Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 34

Thread: Rundown of Heritage months by month

  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Bullshit! Don't try to change your tune to one of a hardcore airman after you were just sniveling a few minutes ago about eat a burrito at a Mexican heritage lunch.
    Well, I'm probably the best judge of my own actual opinions, so I suggest you stop making yourself look like an ass.

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    At one of my assignments, commanders were expected to attend all "Fill in the Blank" Heritage Months luncheons. I think it was the Asian Pacific lunch, I was forced to fill in for my commander, sit in my chair, eat my Asian munchies, and maintain a smile on my face. Actually, there was a speaker who was pretty good.

    Anyway, I think it's pretty sad that a) the military has to jump on the "Fill in the Blank" Heritage Month wagon, and b) ORDERS its leaders to attend these events, no matter what their personal feelings are. Can't the military just focus on MILITARY stuff?
    Same here. Heck at 2 of my commands, i do remember some of our upper echelon stating that "those who DON'T go fully in and show support to these events will NEVER get a 3 or higher on their equal opportunity rankings.

    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    What a load of cry baby drivel this is. After you dry your eyes and wipe the snot from your nose, would you care to explain why heritage months are so bad?

    Also, in a few years most of the military will be replaced by robots so the problem will be solved, mostly.
    Its not that they are bad in and of themselves, but that you are compelled to show support, "OR ELSE".

  3. #23
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,883
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Heritage months perpetuate the focus on our differences, rather than our commonalities. The fact is, we are ALL human beings. In the Air Force, all members bleed blue. That's it! Equality will finally be a reality when we STOP dividing ourselves based on sex, race, religion. That's a fact, jack!
    Equality is overrated. This Country wasn't founded on the principle of Equality. The only time we are supposed to be equal is when we Are Created.

    The Country was founded on the principle of Freedom. Freedom from the Government. Which meant Freedom to succeed or Fail on your own merit without the government getting involved and intervening in your business......

    Equality Sucks. Because, when everyone is a winner, no one is a winner...... Equality is Un-American....You want Equality, Then Move to Fucking France.
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-26-2015 at 05:28 PM.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,883
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Same here. Heck at 2 of my commands, i do remember some of our upper echelon stating that "those who DON'T go fully in and show support to these events will NEVER get a 3 or higher on their equal opportunity rankings.



    Its not that they are bad in and of themselves, but that you are compelled to show support, "OR ELSE".
    What in the world is an equal opportunity ranking? Please Don't tell me that is an actual category on your evals now or something?

  5. #25
    Senior Member Rainmaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    on a Marl Road
    Posts
    3,883
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USN - Retired View Post
    When is bearded clam month?

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    What in the world is an equal opportunity ranking? Please Don't tell me that is an actual category on your evals now or something?
    Its block 34 on the Naval Evaluation sheet, Equal opportunity.
    A person who is a 1.0
    -displays personal bias or engages in harassment
    -tolerates bias, unfairness or harassment in subordinates
    -lacks respect for EO objectives
    -Interferes with good order and discipline by disregarding rights of others

    A 3.0 ranking is
    -Always treats others with fairness and respect
    -does not condone bias or harassment in our out of the workplace
    -Supports Navy EO objectives
    -Contributes to unit cohesiveness and morale

    A 5.0 ranking is
    -Admired for fairness and human respect
    -Ensures a climate for fairness and respect
    -Proactive EO leader, Achieves concrete EO goals

    IIRC the way the Eval manual read, if you did NOT attend all the EO functions (meaning the heritage months/history months) you could NEVER get rated above a 3.0. And to SOME you were not even worthy OF that 3.o unless you attended them. If you hosted/volunteered to help those events out though, you were 4.0 or higher.

    That is why i felt that you were 'compelled' to attend the events "OR ELSE"..

