Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Secretary Clinton's Email Server

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Secretary Clinton's Email Server

Hillary Clinton will now turnover her personal email server that was used during her tenure as Secretary of State.

CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/11/politi...ce-department/

The IG report summary statement (http://www.dni.gov/index.php/newsroo...inton-s-emails) makes it sound like at least some of the emails were classified & properly marked as such prior to being sent to the private server, the markings were removed but the text/substance of the emails not edited to remove data and the emails (substance intact) then sent via unclassified systems.

The IC IG found four emails containing classified IC-derived information in a limited sample of 40 emails of the 30,000 emails provided by former Secretary Clinton. The four emails, which have not been released through the State FOIA process, did not contain classification markings and/or dissemination controls. These emails were not retroactively classified by the State Departments; rather these emails contained classified information when they were generated and, according to IC classification officials, that information remains classified today. This classified information should never have been transmitted via an unclassified personal system.
    Now, If a layman receives an email that is not marked as classified on an unclassified system they would/should assume that the email isn't classified. An intel professional or someone who deals with this kind of stuff daily would immediately know that something was amiss. Mrs. Clinton is somewhere between the two (neither a layman but not an intel professional.) I do think she is smart enough to think that some of the data could have been sensitive. As the one who had the server set up for her convenience she clearly should have established better procedures for how classified information would be sent to the Secretary of State (does anyone think that SECSTATE or any cabinet Secretary is going to deal entirely with unclassified information?) Additionally, whoever removed the markings and put the data on an unclassified system violated several regulations (possibly he law.)

Mrs. Clinton is far from stupid, I don't think the establishment of a private server was an attempt to circumvent security regulations or to compromise classified data -- it appears to be an effort to circumvent Federal Records Management Laws, but without the discovery of classified information on that private server I don't think we would have seen this server turned over to the government.

The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I'm thinking that the investigators already know exactly what happened and who made the call to put those documents on her personal system.

Those classifified documents would have been coming from her Intel staff that would know the proper handling procedures.

There had to be some reluctance on the part of her staff to put those documents on her personal system, and I'm thinking that this is how the whole think came under scrutiny.

Someone was ordered to do it, and didn't like being order to do it and went to the IG. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that there were staff personnel that refused to do it, and there was an internal dust up over it.

I'm guessing they had to look for people that were willing to move those documents to an unauthorized system.

Something like that pisses the worker bees off, and they don't stop grumbling about it. I fully expect this to get bigger.

The Secretary of State does a lot of travel and they have secure systems that are mobile, so I don't really see the need to do something like that.

Unless, it was something so petty as she didn't like the secure systems and wanted to view everything on her personal device.

I'm hoping this comes out and it seems that she isn't getting any top cover from Obama.

Is there bad blood between the Obamas and the Clintons?

I'd say yes.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I'm thinking that the investigators already know exactly what happened and who made the call to put those documents on her personal system.

I'm hoping this comes out and it seems that she isn't getting any top cover from Obama.

I'd say yes.
    The Obama Crime Syndicate is taking down the Clinton Crime Syndicate in order clear the way for Uncle Joe's Campaign.CANKLES-JEB 2016!!!
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 08-13-2015 at 01:38 PM.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    The Obama Crime Syndicate is taking down the Clinton Crime Syndicate in order clear the way for Uncle Joe's Campaign.CANKLES-JEB 2016!!!
    I do expect Biden to get into the race between now and December.

I'd love to hear reporters start asking Obama about the Clinton emails again.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I do expect Biden to get into the race between now and December.

I'd love to hear reporters start asking Obama about the Clinton emails again.
    I saw some story in passing that Obama made a comment (with regard to the dem primaries) that he would rather see a spirited campaign. I read that as the first salvo leading to Joe entering the race.

Have you heard any reporter compare the cases of Clinton and Petraeus? I haven't heard that yet. Saw a meme on FB but nothing in the media. Could get interesting.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I saw some story in passing that Obama made a comment (with regard to the dem primaries) that he would rather see a spirited campaign. I read that as the first salvo leading to Joe entering the race.

Have you heard any reporter compare the cases of Clinton and Petraeus? I haven't heard that yet. Saw a meme on FB but nothing in the media. Could get interesting.
    Trump has been saying that Petraeus was ruined for much less than what Hilliary did.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Those classifified documents would have been coming from her Intel staff that would know the proper handling procedures.

There had to be some reluctance on the part of her staff to put those documents on her personal system, and I'm thinking that this is how the whole think came under scrutiny.

Someone was ordered to do it, and didn't like being order to do it and went to the IG. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that there were staff personnel that refused to do it, and there was an internal dust up over it.

I'm guessing they had to look for people that were willing to move those documents to an unauthorized system.

Something like that pisses the worker bees off, and they don't stop grumbling about it. I fully expect this to get bigger.

The Secretary of State does a lot of travel and they have secure systems that are mobile, so I don't really see the need to do something like that.

Unless, it was something so petty as she didn't like the secure systems and wanted to view everything on her personal device.

I'd say yes.
    I'm not a tech genius but this whole thing seems odd to me. First of all a server is simply storage device that a computer or other device accesses. I assume we aren't after Hillary's personal emails sent to non government employees. If that is the case, doesn't the government's server have incoming and outgoing copies of all of these emails already? What exactly would be on Hillary's server that a government server wouldn't also have?

The classified thing is interesting to me. Government employees are well trained on classified markings and handling. In order for classified material to get on her server someone needed to remove the markings or else ignore them. Also, classified networks are generally completely separate from unclassified. Anyone who sent Hillary info would have known they were transferring fro classified to unclassified.

I find all of this really strange. I'm even channeling my inner rainmaker here and agreeing there is a bit of a political conspiracy here. It is all too convenient that information that the Dept. Of Justice already knew about would suddenly be investigated. It's almost like someone at the top said, yep go ahead and take a lok.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Trump has been saying that Petraeus was ruined for much less than what Hilliary did.
    I don't know if I would quantify one offense or the other as worse but they certainly seem very similar (from what we know know) and Petraeus has a felony conviction on his record.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post

I think Hillary is going down
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    I'm not a tech genius but this whole thing seems odd to me. First of all a server is simply storage device that a computer or other device accesses. I assume we aren't after Hillary's personal emails sent to non government employees. If that is the case, doesn't the government's server have incoming and outgoing copies of all of these emails already? What exactly would be on Hillary's server that a government server wouldn't also have?

The classified thing is interesting to me. Government employees are well trained on classified markings and handling. In order for classified material to get on her server someone needed to remove the markings or else ignore them. Also, classified networks are generally completely separate from unclassified. Anyone who sent Hillary info would have known they were transferring fro classified to unclassified.

I find all of this really strange. I'm even channeling my inner rainmaker here and agreeing there is a bit of a political conspiracy here. It is all too convenient that information that the Dept. Of Justice already knew about would suddenly be investigated. It's almost like someone at the top said, yep go ahead and take a lok.
    It had to be intentional, and yes, it had to be transferred to an unclassified system. After the Timothy Manning debacle, using flash drives became much more difficult, but someone supporting the Secretary of State would have the ability to do it.

I'm sure there was an argument and some degree of push back until they found someone who was willing to do it.

I'm guessing there is a pissed off person who was pressured to do that and said no, then took this to the IG after she left State Dept.

You are right, if sent from a government computer there would be outbound records. But they would still need the destination server for a complete assessment.

They would want to know where those documents went after they hit her computer.