Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free internet for low income households.. WHY????

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Free internet for low income households.. WHY????

OK, saw this on Google news..

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/15/89...bama-broadband

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2015/07...come-families/

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/c...homes-internet

http://www.worldmag.com/2015/07/obam..._poor_families

A new pilot program called ConnectHome may be the first step in changing the online experience of low-income families around the country. Today the White House announced that Google, along with ISPs like Cox, Sprint, and Century Link will be providing 275,000 low-income families with free or deeply discounted broadband service. President Obama is expected to announce the plan during a speech at a high school in Durant, Oklahoma later today.

ConnectHome will roll out in 27 cities across the country, including Atlanta, Los Angeles, Cleveland, Newark, New Orleans, and the Choctaw Nation of Oklahoma. The initial rollout is focused on reaching low-income families with school-aged children. "While many middle-class US students go home to internet access, allowing them to do research, write papers, and communicate digitally with their teachers and other students, too many lower-income children go unplugged every afternoon when school ends," the White House said in a statement, first reported by Bloomberg. The announcement comes after a new report from the White House Council of Economic Advisers that shows income is still the biggest barrier to gaining broadband access, even over geography.

Google Fiber will offer free service for low-income families in Atlanta, Durham, Kansas City, and Nashville, while Cox will offer broadband for $9.99 a month to families in cities including Macon, Georgia, Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and New Orleans. The Department of Housing and Urban Development will also require new public housing developments to support broadband going forward. Best Buy PBS, the American Library Association, and Boys and Girls Clubs of America will offer internet training to low-income families as well in a number of cities.
    So while millions of us who work have to pay for OUR internet, those who live on welfare/min wage, can now get it for free or highly discounted.

First off, i thought that is why we pay for libraries to HAVE internet areas. So those who don't have it at home can connect?

2nd, since when we started providing "Obama-phones" to "lower income" those of us who pay for our services saw a hike in what we pay to cover it.. Will the same thing happen here?

Lastly, what else will now get looked at to be made 'free' to "Lower income" people? Gas supply? Water? Power (electric)??
    Don't we already subsidise that with our tax dollars in the form of welfare, section 8 housing etc??

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    OK, saw this on Google news..

http://www.theverge.com/2015/7/15/89...bama-broadband

http://www.inflexwetrust.com/2015/07...come-families/

http://www.denverpost.com/politics/c...homes-internet

http://www.worldmag.com/2015/07/obam..._poor_families

So while millions of us who work have to pay for OUR internet, those who live on welfare/min wage, can now get it for free or highly discounted.

First off, i thought that is why we pay for libraries to HAVE internet areas. So those who don't have it at home can connect?

2nd, since when we started providing "Obama-phones" to "lower income" those of us who pay for our services saw a hike in what we pay to cover it.. Will the same thing happen here?

Lastly, what else will now get looked at to be made 'free' to "Lower income" people? Gas supply? Water? Power (electric)??
    Don't we already subsidise that with our tax dollars in the form of welfare, section 8 housing etc??
    Gyou make yourself look follish every time you use the term Obamaphone, the program was started by Bush. Using terms based on lies is bad enough, using terms based on really ignorant and easily disprovable lie is just dumb.

And the Internet program cove low cost internet to families with school age children. In toady world Internet access is part of Homework and School, while libraries are not all that accessible in many places

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    Gyou make yourself look follish every time you use the term Obamaphone, the program was started by Bush. Using terms based on lies is bad enough, using terms based on really ignorant and easily disprovable lie is just dumb.

And the Internet program cove low cost internet to families with school age children. In toady world Internet access is part of Homework and School, while libraries are not all that accessible in many places
    It may have been started under bush, but has (from what i see) significantly expanded under Obama. and iirc HE was the one who coined that phrase anyway.

As to the latter part, yes i DID see it initially applies to 'families with school age children'. BUT as i also said, don't we already fund them enough with everthing else to cover that? What 'cap' will be put in place to decide who qualifies??

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    It may have been started under bush, but has (from what i see) significantly expanded under Obama. and iirc HE was the one who coined that phrase anyway.

As to the latter part, yes i DID see it initially applies to 'families with school age children'. BUT as i also said, don't we already fund them enough with everthing else to cover that? What 'cap' will be put in place to decide who qualifies??
    I never heard them called Obamaphones until this video became popular

http://youtu.be/tpAOwJvTOio

http://gawker.com/5947133/the-obama-...-do-with-obama
    Last edited by SomeRandomGuy; 07-16-2015 at 11:36 PM.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Obama did not coil the phrase a few lying nut-jobs of the far right did. the coverage of the law expned slightly and the cost expanded less than would be accounted for by inflation

If you are in the class called working poor you a receive very little if any help from the government while still just being able to "usually pay" the minimal bills. The are caps on what incomes qualifies but they vary states to state with the cost of living. In Northern Delaware my sons friend with a 20K income and two kids is near the maximum income allowed, ad Delawar is not all that cheap a place to live

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Obama did not coil the phrase a few lying nut-jobs of the far right did. the coverage of the law expned slightly and the cost expanded less than would be accounted for by inflation

If you are in the class called working poor you a receive very little if any help from the government while still just being able to "usually pay" the minimal bills. The are caps on what incomes qualifies but they vary states to state with the cost of living. In Northern Delaware my sons friend with a 20K income and two kids is near the maximum income allowed, ad Delawar is not all that cheap a place to live
    At the rate i am seeing more and more bennies for non workers, its almost looking to me like i should just say grak it and go on the teet myself.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    At the rate i am seeing more and more bennies for non workers, its almost looking to me like i should just say grak it and go on the teet myself.
    The program supports many who work, they just don't make enough money.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So a good idea on principle & a good policy ... that is getting abused by people with little to no oversight.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    So a good idea on principle & a good policy ... that is getting abused by people with little to no oversight.
    It is hard to think of any policy by any government that doesn't get bent a bit about the edges, But this one seems pretty efficient and is not all that expense.It is not like it was Corn subsidies, Oil depletion allowances or some really corrupt like that. expacting perfection in any large system is defying Murphy and reality.

I just think the Obama phone term is a good way to identify those with limited connection to reality.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It is hard to think of any policy by any government that doesn't get bent a bit about the edges, But this one seems pretty efficient and is not all that expense.It is not like it was Corn subsidies, Oil depletion allowances or some really corrupt like that. expacting perfection in any large system is defying Murphy and reality.

I just think the Obama phone term is a good way to identify those with limited connection to reality.
    Any and all programs in a government as large as ours will have graft, it is a given. The problem is when the loss to graft and fraud outweighs the benefit we gain ... don't know if this program is there yet or not.

IMO, free internet in the home to help kids = good thing; free internet in the home used to help adult education or jobs etc. = a good thing; free internet in the home used purely for entertainment = not egregious but not the intent.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.