  7. #27
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    IIRC the way the Eval manual read, if you did NOT attend all the EO functions (meaning the heritage months/history months) you could NEVER get rated above a 3.0. And to SOME you were not even worthy OF that 3.o unless you attended them. If you hosted/volunteered to help those events out though, you were 4.0 or higher.

    That is why i felt that you were 'compelled' to attend the events "OR ELSE"..
    Not true since at least 2003 when I came in the Navy, (covering three revisions of the PEM in 08, 11 & 15). There is no requirement in the USN Performance & Evaluation Manual on how attendance at any heritage / history months correlates to a marking in the EO block (I had heard the same gouge and tasked folks with finding that in there -- I had already read the thing cover to cover and knew it wasn't in there -- simply put ... that is bad gouge.) A marking of below 3.0 would require documentation and comments, so being marked below a 3.0 for not attending any of that would be very hard to justify and likely warrant a statement from the member reported on. The criteria for the EO has been defined (since I first read it in '04) as:

    Equal Opportunity. Comment on initiative in supporting the Command Managed Equal Opportunity (CMEO) Program and maintaining an environment free of racial or sexual bias or harassment. Consider performance with respect to civilian employees as well as military members.

    Now, the Reporting Senior can be subjective in how they define "supporting the Command Managed Equal Opportunity (CMEO) Program and maintaining an environment free of racial or sexual bias or harassment", but I will say I have only seen a 5.0 in EO if the individual was the CO, XO, CMC, CMEO / EEO or part of the Command Assessment team; generally it is hard to truly go above and beyond in EO if you are not somehow managing the program or leading folks on a large scale.

    Now, if you felt compelled to attend, you may have had a pushy or overbearing LPO, LCPO etc., but they are certainly executing the intent of the PEM in taking "initiative in supporting the Command Managed Equal Opportunity" by talking up & offering personnel a chance to attend.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 06-26-2015 at 10:16 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,329
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Not true since at least 2003 when I came in the Navy, (covering three revisions of the PEM in 08, 11 & 15). There is no requirement in the USN Performance & Evaluation Manual on how attendance at any heritage / history months correlates to a marking in the EO block (I had heard the same gouge and tasked folks with finding that in there -- I had already read the thing cover to cover and knew it wasn't in there -- simply put ... that is bad gouge.) A marking of below 3.0 would require documentation and comments, so being marked below a 3.0 for not attending any of that would be very hard to justify and likely warrant a statement from the member reported on. The criteria for the EO has been defined (since I first read it in '04) as:
    It may not be in there but it is how many of my superiors did see it. Heck 2 flat out told us when he arrived in a Div-o call, that is HOW he grades that block.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Now, the Reporting Senior can be subjective in how they define "supporting the Command Managed Equal Opportunity (CMEO) Program and maintaining an environment free of racial or sexual bias or harassment", but I will say I have only seen a 5.0 in EO if the individual was the CO, XO, CMC, CMEO / EEO or part of the Command Assessment team; generally it is hard to truly go above and beyond in EO if you are not somehow managing the program or leading folks on a large scale.
    Usually i have seen it that the only 5.0s were handed out to those who helped set up at least 5 or more of the heritage/history months in a calendar year. 2-5 got you a 4.0.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Now, if you felt compelled to attend, you may have had a pushy or overbearing LPO, LCPO etc., but they are certainly executing the intent of the PEM in taking "initiative in supporting the Command Managed Equal Opportunity" by talking up & offering personnel a chance to attend.
    g

    It was mostly how i saw things coming down from our div officers and chiefs but occasionally from the Dep head level.

  9. #29
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,965
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    It may not be in there but it is how many of my superiors did see it. Heck 2 flat out told us when he arrived in a Div-o call, that is HOW he grades that block.
    That may be how they (subjectively did it) but there has not been anything in the instruction directing it ... as I said, at least since the first PEM I read in 2004. But, I would really be surprised if that is really how it worked ... see below.

