Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why are animals so dumb?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    This has proven to be a very entertaining thread.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollyn01 View Post
    Why haven't other animals develop any technology? Necessity, or rather, the lack thereof. They have evolved to fit their environment. With a few exceptions, humans are the only species that alter their environment to fit them. While this has arrested the process of natural selection, it is also the reason that we have develop greater and greater technology. As our environment changes, we develop more technology to keep the process arrested. This only gives rise to more problems and alterations to the environment. As such, we develop more tech to combat it. The cycle feeds itself.

Since most animals do not alter their environment due to being fully subject to it, they will never develop anything that resembles even the simplest of human technology. This however does not preclude their ability to do so. There are many animals that do things that would be considered human-type activity. The leaf-cutter ants eat a fungus that grows deep in the ground need the roots of the tree that they live by. They cull the tree for its leaves to feed the fungus that they eat. There are ants that drink the excretions of aphids and treat them like we treat cattle. They actually "drive" the aphids up a tree so they can feed and "drive" them back underground to protect them from being poached by predators. Even after the aphids become butterflies, the ants will still welcome and protect them even though they are unable to use them for their excretions (most likely to ensure the propagation of the species). There are primates in the wild that actually take branches, strip them into a thin stick and actually fish for ants and grubs.

With that said, why would they need fire? They're already in an environment that allows them to live without the need of it and have adapted to it with the fur that they have. They say that necessity is the mother of invention. If you don't need it, it won't be invented. As for all the other inventions that are derived from previous inventions... monkey see, monkey do to get the same thing or have more.
    I think many animals face extinction or are endangered...they have a need for tech, the just do not have the ability or desire. There also seems to be very little curiosity...discovery for discovery's sake

That bit about the ants and aphids is interesting though...
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Ant Monsters Take Over the Earth!

ant monster.jpg

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    What now? Are you going to break out singing "Under the Sea" from the Litte Mermaid to prove your point?
    Not sure I have any grand point, really...more of a question. What point do you think I have that you are trying to disprove?

I thought it would be self-evident that no other animal develops anything resembling technology, really. So, just been pondering on that...and maybe the why of it. Is it just intelligence?

I must admit I expected different sort of responses to the question...not the "they can, they just choose not to cuz they don't need it" or "they don't have the dexterity" replies I've gotten.

We can get rid of nationalism with globalization.
    There will be something else, human nature...do we have to go through the whole list so you can dismiss them one at a time?

Of course we will need to round up all the Rainmakers and drop them into the ocean.
    Come, follow Absinthe and he will show us the way...
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 10-20-2015 at 05:17 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I think if human brains were in dolphin bodies...we'd still have built some shit.
    With what? A pair of fins? What, exactly, do you think you can build with a pair of fins?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    With what? A pair of fins? What, exactly, do you think you can build with a pair of fins?
    I dunno...adapt and overcome...Hold stuff in your mouth...exactly why they need technology to make up for their lack of hands.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I dunno...adapt and overcome...Hold stuff in your mouth...exactly why they need technology to make up for their lack of hands.
    After saying this, are you really sure that a dolphin with a human brain could "build some shit?" As a human, do you think you could get by with only using your mouth to do things? Do you think you could make it through one day using your teeth to turn door knobs, load laundry into washer, change the oil in your car, or other things?

Here's one possible limitation: I don't know the required amount of force to knock someone's teeth out, but it can't be that much considering that people lose their teeth all the time in street fights or mishaps on the job, etc, etc. Whatever that amount of force is, an object of the same weight as that force would pull your teeth out if you tried to lift it with your mouth.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    After saying this, are you really sure that a dolphin with a human brain could "build some shit?"
    Yes.

As a human, do you think you could get by with only using your mouth to do things? Do you think you could make it through one day using your teeth to turn door knobs, load laundry into washer, change the oil in your car, or other things?
    As an individual dropped into a world built for people with hands, that would be difficult.

But, what I'm saying is...if the human species had no hands, we would've built technology that worked for our mouths.

Here's one possible limitation: I don't know the required amount of force to knock someone's teeth out, but it can't be that much considering that people lose their teeth all the time in street fights or mishaps on the job, etc, etc. Whatever that amount of force is, an object of the same weight as that force would pull your teeth out if you tried to lift it with your mouth.
    OK. So? If that's what we had to work with that's what we would've worked with...but, we build a lot of things we're not capable of lifting.

Is your point really that the only thing holding dolphins back is their fins? If only they had hands they would've built underwater cities and high speed transport, and communication, etc? Or a wheel...or some kind of fish catching trap?
    The Voice of Reason

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    What type of materials do you see them working with?

Any type of production process that involves heat is out. They might be able to come up with some type of fasteners, but I doubt it.

I'm not very impressed with this conversation.

Maybe I could get into it if I were having it with a hot tub full of Hooters waitresses, but this isn't working for me.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...