Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 10

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries

Windows 10

Good? Bad? What are your thoughts on the new platform?

I have seen that Windows 10 beta has been available. I am not sure if it is available to anybody, or if it is available to a small test crew.

I have finally gotten used to using Windows 8.1. Does anyone see any reason to want to switch out to 10?

Also, does anyone know about whether the new platform will be covered by any of the anti virus programs already being used if we do switch over?
    Last edited by UncaRastus; 07-10-2015 at 02:38 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncaRastus View Post
    Good? Bad? What are your thoughts on the new platform?

I have seen that Windows 10 beta has been available. I am not sure if it is available to anybody, or if it is available to a small test crew.

I have finally gotten used to using Windows 8.1. Does anyone see any reason to want to switch out to 10?

Also, does anyone know about whether the new platform will be covered by any of the anti virus programs already being used if we do switch over?
    Windows 10 will start rolling out to users at the end of July. The first ones to get it will be those who signed up to be Window's Insiders. They are usually tech savvy and if there are any problems they'll be the first to report it.

I follow the advice of Kim Komando most things dealing with computers and she thinks Windows 10 will be better than Windows 8 and 8.1. Of all the advice on recommending computer programs she hasn't let me down. If you've installed updates to your Windows 8.1 then you'll most likely be automatically be getting the Windows 10 installed automatically. There are seven features that you'll likely lose and you can view them at the this link: http://www.komando.com/happening-now...ou-upgrade/all

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    LogDog,

Thanks for the info!

I received something in my email about reserving a copy of Windows 10 about a week ago, and a few days ago, I received word that it will be downloaded automatically, and that they will send me a notification for when it is ready to install.

I have read the Kim Komando entry on Windows 10. I hope that it is as good as I am led to believe.

On the other hand, after finally becoming Windows 8.1 savvy, I do wonder if it'll be worth the trade.
    Last edited by UncaRastus; 07-10-2015 at 09:39 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LogDog View Post
    Windows 10 will start rolling out to users at the end of July. The first ones to get it will be those who signed up to be Window's Insiders. They are usually tech savvy and if there are any problems they'll be the first to report it.

I follow the advice of Kim Komando most things dealing with computers and she thinks Windows 10 will be better than Windows 8 and 8.1. Of all the advice on recommending computer programs she hasn't let me down. If you've installed updates to your Windows 8.1 then you'll most likely be automatically be getting the Windows 10 installed automatically. There are seven features that you'll likely lose and you can view them at the this link: http://www.komando.com/happening-now...ou-upgrade/all
    I hope they don't automatically force that update on me. It was bad enough after they did the 8.1 forced update..

If so, i just might have to turn off my automatic update feature again, and go back to "Notify me of any update to install..

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I hope they don't automatically force that update on me. It was bad enough after they did the 8.1 forced update..

If so, i just might have to turn off my automatic update feature again, and go back to "Notify me of any update to install..
    I'd suggest you turnoff your automatic update feature. If you get a notification of "additional updates" then chances are one of those updates is to automatically update you to Windows 10. Before updating any file, check to see if this file is one of them: KB3035583. That is the file to automatically update you to Windows 10. If you've already updated this file you can uninstall it by going to your Control Panel, Under Windows Update, click "View installed updates. Find KB3035583, right click it and then click uninstall.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post

I heard that updating to windows 10 makes you gay....not validated, but better safe than sorry

I'm pretty sure it's a liberal thing either way
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I heard that updating to windows 10 makes you gay....not validated, but better safe than sorry
    I update once a year just to see if I like it ... wait ... what?
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    I shall be the experimental hamster for y'all. When the time comes, if I don't survive this new thing, tell my wife that I loved her.

Also, tell her that the rack of clickers are not just toys, after all, but that they are actually there to activate the claymore anti personnel mines that I have have emplaced and camoed up in the front yard.

Thank y'all in advance, brahs!

PS It would be nice if you could tell her not to mess with the garden elves that I have placed strategically.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Here is what was emailed to me on Windows 10 from Microsoft:

"Windows will automatically take care of the download in advance. Then you’ll get a notification when your upgrade is ready to install. That way you can start using Windows 10 immediately – or schedule a time to install that’s convenient for you."

So, it does sound as if I will have the choice as to when or whether I want to install. I do believe that I will wait a couple of weeks, to see if there are any complaints as to the usage thereof.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Be sure to create a restore point on your computer BEFORE you upgrade ...

just sayin'
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.