Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Asking questions of those using mobility scooters??

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Asking questions of those using mobility scooters??

Back on labor day last month, while on my security guard job at a Jo-Ann fabrics, i was asked by a female customer about our 'mobility scooter' that the store provides as a courtesy to customers. I informed her someone else had it, and had been in it for around 30 min so far if memory served me correctly.
    She waited for around 20 min, then asked if i would inquire from the current user how much longer she would be.
    I did just that, and reported back to the lady who asked me to inquire, that the current user cause they were having a lot of shopping to do, would just hold off and come back later.
    This evening at work, the store manager showed me an Email from corporate, where that lady who gave UP the cart after my 'irritant questioning and hassling of her' had ranted to corporate and after getting no joy, supposedly took it to social media to rant about her 'abusive' treatment and feeling of being profiled (Cause though she only looked fat and not disabled, she supposedly is)..

No reprimands came my way, but the manager did inform me in future if something like that comes up, to refer it to one of the MODs (managers on duty), to handle it, rather than helping a customer directly. One of the 2 night MODs, also had to get ont he phone to chat to the lady in question (and her friend who was with her the night of the incident) to 'smooth things over'..
    During that chat, the MOD mentioned the lady was inquiring about whether the store would be providing her with some sort of VIP coupon to 'compensate her for her suffering', which triggered the MODs' radar that something was hanky with the whole situation.

Now the lady who was 'supposedly offended by my act' has been in the store at least twice since that day, and has on both occasions spoken to me cordially. So if she was so offended, why didn't she bring it up to ME or the MOD? Was her attempt to take it to social media, an attempt to 'fleece' us?

Now in some of the convo's i have had with that lady since (on one of those 2 aforementioned days) as well as with a few other scooter users, it has been brought up that when someone IS physically disabled, they not only get a placard for their car, but in some states supposedly get a 'disability card'.. So should those scooters be held BY staff in stores and only issued to those who HAVE those cards (so the truly needy get them)??
    Should stores HAVE them?
    If someone is disabled enough to need one, shouldn't they have one of their own?

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I think it was your fault, and that you need to keep the hell off the sales floor from now on.

Go guard the trash cans in the alley and stop bothering the customers.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Back on labor day last month, while on my security guard job at a Jo-Ann fabrics, i was asked by a female customer about our 'mobility scooter' that the store provides as a courtesy to customers. I informed her someone else had it, and had been in it for around 30 min so far if memory served me correctly.
    She waited for around 20 min, then asked if i would inquire from the current user how much longer she would be.
    This woman sat and waited for 20 mins for the scooter? Yeah, if she needed it that bad, she should have her own.

I did just that, and reported back to the lady who asked me to inquire,
    Here's where you went wrong, IMO. You should have told the waiting lady that scooters are not guaranteed, they are a courtesy only and available on a strict first come, first serve basis...and it would be inappropriate to ask another customer to hurry along.

that the current user cause they were having a lot of shopping to do, would just hold off and come back later.
    This evening at work, the store manager showed me an Email from corporate, where that lady who gave UP the cart after my 'irritant questioning and hassling of her' had ranted to corporate and after getting no joy, supposedly took it to social media to rant about her 'abusive' treatment and feeling of being profiled (Cause though she only looked fat and not disabled, she supposedly is)..

No reprimands came my way, but the manager did inform me in future if something like that comes up, to refer it to one of the MODs (managers on duty), to handle it, rather than helping a customer directly. One of the 2 night MODs, also had to get ont he phone to chat to the lady in question (and her friend who was with her the night of the incident) to 'smooth things over'..
    During that chat, the MOD mentioned the lady was inquiring about whether the store would be providing her with some sort of VIP coupon to 'compensate her for her suffering', which triggered the MODs' radar that something was hanky with the whole situation.

Now the lady who was 'supposedly offended by my act' has been in the store at least twice since that day, and has on both occasions spoken to me cordially.
    So, she's a regular customer, that's the best kind...Did you apologize for the misunderstanding and get her a Jo-Ann's VIP coupon? You should have.

