Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I get bored ... I build things

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I get bored ... I build things

Have been on leave for 9 days ... have gotten really bored.

Made some pillars that I will be putting a double wide gate between when I fence in the back yard:

The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Used the wood from one pallet and a junk 4x4 to make a signpost. Has places for where the wife, kiddo & I are from. Some Lord of the Rings references (favorite book) and an homage to the vikings.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    I like it, but I do think that your little red house could use a few more rooms, added on.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

Used the wood from one pallet and a junk 4x4 to make a signpost. Has places for where the wife, kiddo & I are from. Some Lord of the Rings references (favorite book) and an homage to the vikings.

Impressive. Not only are you post grad from the McCourt school. But, You can build shit too? Much Respect. No Homo.

Love the sign idea. I'm stealing it, that's my next Mother's day present. Mrs Rainmaker digs that kind of shit.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I'm stealing the sign idea, too.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Love the sign idea. I'm stealing it, that's my next Mother's day present. Mrs Rainmaker digs that kind of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I'm stealing the sign idea, too.
    Thanks ... I literally cost me 8 dollars to get the cap and finial on the top. I had all the paint already, the hardest part was tearing apart the pallet -- they are actually put together pretty well :\

I will pass this along, if you suck at freehand etc. Download and print out what you want to put on the sign, use a pencil and cover the back of the printing in pencil rubbings and it basically makes carbon paper. Put the paper on your wood, trace it out and it will transfer the image ... easy peasy.

@Rainmaker, you will have to make a sign that says "Bunker 0 miles" that points straight down.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    I like it, but I do think that your little red house could use a few more rooms, added on.
    This reminds me of an idea I had to use a few of those prefab sheds as hunting cabins. You can buy prefab cabins, but some of the sheds are nice enough to convert into camping style cabins.

With a little decorative work like @Mjolnir did, you could put a few of those sheds around a big gazebo and make a nice little place in the mountains to escape to on the weekends for not a lot of money.

I got the idea from the Russians who are known for keeping little shacks outside of town with gardening plots that they call dachas.

They go to them on the weekends to drink vodka, grill sausages, drink vodka, tend their gardens, and drink vodka.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    This reminds me of an idea I had to use a few of those prefab sheds as hunting cabins. You can buy prefab cabins, but some of the sheds are nice enough to convert into camping style cabins.
    I looked at those, when it was all said and done with all the remodeling we were doing we had all the 2x4s and plywood I needed ... I just needed some siding, windows and the cupola. The pilings I put the shed on I originally did too small (I increased the size of the shed after I poured the pilings) so I used cinder blocks to boost/support the edges. All told the shed cost me about $300 not counting the stuff I had as scrap from the house & detached garage. Add in the cost of that stuff ... about $500 - $600 and a weekend ... I had done the pilings about 2 weeks before and that took a whole day for 9 of them.

I will post some pics of the inside of the house that I did 3 years ago ... a lot of which is torn up from a water leak right now

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    I got the idea from the Russians .
    yeah. I bet you did...Comrade Chairman Mao!

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    yeah. I bet you did...Comrade Chairman Mao!
    That's even a better idea! Give the cabins an Asian inspired motif.

A few pagoda looking cabins set in the woods, surrounding a central pavilion to cook and party at would make a damned nice weekend retreat.

Thanks Rainman!
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...