Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rundown of Heritage months by month

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    That may be how they (subjectively did it) but there has not been anything in the instruction directing it ... as I said, at least since the first PEM I read in 2004. But, I would really be surprised if that is really how it worked ... see below.
    As i said, its what i saw, so whether it was right or not, its how i perceived things to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Are you fibbing on any of this? My bullshit detector is going off.
    Nope. Heck for the 4 JSOQ, three SOQ and 3 SOY boards i sat in on, some of the consistent things that were brought up as 'separators' were how much volunteer time *both off base, and on base for the heritage months), how many heritage months they attended/helped set up, and what college courses they were taking.

And in several cases, even with someone who had lots of college/off base volunteer time, it seemed to come down to how many heritage/history months they helped out with (all else being equal).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    As i said, its what i saw, so whether it was right or not, its how i perceived things to be.
    I get that. I don't know how many times I have told people who thought their LPO or LCPO ... or DIVO etc. could deny their leave ... turns out that while DIVO's could approve up to 3 days, DH's up to 7 and the XO up to 14 ... the only person who could say 'no' was the CO ... but everyone perceived something different.

How things are and how they are supposed to be aren't always in alignment; being able to ID when they are not makes things a lot easier.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    That it does. I know the thing on leave denial from first hand experience. Was a lowly E4 on my first ship when it first happened. Initially i was bummed till one of my E5s let me know the div o and even the ops o, couldn't deny it. Only the CO could.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    At one of my assignments, commanders were expected to attend all "Fill in the Blank" Heritage Months luncheons. I think it was the Asian Pacific lunch, I was forced to fill in for my commander, sit in my chair, eat my Asian munchies, and maintain a smile on my face. Actually, there was a speaker who was pretty good.

Anyway, I think it's pretty sad that a) the military has to jump on the "Fill in the Blank" Heritage Month wagon, and b) ORDERS its leaders to attend these events, no matter what their personal feelings are. Can't the military just focus on MILITARY stuff?
    "It's absurd to believe that soldiers who can not be made to eat a plate of lumpia and fried rice can be induced to move forward in battle. Officers who fail to perform their duty by enforcing proper conduct are incapable of leading" Gen George S. Patton
    The Voice of Reason