Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Free internet for low income households.. WHY????

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Why do you think its a good idea in principle?
    As an educational tool. As was stated above, many schools etc. nearly require use of the internet for students. It is possible to use the internet at libraries, but what if there are a lot of folks there ahead of the student etc.? I think it is a small investment to make that can assist breaking a cycle of low income wage earning; it won't solve the problem on it's own that is for sure.

Then why limit it to only "Low income families" why not all? What about low income single folk?
    Probably because middle class and high income families can more easily afford it on their own without assistance; subsidize those who need it. Like anything else, if you want to have it provided for anyone expect your taxes to go up.

As far as low income single folk, if they are attempting to go to school or get a certification or education then I am in favor of it. I was able to include my internet as an education expense for years on my taxes until I was no longer in classes despite having the income of an O4 in the military.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It may have been started under bush, but has (from what i see) significantly expanded under Obama. and iirc HE was the one who coined that phrase anyway.

As to the latter part, yes i DID see it initially applies to 'families with school age children'. BUT as i also said, don't we already fund them enough with everthing else to cover that? What 'cap' will be put in place to decide who qualifies??
    Obama did not coil the phrase a few lying nut-jobs of the far right did. the coverage of the law expned slightly and the cost expanded less than would be accounted for by inflation

If you are in the class called working poor you a receive very little if any help from the government while still just being able to "usually pay" the minimal bills. The are caps on what incomes qualifies but they vary states to state with the cost of living. In Northern Delaware my sons friend with a 20K income and two kids is near the maximum income allowed, ad Delawar is not all that cheap a place to live

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I don't have any info on this program. I will look around; I still have several contacts at CRS.
    It might be hard to find government info since the program is not funded through tax dollars, appropriations or a budget line item

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    Obama did not coil the phrase a few lying nut-jobs of the far right did. the coverage of the law expned slightly and the cost expanded less than would be accounted for by inflation

If you are in the class called working poor you a receive very little if any help from the government while still just being able to "usually pay" the minimal bills. The are caps on what incomes qualifies but they vary states to state with the cost of living. In Northern Delaware my sons friend with a 20K income and two kids is near the maximum income allowed, ad Delawar is not all that cheap a place to live
    At the rate i am seeing more and more bennies for non workers, its almost looking to me like i should just say grak it and go on the teet myself.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Last edited by TJMAC77SP; 07-17-2015 at 11:56 AM.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    Gyou make yourself look follish every time you use the term Obamaphone, the program was started by Bush. Using terms based on lies is bad enough, using terms based on really ignorant and easily disprovable lie is just dumb.
    This source claims it was started under Reagan... the "savior" for Republicans.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/taxes/cellphone.asp

Snopes is usually pretty good when it comes to fact checking and sources.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Gotta keep the drones happy with free stuff....that way they dont realize that thier masters are playing them for fools.
    The state tends to expand in proportion to its means of existence and to live beyond its means, and these are, in the last analysis, nothing but the substance of the people. Woe to the people that cannot limit the sphere of action of the state! Freedom, private enterprise, wealth, happiness, independence, personal dignity, all vanish. - Frederic Bastiat

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    There are hundreds of remixes of this lady's rant, but this one is my favorite.

It is one hell of a song!

EDIT:Stick with this video until it gets to the chorus! I guarantee that you will be walking around humming it the next couple of days.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 07-17-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    At the rate i am seeing more and more bennies for non workers, its almost looking to me like i should just say grak it and go on the teet myself.
    The program supports many who work, they just don't make enough money.