    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Usually i have seen it that the only 5.0s were handed out to those who helped set up at least 5 or more of the heritage/history months in a calendar year. 2-5 got you a 4.0.

    g

    It was mostly how i saw things coming down from our div officers and chiefs but occasionally from the Dep head level.
    That would actually surprise me, for two reasons:

    1. I have been attached to 7 sea commands, never have I seen a DIVO as a reporting senior (the one who the score actually belongs to.) Chiefs and DIVO's can be raters and senior raters, and by instruction MCPO's who are OIC's can be reporting seniors for E-5 and below only. Minimum grade requirements generally prohibit DIVO's from being a reporting senior. ENS, LTjg can't be reporting seniors, and LT's can if they are Department Heads, but only for junior Sailors. The rater and senior rater make recommendations, but that is all it is and is generally restricted by a reporting senior managing their cumulative trait average. As OPS on a DDG, I kicked back a bunch of evals that fell outside of my prescribed averages ... that score is mine to manage and follows me from command to command until I am gone from the Navy.

    2. Usually the scores in blocks 33-39 are one of the last things that were actually completed. Every Eval cycle I have been involved in has followed the same procedure:

    - Sailors were 'racked and stacked' via the QRB (in a group of 10 ... 1 to 10).
    - Based on QRB standings the Sailors are divided into promotion recommendation groups (EP (1-3), MP (4-6), P (7-10) etc.)
    - Upper and lower limits for the groups are established by the reporting senior (this is important -- see below)
    - Traits are assigned to individuals IAW their standing in their summary groups, the goal being to have the MP's significantly above the average, the EP's slightly above or at the avg, and the P's generally being fodder for the numeric average.

    Generally, EO & Military Bearing are the ones used to tweak the performance trait average. Big picture (and this is something I have seen that very, very few people really understand ... it doesn't matter if you get a 3 or 5 in block 35 or 36 ... or really any block ... what the CPO board is looking at (I have been a recorder for 2 ... so have seen this) is if your performance trait average is above your summary group and the reporting seniors cumulative average -- a trait average of 4.75 may sound great but isn't if the reporting seniors cumulative average is 4.83.

    The reporting senior should be tracking what their cumulative average is, and that is why the RS tells the LCPO etc the range he wants his EP's, MP's and P's to be in -- if the average creeps too high it gets too hard to ID true hard chargers & those who are really a P Sailor.

    So, to tie this back into the topic ... I have never in a QRB seen it discussed how many heritage month events a Sailor went to. Believe it or not they tended to focus on mission accomplishment, technical & tactical proficiency, leadership etc. Now, having overheard many conversations after Evals were debriefed to Sailors there are always people who bellyache about why so-and-so got an EP and they got a P. Yes, some people get screwed ... especially once they declare intent to separate since people start to posture other folks for promotion ... but generally people are real shitty assessors of their own shortcomings and try to find anything they can to not take a look at those shortcomings. How this applies to being the CMEO or EEO, Big Navy (& USAF, USA & USMC) say we will have the programs ... someone has to run them. If you and the guy running that program both are doing your job to the same level of proficiency and they have taken on a command collateral duty and you haven't ... I will rate them higher than you; no collateral duty overcomes not knowing your job, but at certain levels you are also expected to broaden yourself out.

    I am an XO right now and this is a constant education to officers and CPO's who rely on rumor and 'sage knowledge' vice actually breaking out the instructions or volunteering to sit as part of a board for a few weeks.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 06-27-2015 at 05:09 AM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  10. #30
    Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    3,669
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    It may not be in there but it is how many of my superiors did see it. Heck 2 flat out told us when he arrived in a Div-o call, that is HOW he grades that block.



    Usually i have seen it that the only 5.0s were handed out to those who helped set up at least 5 or more of the heritage/history months in a calendar year. 2-5 got you a 4.0.

    g

    It was mostly how i saw things coming down from our div officers and chiefs but occasionally from the Dep head level.
    Are you fibbing on any of this? My bullshit detector is going off.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •