Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Asking questions of those using mobility scooters??

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Bos. Exactly how was i out of line asking a customer how much longer she might be using the device?
    It's just inappropriate. She was shopping, she had the cart, let her be. If another customer asked her, that's between them...but as a quasi-employee of the store you shouldn't be hassling customers for them to hurry up. Whether or not you actually said "hurry up" doesn't matter...when you go up to someone and say, "Hey, how much longer are you gonna use that?"...while "only a question" by the letter of it, it certainly carries with it the implication that you are asking them to hurry up with it.

"how much longer are you gonna be in the bathroom?"

"are you gonna finish that?"

"how many times do I have to ask?"
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    It's just inappropriate. She was shopping, she had the cart, let her be. If another customer asked her, that's between them...but as a quasi-employee of the store you shouldn't be hassling customers for them to hurry up. Whether or not you actually said "hurry up" doesn't matter...when you go up to someone and say, "Hey, how much longer are you gonna use that?"...while "only a question" by the letter of it, it certainly carries with it the implication that you are asking them to hurry up with it.

"how much longer are you gonna be in the bathroom?"

"are you gonna finish that?"

"how many times do I have to ask?"
    I agree with what you said and I'd add that as a security guard, presumably wearing a uniform, he would come across as an authority figure. A uniformed security guard asking a person if they're about finished using the scooter could be perceived as intimidating them to hurry up. This was something that should have been left up to the store staff.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Now in some of the convo's i have had with that lady since (on one of those 2 aforementioned days) as well as with a few other scooter users, it has been brought up that when someone IS physically disabled, they not only get a placard for their car, but in some states supposedly get a 'disability card'.. So should those scooters be held BY staff in stores and only issued to those who HAVE those cards (so the truly needy get them)??
    Should stores HAVE them?
    If someone is disabled enough to need one, shouldn't they have one of their own?
    If stores are not legally required to provide mobility scooters then, whether or not a store should provide them, is up to store management.

As far as asking to see someone's handicapped card in order to use the scooter... that could put you in violation of HIPAA. When I drove taxis, I was allowed to ask customers bringing a dog if it was a working dog; but I wasn't allowed to ask what their medical condition was or to show proof that it was a working dog as a condition of providing service to that customer. It looks like asking for that card in order to let someone use a mobility scooter would be the same thing.

Parking spaces are different, because they're enforced by law enforcement and not the store.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    @garhkal The bottom line is this.... By Politely asking this Inconsiderate, Disability scamming, Fat tub of Lard, how much longer she was going to be trolling around in the store's "scooter", you have unknowingly committed a "Micro-Aggression".

This is common for those suffering with your condition (White privilege)

You must immediately report to the nearest chemical castration center for your treatment.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-16-2015 at 02:04 PM.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    @garhkal The bottom line is this.... By Politely asking this Inconsiderate, Disability scamming, Fat tub of Lard, how much longer she was going to be trolling around in the store's "scooter", you have unknowingly committed a "Micro-Aggression".

This is common for those suffering with your condition (White privilege)

You must immediately report to the nearest chemical castration center for your treatment.
    It is funny that you are accusing others of being hyper-sensitive and paranoid about being discriminated against, while being hyper-sensitive and paranoid about it too.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Rainmaker, I have run out of the 'chemical agent', and I have also run out of the castrating bands. Doing that old school, with a knife and a bit of raw alcohol* is the last step, other than letting a badger doing the work.

You know that I already have patients complaining. It seems that the line, "Shut your head! You are such a baby," is no longer politically correct.

I can only do what I can do.

And it would help if you sent on the government money for me doing this. I don't want to use my stock of moonshine for this surgical procedure.

So, please. Put Garhkal on the bottom of the list. He is one of us, you know!

* As taught to me by my father. A mean dog, a knife doing the work, and a slap of raw alcohol. Worked wonders in dog training!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Absinthe Anecdote,

Put Rainmaker on the list for a prefrontal lobotomy.

I just got a new surgical kit, which has in it the ever popular ice pick. So, this should turn out nicely.

Rainmaker! Why don't you come on over? We'll sit around and talk about conspiracies! And don't mind the straps on the recliner. They are there for when there are earthquakes.

My house is the one with the sign 'Castrations and Prefrontal Lobotomies Clinic' in front of it.

See you soon!
    Last edited by UncaRastus; 10-16-2015 at 02:37 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    a bit of raw alcohol*!
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    Prefrontal Lobotomies Clinic' !
    "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"~Fred Allen
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    It is funny that you are accusing others of being hyper-sensitive and paranoid about being discriminated against, while being hyper-sensitive and paranoid about it too.
    You guys are right. garhkal shouldn't bother trying to help anyone out anymore or do anything whatsoever that's not in his job description.

In-fact, He should just take your advice and quit his job and hop on the disability train himself.....Hell, Why bother working in the mall all day, when you can just hover around the Duncan Doughnuts in your "free mobility scooter" instead?

Does anyone know if Joann's Fabrics takes SNAP?

There once was a time when people would be ashamed to participate in such sloth. Then the Commie traitors turned the concept of Protestant Work Ethic into the concept of White Privilege.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 10-16-2015 at 04:29 PM.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    You guys are right. garhkal shouldn't bother trying to help anyone out anymore or do anything whatsoever that's not in his job description.
    He shouldn't bother fat person 1 in order to help fat person 2.

He sure as hell shouldn't get involved in trying to change store policy or customer service issues as a contracted security guard.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...