So if she was so offended, why didn't she bring it up to ME or the MOD? Was her attempt to take it to social media, an attempt to 'fleece' us?

Now in some of the convo's i have had with that lady since (on one of those 2 aforementioned days) as well as with a few other scooter users, it has been brought up that when someone IS physically disabled, they not only get a placard for their car, but in some states supposedly get a 'disability card'.. So should those scooters be held BY staff in stores and only issued to those who HAVE those cards (so the truly needy get them)??
    Should stores HAVE them?
    If someone is disabled enough to need one, shouldn't they have one of their own?
    I think it's a nice thing for stores to have them...but controlling them strictly for disabled card holders would make it more hassle than it's worth...and is unnecessary micromanagement.

Courtesy scooters...first come, first serve...leave it at that.

Tell the waiting customer it's up to her...she can either wait or go to Waffle House for an hour and come back later, but you won't be asking another customer to hurry it up...she got it first and is entitled to use it until she is done.
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 10-13-2015 at 02:48 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    There are some people that have been injured recently, and they need to use the mobility cart, but they can't get the disability license or the card, because they are going to improve in a short time.

Also, many people don't even think about the possibility of getting a disability card, probably because they don't see themselves as being all that disabled.

My brother is, um,rather large. He has gout, permanently. The one time that he, at my urging, used a mobility cart, he was so embarrassed in using it, that he has never again used it, although he spends 2 hours in the market, for what should be a 20 minute visit.

Out here in the midwest, there are a lot of poor older people that can't seem to think that they can get their own mobility scooters, even though the gov't would be paying for them. I see a lot of elderly people doing about 1/10 of a mile per hour, trying to walk unaided, even by a cane or a walker.

I guess that they think that they are independant type people, who don't need help. And I guess that they truly are independant people. Just really slow independant people.

What gets to me is the fact that a few of these are really slow, in their reaction times. Reaching for a bottle of Geritol takes about 30 seconds. They are very slow in their walking, and in their responses to someone talking to them. Then they check out, after dumping their money on the counter, because they can't count out the correct amount for the cashier.

Then they finally get to their vehicle, spend some time trying to figure out where to put that bottle of Geritol, then they sloooowly get into the vehicle.

Then they drive off. They usually go off at about 10 mph, cutting corners, using the center of the road going around blind turns, and stopping at every intersection, even though there are no stop signs. And there they sit, until someone finally honks their horn at them. At least 3 times.

There is the problem. If an elderly person can't drive their car correctly, do you think that they could pilot a mobility cart, without placing their fellow shoppers at risk?

I stay up at night, worrying about this.

Almost forgot. I use my John Deere Lawn Tractor as my mobility scooter. I don't see why the manager at Walmart is always mad at me for using it inside his store. Some people just don't understand how the BED (binge eating disorder) affects so many of us, causing us to be morbidly obese.

Well, all right. 200 pounds at 6' is not morbidly obese. I stuff pillows under my shirt, so that I can putt about in Walmart, using my JD.

Yeah. Like none of you have ever done this?
    Last edited by UncaRastus; 10-13-2015 at 02:55 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Security guards, need I say more?

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    This woman sat and waited for 20 mins for the scooter? Yeah, if she needed it that bad, she should have her own.
    That was the though of both me and the MOD who got the 'nasty email' from corporate. But she also said the same of the gal ON the scooter as there has been many an instance where she came in say at 6.50 and stayed on it till close (9pm).. so is known by management as being a hog of it.

Here's where you went wrong, IMO. You should have told the waiting lady that scooters are not guaranteed, they are a courtesy only and available on a strict first come, first serve basis...and it would be inappropriate to ask another customer to hurry along.
    Perhaps.. Or as management advised me, just refer any questions in future to them.

