ease, despite having a body weight similar to human. Silverback gorillas believed to be able to lift 4,500 lbs. That's about the weight of a full dumpster.

Many people have speculated on why the strength disparity between humans and chimps exist - for example, that chimp muscles are more dense, or that they connect to the bones in places that allow for greater leverage than in humans... however, the explanation that they seem to go with the most is there being less gray matter in their spines. In other words, that strength comes at the expense of being able to adjust and control that strength, and perform tasks that require gentleness and precision. In other words, a chimpanzee cannot thread a needle or successfully swing a baseball bat and hit a ball.

These types of physical abilities are probably required in order for apes to develop technology.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Because, not all primates were the same. The rhesus monkey's are the ones that were chosen to be taught to farm by the annunaki and later became the Summerians.

If you have RH positive blood type (85%+ of us), then you are descended from these guys.

http://www.livescience.com/1411-monk...-ancestor.html

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Believe it or not, humans and apes don't have the same physical capabilities.
    Yes, I'm aware of that.

An adult male chimpanzee is about six times stronger than the average adult male human. That's how they're able to swing on tree branches with ease, despite having a body weight similar to human. Silverback gorillas believed to be able to lift 4,500 lbs. That's about the weight of a full dumpster.

Many people have speculated on why the strength disparity between humans and chimps exist - for example, that chimp muscles are more dense, or that they connect to the bones in places that allow for greater leverage than in humans... however, the explanation that they seem to go with the most is there being less gray matter in their spines. In other words, that strength comes at the expense of being able to adjust and control that strength, and perform tasks that require gentleness and precision. In other words, a chimpanzee cannot thread a needle or successfully swing a baseball bat and hit a ball.

These types of physical abilities are probably required in order for apes to develop technology.
    ...but, they haven't developed even the simplest thing...build a fire to keep warm, make an arrowhead to hunt or fight enemies....thousands of years of seeing us do it and maybe even been slaughtered by us with weapons and not so much as an attempt from them to improve their odds.

Seems strange to me considering how long we've been doing it, that's all.
    The Voice of Reason