Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Maternity leave to get tripled for Navy and Marines.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Maternity leave to get tripled for Navy and Marines.

Saw this over on the GOP site, but am using 3 other sites for linkages.

http://www.insidenova.com/news/milit...a22d9a77c.html

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...act-women.html

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2015/...3751436221582/

So who thinks this will be a good idea for the military?

Does anyone think the same will ever get done for 'fathers' and paternity leave?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    For those who truly value a woman's service, this is the right thing to do. It would be nice to offer the same benefit to fathers, but at this point in a baby's life I'm guessing (I don't have kids) that it's more important for the mother to with the baby 24/7. Of course, this need goes beyond just 18 weeks. I guess this is where a break in service, like one offered by the Air Force, would definitely be a nice option for mothers who don't want to leave their babies at the CDC for the first few years of their life.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Dang! 18 weeks off? That is 126 days or basically the equivalent of a four month deployment. This would really suck in smaller shops if a bunch of women get pregnant at the same time. A few years back, out of 18 people in our shop (including men) four of the women got pregnant at the same time. It was bad enough when they were all gone for six weeks that mostly overlapped. I can't imagine losing 22% of one shop for four months. Especially if someone in that shop also had to fulfill a deployment tasking. With that being said, I agree with Flaps that this is probably the right thing to do. I have a 9 month old at home and a 3 year old. Their mother stays home with them full-time. Those first few months are very important for the infant especially if the mother is breastfeeding.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Dang! 18 weeks off? That is 126 days or basically the equivalent of a four month deployment. This would really suck in smaller shops if a bunch of women get pregnant at the same time. A few years back, out of 18 people in our shop (including men) four of the women got pregnant at the same time. It was bad enough when they were all gone for six weeks that mostly overlapped. I can't imagine losing 22% of one shop for four months. Especially if someone in that shop also had to fulfill a deployment tasking. With that being said, I agree with Flaps that this is probably the right thing to do. I have a 9 month old at home and a 3 year old. Their mother stays home with them full-time. Those first few months are very important for the infant especially if the mother is breastfeeding.
    Obama is the first woman president.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post

Does anyone think the same will ever get done for 'fathers' and paternity leave?
    I for one hope not. Because, This is a victory for families.

So, Don't allow yourself to play into their hands and fall victim to the Feminist (equalist) argument that women can do anything men can do (and vice versa), and everything has to be gender neutral.....

I know you are not religious man garhkal , and that's ok with me..... But, understand this my Friend.......... Baphomet is Gay. Which is why these Satanists behind all the Bullshit agendas seek to pervert everything that is beauty, love, respect and truth. It Starts with dividing and conquering the Family Unit.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 07-08-2015 at 02:10 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Google the phrase "benevolent sexism".
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Will a woman on maternity leave receive a "not observed" fitrep/eval for the time (18 weeks) that she is on maternity leave? If not, then why not? Just askin'.
    As Libertarians, we seek a world of liberty; a world in which all individuals are sovereign over their own lives and no one is forced to sacrifice his or her values for the benefit of others

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    Will a woman on maternity leave receive a "not observed" fitrep/eval for the time (18 weeks) that she is on maternity leave? If not, then why not? Just askin'.
    No. Because Diversity is our Greatest Strength and Milk does a body good. So, When 25% of the force is Lactating it makes you stronger.

http://www.thineselfbetrue.com/wp-co...0ee28d8d_o.jpg
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 07-08-2015 at 06:38 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    I for one hope not. Because, This is a victory for families.

So, Don't allow yourself to play into their hands and fall victim to the Feminist (equalist) argument that women can do anything men can do (and vice versa), and everything has to be gender neutral.....

I know you are not religious man garhkal , and that's ok with me..... But, understand this my Friend.......... Baphomet is Gay. Which is why these Satanists behind all the Bullshit agendas seek to pervert everything that is beauty, love, respect and truth. It Starts with dividing and conquering the Family Unit.
    So fathers matter not as much as mothers for families IYO?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So who thinks this will be a good idea for the military?
    Good idea, yes. As @FLAPS, USAF (ret) said ... this is attaching value to their service and also is likely to have some (small maybe but some) impact on females ideas on staying in or separating. Also, the new policy only allows it to be taken in the first year after birth, when a female would be prohibited from sea duty anyway ... so no impact on ship's manning. Yeah, it may be a burden on the shore establishment but it can be mitigated.

A full 18 weeks, no. Some additional time is being talked about. I got the 21 days we were in China reimbursed via a policy in the MILPERSMAN, and got an additional 30 days non chargeable leave after we got back to facilitate "bonding with a recently adopted child." That is specific for adoption but applies to fathers and mothers.

I think a mother's bonding is more essential (breastfeeding, caregiving etc.) and mothers have a stronger psychological bond having carried the child to term; so I think longer for a maternity leave than paternity leave is appropriate. Add into all of that the physical aspects associated with childbirth and I think it is a good thing. Having worked with females who had recently given birth, each is different... some are ready to come back to work full speed once their convalescent leave is over, others take longer. Having never squeezed something the size of a watermelon out of hole the size of a lemon ... I will defer on calling them non-hackers.

Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    Why should she, there are 52 weeks in a reporting period. Even taking the convalescent leave into account, there is plenty of time to accumulate enough data to properly evaluate their professional performance. Now, if they are a new check in and then have the baby, then go on 18 weeks of leave and their eval/fitrep came due I think it would be appropriate to issue a NOB report just like you would someone who has been onboard less than 90 days.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.