So, she's a regular customer, that's the best kind...Did you apologize for the misunderstanding and get her a Jo-Ann's VIP coupon? You should have.
    I am contracted security, not a store employee. So any coupons or such would have to come FROM the store (and the manager felt that how she was pushing THAT issue, it seems that's the only reason she seemed to have griped like she did). Much like some people seem to delight in going places, and willfully try to find things to bitch and moan about so they can complain to "Higher up" just so they can get gift cards/discounts etc as compensation for their "Bad time".

I think it's a nice thing for stores to have them...but controlling them strictly for disabled card holders would make it more hassle than it's worth...and is unnecessary micromanagement.
    It might be a hassle, but it would make it easier for those needing them to actually get them. I can't count the # of times i have been in stores and seen someone walk in from the parking lot, plop down on one, and use it, while someone who just pulled up to the handicap spot, struggles to get into the store, can't as they are in use..

Tell the waiting customer it's up to her...she can either wait or go to Waffle House for an hour and come back later, but you won't be asking another customer to hurry it up...she got it first and is entitled to use it until she is done.
    That was one of the suggestions given by higher ups..

Someone also said 'put in a bench or a few chairs' up front for those sorts of people to sit down on while they wait..

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Security guards, need I say more?

So IYO, store security guards are just dumb??

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    @garhkal

As a former Security Policeman (Security Guard) I have no trouble answering yes to that question.

Most guards as dumb as a box of hammers.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    I usually see the younger (under 60) types riding around in them.....If you're truly disabled that's one thing. But, I think it's time to start publicly "Fat Shaming" these lazy, 300lb behemoths motoring around in these scooters. They've become a real menace to society. One of them almost backed over my 3 year old niece at Disney last week.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Doesn't Disney World have their scooters equipped with those backup horns that automatically sound off when the scooters are being reversed?

I would sue the Disney Corp. for the mental pain and anguish of almost seeing your niece being run over by one of those heartless scooters.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That was the though of both me and the MOD who got the 'nasty email' from corporate. But she also said the same of the gal ON the scooter as there has been many an instance where she came in say at 6.50 and stayed on it till close (9pm).. so is known by management as being a hog of it.
    Again...what I read here is "Regular customer"

Perhaps.. Or as management advised me, just refer any questions in future to them.
    Well, sure...but as a grown man, don't you find it just a little embarrassing that they don't think you can handle yourself in these situations?

I am contracted security, not a store employee. So any coupons or such would have to come FROM the store (and the manager felt that how she was pushing THAT issue, it seems that's the only reason she seemed to have griped like she did). Much like some people seem to delight in going places, and willfully try to find things to bitch and moan about so they can complain to "Higher up" just so they can get gift cards/discounts etc as compensation for their "Bad time".
    I'm sure she is reaching for a free knitting needle or something....so what? She's the customer. Customers are not always right, but you were a little out of line there...a little bit. She's not only a customer, but a regular customer that shops at Jo-Ann's for hours...so, she gets more than a benefit of the doubt...give her a bone, it'll be a small token and a worthwhile investment in her good feelings, even if you both know she is getting one over on you. There is Michael's too, you know.

It might be a hassle, but it would make it easier for those needing them to actually get them. I can't count the # of times i have been in stores and seen someone walk in from the parking lot, plop down on one, and use it, while someone who just pulled up to the handicap spot, struggles to get into the store, can't as they are in use..
    Yeah, again...I see it as a simple courtesy, when available. If someone is truly dependent on the scooter, they should have their own. First come, first serve, they can hog it all they want.

That was one of the suggestions given by higher ups..

Someone also said 'put in a bench or a few chairs' up front for those sorts of people to sit down on while they wait..
    Wonderful idea...maybe some coffee and a some craft magazines while they wait...maybe a sales associate can come ask what they're looking for and upsell them in the meantime

Who knew Jo-Ann's had so much drama? I thought people go there, go in go out to get something specific, not spend all day there, but what do I know?
    The Voice of Reason