Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Asking questions of those using mobility scooters??

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Does anyone know if Joann's Fabrics takes SNAP?

There once was a time when people would be ashamed to participate in such sloth. Then the Commie traitors turned the concept of Protestant Work Ethic into the concept of White Privilege.
    "Protestant Work Ethic?" Yep, still up to the same ol' shit. With the exception of the government employees and the self-employed, we all work for peanuts to make rich people richer. We can call people who don't whatever we want and brag about our situation, but the joke is on us.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    With the exception of the government employees
    Maybe Rainmaker missed something..... When did government employees start working?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Maybe Rainmaker missed something..... When did government employees start working?
    At least you don't deny what I'm saying...
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    At least you don't deny what I'm saying...
    Yes, Rainmaker agrees with you..... we have shipped our labor abroad in search of profit and now we have no economic base for growth, which is why we have so much government (to service the welfare state).

And you can't deny that all the great inventive societies are in temperate zones with multiple seasons.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-16-2015 at 07:57 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    If stores are not legally required to provide mobility scooters then, whether or not a store should provide them, is up to store management.

As far as asking to see someone's handicapped card in order to use the scooter... that could put you in violation of HIPAA. When I drove taxis, I was allowed to ask customers bringing a dog if it was a working dog; but I wasn't allowed to ask what their medical condition was or to show proof that it was a working dog as a condition of providing service to that customer. It looks like asking for that card in order to let someone use a mobility scooter would be the same thing.

Parking spaces are different, because they're enforced by law enforcement and not the store.
    So you could ask if it's a working dog/service dog(animal), but not for actual proof it IS One? That is imo Stupid as anyone can lie and say their animal is a 'service animal'..

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    So you could ask if it's a working dog/service dog(animal), but not for actual proof it IS One? That is imo Stupid as anyone can lie and say their animal is a 'service animal'..
    Yes, it is unfortunate that some people will lie about their "service animal." Legit service animals are awesome and it's a shame that people bring a bad name upon the good ones by abusing the restrictions in the rules.

From the ADA guidelines:

[quote]
    When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions:
    (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and
    (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform.
    Staff cannot ask about the person
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 10-16-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Not sure why my previous post gets cut off...even edited it and it cuts off the same:

When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited
    inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a
    service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or
    task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the
    person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special
    identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that
    the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Not sure why my previous post gets cut off...even edited it and it cuts off the same:
    Seems you've exceeded the 5000 words per post limit, that they had to impose (after you referenced the entire encyclopedia Britannica in full text in one thread).
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-16-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    That's the way the cookie crumbles in the big city, Mannix.

When you are patrolling the mean aisles of Jo Ann's Fabrics you've got to keep on your toes for disability scammers.

I'm sure you've seen it all, thread snatchers, bobbin droppers, thimble flippers. It's enough to make a streetwise guard's blood run cold.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Yes, it is unfortunate that some people will lie about their "service animal." Legit service animals are awesome and it's a shame that people bring a bad name upon the good ones by abusing the restrictions in the rules.
    Strange my reply also got cropped.
    I find it stupid that since service animals SHOULD be certified, that you can't ask for proof OF that certification..