Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rachel Dolezal NAACP Spokane

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    She was calling herself white at Howard University, and actually filed a lawsuit against them for reducing her tuition because she was white.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    As being mentioned elsewhere. If people can self identify as being the opposite sex (which considering even after sex change ops, your DNA does not change), why can't they self identify with being another 'race' which according to the Human Genome project, there is no DNA identifying one's race..
    People don't actually change their sex, they change their gender. Sex is determined by nature while gender is determined by social conditioning.

As for your assumptions about race, you are once again misinformed.

Quote Originally Posted by TIME MAGAZINE
    Analysis of genomes from around the world establishes that there is a biological basis for race, despite the official statements to the contrary of leading social science organizations. An illustration of the point is the fact that with mixed race populations, such as African Americans, geneticists can now track along an individual’s genome, and assign each segment to an African or European ancestor, an exercise that would be impossible if race did not have some basis in biological reality.

Racism and discrimination are wrong as a matter of principle, not of science. That said, it is hard to see anything in the new understanding of race that gives ammunition to racists. The reverse is the case. Exploration of the genome has shown that all humans, whatever their race, share the same set of genes. Each gene exists in a variety of alternative forms known as alleles, so one might suppose that races have distinguishing alleles, but even this is not the case. A few alleles have highly skewed distributions but these do not suffice to explain the difference between races. The difference between races seems to rest on the subtle matter of relative allele frequencies. The overwhelming verdict of the genome is to declare the basic unity of humankind.
    http://time.com/91081/what-science-s...-and-genetics/
    I don't know about there being a double standard between those who are supportive of Jenner, but not supportive of Dolezal.

It depends on why a person objects to Dolezal, is it for being dishonest, or merely identifying as black?

Dolezal is connected to the black community. She was raised with adopted black siblings, went to black universities, married a black man, has two black children, and had a job that was centered on black social issues.

I'd say she is a member of the black community.

That said, she did lie about her lineage and one can certainly fault her for lying.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-16-2015 at 10:08 PM.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    People don't actually change their sex, they change their gender. Sex is determined by nature while gender is determined by social conditioning.

As for your assumptions about race, you are once again misinformed.

I don't know about there being a double standard between those who are supportive of Jenner, but not supportive of Dolezal.

It depends on why a person objects to Dolezal, is it for being dishonest, or merely identifying as black?

Dolezal is connected to the black community. She was raised with adopted black siblings, went to black universities, married a black man, has two black children, and had a job that was centered on black social issues.

I'd say she is a member of the black community.

That said, she did lie about her lineage and one can certainly fault her for lying.
    Doubleplusgood Comrade!
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 06-16-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Just cause you've had a lot of black DNA in you, don't mean you've got a lot of black DNA in you. Gnomesayin?
    That one is kinda funnny.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Her story is getting wackier and wackier. I'm not surprised that a local reporter outed her.

Before this hit the national news, she was telling stories about being born in a teepee and being beaten with a strap in South Africa.

A couple of years ago she was claiming that someone was leaving nooses on her porch.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Her story is getting wackier and wackier. I'm not surprised that a local reporter outed her.

Before this hit the national news, she was telling stories about being born in a teepee and being beaten with a strap in South Africa.

A couple of years ago she was claiming that someone was leaving nooses on her porch.
    I imagine for some there is some deep seated racial undertone to the reaction to her claims. I think for most, myself included, it is her decades long deceits.

My (completely unqualified) opinion is that she has some psychological condition (perhaps obsession) to identify with a culture in which she has no direct and familial connection.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I imagine for some there is some deep seated racial undertone to the reaction to her claims. I think for most, myself included, it is her decades long deceits.

My (completely unqualified) opinion is that she has some psychological condition (perhaps obsession) to identify with a culture in which she has no direct and familial connection.
    I would say she does have a direct connection to black culture. She has a black ex-husband, black children, her family includes adopted black siblings, and she held a post within the NAACP.

They lying is where it goes off the rails. According to her brother and job applications, she only started passing herself off as being born to black parents in 2011.

Although her parents claim that the admissions staff at Howard University was under the impression she was black when she was offered a full scholarship. Her mother said jaws were dropping when she walked into the admissions office for the first time.

Exactly how they got that impression, I don't know. Was it a block checked as being bi-racial, or perhaps an admissions essay that highlighted being raised in a multi-ethnic family.

Her parents are definitely upset with her for claiming that she lived in South Africa with them, she didn't, and has never been to South Africa.

It is all about the lying in my opinion.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I would say she does have a direct connection to black culture. She has a black ex-husband, black children, her family includes adopted black siblings, and she held a post within the NAACP.

They lying is where it goes off the rails. According to her brother and job applications, she only started passing herself off as being born to black parents in 2011.

Although her parents claim that the admissions staff at Howard University was under the impression she was black when she was offered a full scholarship. Her mother said jaws were dropping when she walked into the admissions office for the first time.

Exactly how they got that impression, I don't know. Was it a block checked as being bi-racial, or perhaps an admissions essay that highlighted being raised in a multi-ethnic family.

Her parents are definitely upset with her for claiming that she lived in South Africa with them, she didn't, and has never been to South Africa.

It is all about the lying in my opinion.
    It is very seldom ALL about one thing and I believe that to be the case here as well.

It's pretty clear her direct connection with the culture is manufactured. She herself admitted that long before the black husband, black kids and going to an HBCU she manufactured this connection in her head.

She isn't evil. She is a fraud no doubt but I also think there is some mental condition at play here.

I am a bit surprised at the acceptance support she is garnering among some in the black community. Contrast that with the vehemence that Chet Haze (Tom Hanks' rapper son) has faced by his adaption of the hip hop culture as his own.

It's seldom ALL about one thing.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    It is very seldom ALL about one thing and I believe that to be the case here as well.

It's pretty clear her direct connection with the culture is manufactured. She herself admitted that long before the black husband, black kids and going to an HBCU she manufactured this connection in her head.

She isn't evil. She is a fraud no doubt but I also think there is some mental condition at play here.

I am a bit surprised at the acceptance support she is garnering among some in the black community. Contrast that with the vehemence that Chet Haze (Tom Hanks' rapper son) has faced by his adaption of the hip hop culture as his own.

It's seldom ALL about one thing.
    Ok garkhal, I understand that you are very eager to point out black racism with your upper case text.

How about giving us something more substantial than yelling the word "all" at us.

If not for the lying, then we wouldn't be seeing her story in the news. Had she not lied, there would be no story to cover.

If it isn't all about the lying, then what is it about? Tom Hank's son isn't connected to this story.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-17-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Ok garkhal, I understand that you are very eager to point out black racism with your upper case text.

How about giving us something more substantial than yelling the word "all" at us.

If not for the lying, then we wouldn't be seeing her story in the news. Had she not lied, there would be no story to cover.

If it isn't all about the lying, then what is it about? Tom Hank's son isn't connected to this story.
    I have no frapping clue where you think I am pointing out black racism. My upper case text (which once AGAIN is for emphasis and not yelling despite your stated internet protocol mandates) is to point out that I disagree with your attempting characterize this story as being ONLY about the lies.

Two white people adopting the culture of another is not connected. Granted it isn't a complete apple to apple comparison but it can't be completely dismissed.

To answer your question I will ask you one.....................Did you read my posts at all?!?!?!

BTW. new low for you throwing the racist card at me. Feeling a bit overwhelmed today?

P.S. Of course there wouldn't be a story if her lies hadn't been discovered. She would still be getting away with it but how exactly does that prove that it's ALL about the lies?
    Last edited by TJMAC77SP; 06-17-2015 at 02:30 PM.