Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Flag burning question...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Flag burning question...

OK, so its been a while since the Scotus ruled that Burning, urinating, stomping etc on the US flag is protected speech as its "freedom of expression"..

BUT i wonder, would the court rule the same way if someone did exactly the same to the LGBT rainbow flag, or would they get arrested for hate speech?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    OK, so its been a while since the Scotus ruled that Burning, urinating, stomping etc on the US flag is protected speech as its "freedom of expression"..

BUT i wonder, would the court rule the same way if someone did exactly the same to the LGBT rainbow flag, or would they get arrested for hate speech?

Read,this very very carefully

You can not be arrested for hate speech in the United States, unless you are a calling for immediate and specific violence. The same Constitution that allows someone to step on the US flag would also protect you when you stepped on any other flag

You can hate as loudly and as publicly as you want, it is not a crime and in the US at least can't be made a crime

Where did you get the silly Idea that hate speak was something you could be arrested for? Railing against non-existent laws doesn't make much sense.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post

Read,this very very carefully

You can not be arrested for hate speech in the United States, unless you are a calling for immediate and specific violence. The same Constitution that allows someone to step on the US flag would also protect you when you stepped on any other flag

You can hate as loudly and as publicly as you want, it is not a crime and in the US at least can't be made a crime

Where did you get the silly Idea that hate speak was something you could be arrested for? Railing against non-existent laws doesn't make much sense.
    Be very careful with what you write. Burning an LGBT (rainbow) flag can get you charged with a hate crime. At least get the 'hate crime' aggravating charge added. This is probably what garkhal read somewhere.

http://www.ketv.com/news/gay-flag-bu...zance/31607078

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Be very careful with what you write. Burning an LGBT (rainbow) flag can get you charged with a hate crime. At least get the 'hate crime' aggravating charge added. This is probably what garkhal read somewhere.

http://www.ketv.com/news/gay-flag-bu...zance/31607078
    That is a pathetic attempt at a strawman

That idiot burned someone else's flag on someone else's property, that is simply called arson. He committed a felony, the hate crime was simply an add-on to that.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    That is a pathetic attempt at a strawman

That idiot burned someone else's flag on someone else's property, that is simply called arson. He committed a felony, the hate crime was simply an add-on to that.

I spelled that out clearly.

"........At least get the 'hate crime' aggravating charge added. This is probably what garkhal read somewhere............."

As usual the absolute nature of your wording got you into a corner. I merely pointed out that it isn't as simple as you stated. And since he was charged with a hate crime it isn't simply called arson (again with poor wording choices).

BTW: In addition to being an 'idiot' is he also a 'scumbag'?

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post

If you burn a US or Israeli flag, then it's not a hate crime, even if you hate those it represents... Americans or JEWs. If you burn an LGBT, NAMBLA, Mexican or ISIS flag, then you might be arrested for a hate crime. This is the vision of progressives.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I spelled that out clearly.

"........At least get the 'hate crime' aggravating charge added. This is probably what garkhal read somewhere............."

As usual the absolute nature of your wording got you into a corner. I merely pointed out that it isn't as simple as you stated. And since he was charged with a hate crime it isn't simply called arson (again with poor wording choices).

BTW: In addition to being an 'idiot' is he also a 'scumbag'?
    hew was not charger with hate speech, he was tried for arson motivated by hate, those are quite different things.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    If you burn a US or Israeli flag, then it's not a hate crime, even if you hate those it represents... Americans or JEWs. If you burn an LGBT, NAMBLA, Mexican or ISIS flag, then you might be arrested
    No that is simply you displaying a total ignorance about how the US Constitution and hate crime laws work. You can burn any flag for any reason even stating that reason openly. You just can't do so when burning any flag would be a crime.

Why are you railing against laws that exist only in your imagination? There are no laws against "hate speech' in the US.
    Last edited by MikeKerriii; 08-02-2015 at 05:58 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    No that is simply you displaying a total ignorance about how the US Constitution and hate crime laws work. You can burn any flag for any reason even stating that reason openly. You just can't do so when burning any flag would be a crime.

Why are you railing against laws that exist only in your imagination? There are no laws against "hate speech' in the US.
    You took me a little too seriously. That said, I'm quite convinced that if given a choice, most liberals would gladly vote to outlaw hate speech, as defined by them of course. I also believe that if given a choice, most liberals would gladly dissolve the Congress and SCOTUS in favor of Executive supreme rule, with Obama in office.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    You took me a little too seriously. That said, I'm quite convinced that if given a choice, most liberals would gladly vote to outlaw hate speech, as defined by them of course. I also believe that if given a choice, most liberals would gladly dissolve the Congress and SCOTUS in favor of Executive supreme rule, with Obama in office.
    I agree with you, except that many conservatives would like to also outlaw some speech they don't like. There are extremes on both sides who would wish to dictate what people say / how they express themselves.

The freedom of speech isn't intended to protect the opinion of the majority.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 08-02-2015 at 07:38 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.