Thread: Veterans' Affairs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Veterans' Affairs

A note I got from the VA:

A Historic Success for Veterans Service

This week, we reduced the disability claims backlog to 98,535 claims - an 84% reduction from its peak and a historic low. This reduction means that Veterans' disability claim decisions are being delivered more accurately and efficiently. The faster Veterans receive completed claim decisions, the quicker they can access the benefits they are entitled to.
    As we mark this important milestone in VA's history, we commit to continuing our efforts to improve. We will never waiver in our dedication to providing the best possible service to Veterans, Servicemembers, their families, and Survivors.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Now if they can get to work on the backlog in treatment then i will be impressed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Now if they can get to work on the backlog in treatment then i will be impressed.
    Even this, if true, is impressive...and a good step in the right direction.

Of course, there is more to it than just timeliness...as in making the right determinations...the cynic in me says that they are tending to err on the side of approval because then they don't get resubmits and/or complaints...

It's hard to even say, "I hope that's not happening'...because it doesn't bother me too much if disabled vets get more than they might otherwise...
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 08-27-2015 at 04:24 AM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post

Of course, there is more to it than just timeliness...as in making the right determinations...the cynic in me says that they are tending to err on the side of approval because then they don't get resubmits and/or complaints...

It's hard to even say, "I hope that's not happening'...because it doesn't bother me too much if disabled vets get more than they might otherwise...
    I bet I could fix the backlog a lot faster. Get rid of the hiring preference for disabled veterans and eliminate concurrent receipt of benefits for those already receiving retired pay. That would fix the problem in no time flat.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I bet I could fix the backlog a lot faster. Get rid of the hiring preference for disabled veterans and eliminate concurrent receipt of benefits for those already receiving retired pay. That would fix the problem in no time flat.
    Screwing those that you are supposed to be helping is usually an easier course than doing your job.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I bet I could fix the backlog a lot faster. Get rid of the hiring preference for disabled veterans
    The capitalist in me agrees...that any time you give a preference for hiring anything other than the most qualified person, you decrease productivity.

In practice, I don't think the civil service system hires the most qualified anyway...with or without the disabled vet preference. Some people just get lucky, others don't...the civil service hiring system seems pretty dysfunctional to me...I'm not in it, but it seems that way to me.

and eliminate concurrent receipt of benefits for those already receiving retired pay. That would fix the problem in no time flat.
    I think people would still submit for it...so I don't think this would fix the problem. Not to mention, it's just wrong...disability should be separate from retirement pay. I do think, however, that probably a lot of things are compensated that shouldn't be...but take retirement out of the equation.

I think if you limited compensation to things that were actually caused by performing your duty...rather than things that simply happened to you while you happened to be active duty...that would eliminate a lot of claims.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    In practice, I don't think the civil service system hires the most qualified anyway...with or without the disabled vet preference. Some people just get lucky, others don't...the civil service hiring system seems pretty dysfunctional to me...I'm not in it, but it seems that way to me.
    The civil service hiring process TRIES to identify the most qualified, and to let the selection official hire that person.

The thing is, it is a government program, a government process. There have been so many alterations, exceptions, special cases, and defensive mechanisms added in order to prove that the law is being followed, that knowing how to work within the system becomes far more important than being qualified.

Then there's a bit of the military mindset built into the current system, too. Once the system determines who the list of potential hires are, only special interest programs can over-rule the selection official's interpretation of how that groups ranks internally. And they do. Frequently. But, back to the idea I started this paragraph with, once you are on the list of referred people, the paperwork guys think anyone on the list is as good as anyone else on the list. They are all "good enough", and the rest is interpretation. Kind alike how the USAF says a SSgt CST is a SSgt CST, and any one is as good as another for getting the mission done.
    Back from the bit bucket. Somebody flushed the buffers on me, though . . ..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's exactly the opposite from what I have been reading and I know from personal example. They are outright deny claims or even just low balling claims. Which will force you to file an appeal or NOD.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CYBERFX1024 View Post
    It's exactly the opposite from what I have been reading and I know from personal example. They are outright deny claims or even just low balling claims. Which will force you to file an appeal or NOD.
    Doesn't seem like that would help clear the backlog
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Doesn't seem like that would help clear the backlog
    It actually might. From my experience working travel pay it was a lot easier to reject something than to pay it. I knew several people who would seek out reasons to return a voucher. Of course, these were valid travel claims and eventually they were coming back, but the clock starts over again. If you cherry pick the easiest cases and approve those then deny the hard ones your stats start looking great. Some people even get disgruntled and give up. It's not the right thing to do but it happens.