Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The problem with calling out ‘stolen valor': What if you’re wrong?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    You like it too?
    Sure.

I must be emotionally barren compared to you guys,
    I feel nothing watching something like that.
    Earning the respect and approval of your grandfather? I'm a sucker for the family generational thing....I still get watery-eyed when I hear "Cats in the Cradle"
    The Voice of Reason

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Sure.

Earning the respect and approval of your grandfather? I'm a sucker for the family generational thing....I still get watery-eyed when I hear "Cats in the Cradle"

LOL

Cats in the Cradle conjures up an image of a pretentious folk singer wearing a turtleneck sweater. I get nothing from the actual story.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    LOL

Cats in the Cradle conjures up an image of a pretentious folk singer wearing a turtleneck sweater. I get nothing from the actual story.
    You have no soul.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You like sentimental stuff like that? I'd be very uncomfortable if grandpa did that to me. As a matter of fact, that seems so unrealistic from my experiences with my family that it is almost alien.

Not that it matters, but I'm incredibly bored today.

I also have no idea what division that patch was for but it wasn't the 101st. The 101st is a very distinctive eagle's head.

That thing was red and white with something gold in the middle of it. I tried checking the Army website, but I could not figure it out.
    You are right. The patch is for the 1st ID (Big Red One). They saw service starting in Africa all the way to Germany.

Also, when I posted the ad I kinda figured you'd view it with a jaundiced eye.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    LOL

I often find myself desperately hoping you post in the manner of RM some days (full of shit with a hidden meaning somewhere)
    Last edited by TJMAC77SP; 06-06-2015 at 11:49 PM.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    You are right. The patch is for the 1st ID (Big Red One). They saw service starting in Africa all the way to Germany.

Also, when I posted the ad I kinda figured you'd view it with a jaundiced eye.
    I got the video to pause on that half a second shot that it is visible and it is a 1st ID patch, it looked a lot different in motion.

Seriously, that would freak me out if that happened to me. My family doesn't show that much sentimentality, and I'd feel very uncomfortable.

If you really think about a grandpa doing that, it is sort of a dickish move to knock his grandson out of the spotlight like that.

Then I start thinking about how his WWII uniform would probably be busting at the seems and have moths flying out of the pockets.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I often find myself desperately hoping you post in the manner of RM some days (full of shit with a hidden meaning somewhere)
    Well, folk singers do tend to be a bunch of pro-union fondue eating commies.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I'm not the confrontational type, unless someone is seeking to profit from it.

As far as the Lance Corporal, a quick Google search indicates enlisted Marines in that time period all wore the same style belt buckle - a plain one. When he replaced his buckle, he probably didn't realize it had changed. He probably replaced the buckle at some point and didn't realize there was a change. No big deal. I've seen probably about 5-6 uniform changes just over my career. It happens.

Regarding Lindsey Lowery, at what point do you man up and realize she's telling the truth, then apologize? She explained the circumstances, posted redacted copies of her personnel records, a letter from her CC, and a video of her accessing her deployment orders online. Guardians of Valor eventually investigated and found she was telling the truth. How many of the people who attacked her online later apologized at some point? I'm willing to bet few to none - which makes them gutless cowards, IMO. Frankly, I'd wouldn't be surprised if more than a few of her attackers had embellished their records. it's always the ones that scream the loudest that have the most to hide.
    Newton's First Law of Motion

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I am all for calling out fakes but if there is even the slightest doubt one should keep their mouth shut. Aside from a huge self-embarrassment you end up shaming a legitimate service member while attempting to do something you view as honoring service members.
    Agreed. I would rather check first, if nothing else, call one or two of the 'commands' the potential fake, says they were at.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by technomage1 View Post
    How many of the people who attacked her online later apologized at some point? I'm willing to bet few to none - which makes them gutless cowards, IMO.
    -I would guess very few people went back and apologized.

Social media activism very rarely equates to responsible reporting of facts or accountability when you get it wrong.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.