Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Boehner to resign at end of October

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Boehner to resign at end of October

House Speaker John Boehner told lawmakers Friday that he plans to resign at the end of October, in a stunning development that comes amid mounting friction with the conservative wing of the party.
    He plans to step down as speaker, and resign from Congress.
    The 13-term Ohio Republican shocked his GOP caucus early Friday morning when he informed them of his decision in a closed-door session. One lawmaker told Fox News he was "stunned," and that there was "some anger" in the room "against the people who caused this to happen."
    The announcement came one day after the high point of Boehner's congressional career, a historic speech by Pope Francis to Congress at Boehner's request. To the backdrop of that day's pageantry, though, Boehner was facing an internal battle in the House GOP caucus over Planned Parenthood funding and threats by some in the conservative wing to challenge his speakership.
    Rep. John Mica, R-Fla., said Boehner "just does not want to become the issue. Some people have tried to make him the issue both in Congress and outside."
    Conservatives have demanded that any legislation to keep the government operating past Wednesday's midnight deadline strip Planned Parenthood of his funds, a move rejected by more moderate lawmakers.
    Boehner took over the speakership in January 2011. The decision to step down was closely held; Fox News is told House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, R-Calif., was only informed of Boehner's decision "one minute" before Boehner told the GOP conference.
    McCarthy said in a statement Friday: "He will be missed because there is simply no one else like him. Now is the time for our conference to focus on healing and unifying to face the challenges ahead and always do what is best for the American people."
    A Boehner aide noted the speaker's original plan was to serve "only through the end of last year," yet former House GOP leader Eric Cantor's primary loss last year "changed that calculation." But the aide seemed to make clear reference to the internal turmoil.
    "Speaker Boehner believes that the first job of any Speaker is to protect this institution and, as we saw yesterday with the Holy Father, it is the one thing that unites and inspires us all," the aide said. "... The Speaker believes putting members through prolonged leadership turmoil would do irreparable damage to the institution."
    The aide added: "He is proud of what this majority has accomplished, and his Speakership, but for the good of the Republican Conference and the institution, he will resign the Speakership and his seat in Congress, effective October 30."
    The House will need to hold an election to select a new speaker. The last speaker to resign in the middle of a Congress was Jim Wright, D-Texas, amid an ethics scandal in 1989.
    Boehner's decision removes the possibility of a damaging vote to strip him of his speakership, a scenario that grew more likely amid the conservative clamor over a shutdown.
    While the news Friday roiled Boehner allies, some conservatives welcomed his announcement.
    Rep. Tim Huelskamp of Kansas said "it's time for new leadership," and Rep. Tom Massie of Kentucky said the speaker "subverted our Republic."
    But more mainstream Republicans said it would be a pyrrhic victory for Tea Party-aligned lawmakers.
    "The honor of John Boehner this morning stands in stark contrast to the idiocy of those members who seek to continually divide us," said Rep. David Jolly of Florida.
    I guess he's had enough....
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Good Riddance.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    He just decided not to follow the lemmings over the cliff.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    About bloody time. Now if we could only get Mitch Mcconnell, to do the same.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    There are no lemmings to follow. He has faced increasing opposition from within his own party. Much of which I think is unwarranted. He is resigning most likely to avoid the strife an internal fight for leadership would entail.

I think the GOP is their own worst enemy at this point. It reminds me of the election of 1992 when SNL was putting on skits about Dems drawing straws, the loser of which had to run against Bush Sr in light of the first Gulf War and then Clinton ends up winning.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Rainmaker.. How can you 'thank' a post but also dislike it??

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    There are no lemmings to follow. He has faced increasing opposition from within his own party. Much of which I think is unwarranted. He is resigning most likely to avoid the strife an internal fight for leadership would entail.

I think the GOP is their own worst enemy at this point. It reminds me of the election of 1992 when SNL was putting on skits about Dems drawing straws, the loser of which had to run against Bush Sr in light of the first Gulf War and then Clinton ends up winning.
    I sometimes wonder how long the GOP will allow the Tea Party to consider themselves Republicans....there is a real division there
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I sometimes wonder how long the GOP will allow the Tea Party to consider themselves Republicans....there is a real division there
    The Tea Party is far from a formal organization. They lack a central structure or even a fully codified agreement amongst themselves on policy or platform.

In many ways those who identify as part of the 'Tea Party' are to the Republicans what the MoveOn.org folks are to the Democrats: a non-silent minority. They are very vocal, relatively small in number of the overall organization and garner a lot of attention disproportionate to their overall presence. What both have been very effective at doing is influencing the majority of their party based on their ability to influence the narrative through 'volume' vice 'relevance.'

Generally on both right and left, Republican and Democratic sides of the aisle the primaries are a play to the more polarized sections of the party and the general election is more a play to the center.

BT BT

As far as Speaker Boehner resigning, it could be interpreted many ways. Like it or not, the man wasa member of Congress for 25 years & Speaker of the House for five ... nothing to shake a stick at. I imagine at some point it gets tiring and the desire to put ones' family & / or self ahead of the job becomes a factor.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 09-27-2015 at 05:15 AM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Rainmaker.. How can you 'thank' a post but also dislike it??
    Rainmaker was trying to "like" garhkal's post. But, a case of "old eyes" and a half a bottle of blue sapphire gin got in his way. Nomsayin?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Absolutely agree with what the Tea Party has evolved into. As with most issues, they have some valid points but their unwillingness to entertain any other viewpoints or compromises has turned them into what I see as a destructive and exclusionary faction.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself