Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Westboro church to picket Biden funeral

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Westboro church to picket Biden funeral

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...rday/28531733/

A Kansas church, known for its picketing of soldiers' funerals, is promising to protest the funeral of Beau Biden on Saturday.

The Westboro Baptist Church of Topeka, Kansas, according to its website godhatesfags.com, will picket outside Wilmington's St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church from 9:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m.

Biden's funeral Mass starts at 10:30 a.m. at St. Anthony.

The group also targets Biden's father, Vice President Joe Biden.

"Lord willing, WBC will zealously warn Joe Biden and the others at that time/place that God has clear standards, that He requires obedience, and that He curses those who refuse to obey, especially those who interfere with His people in their worship of and service to Him," according to the website. "Our faithful warning: Repent or likewise perish!"

Westboro is known for its harsh anti-gay beliefs and the crude signs its members carry at their frequent protests, according to the Southern Poverty Law Center, an organization that tracks hate groups and advocates for civil rights. The center describes Westboro as "a family-based cult" that is made up of its leader, Pastor Fred Waldron Phelps, nine of his 13 children, their children and spouses and a small number of other families and individuals.

"They believe that God chooses some to be saved, and those lucky few cannot resist God's call; but God chooses not to save most, and these unfortunate souls will burn in hell forever," the center claims.

This would not be the first visit to Delaware by the group, which also holds demonstrations at other events.

Seven members of the unaffiliated Baptist church held colorful signs proclaiming "America is Doomed" and "Fags are Beasts" during the state's first same-sex marriage ceremonies in 2013.

The group also protested during the 2010 funeral of Jean Finnegan Biden, Joe Biden's mother.

Church members are known for getting demonstration permits and not showing up, as they did with the funerals of the victims of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting.
    Good luck to these guys. Just like LA has Compton and Detroit has Flint; Philadelphia has Wilmington, DE and Camden, NJ. I expect there to be some pretty heavy police presence there, but I still expect something to go down.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...rday/28531733/

Good luck to these guys. Just like LA has Compton and Detroit has Flint; Philadelphia has Wilmington, DE and Camden, NJ. I expect there to be some pretty heavy police presence there, but I still expect something to go down.
    You expect something will go down, as in another group will commit violence on them?

That is exactly what WBC wants. While I doubt they want to be injured, they do want groups(preferably groups with assets) to interfere with them.

Their main reason for protesting is to lure a municipality or state government into violating their civil rights in some manner, and then sue that state/local government for damages.

Who knows if they really believe all that stuff they preach, I suspect it is just an act.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    You expect something will go down, as in another group will commit violence on them?

That is exactly what WBC wants. While I doubt they want to be injured, they do want groups(preferably groups with assets) to interfere with them.

Their main reason for protesting is to lure a municipality or state government into violating their civil rights in some manner, and then sue that state/local government for damages.

Who knows if they really believe all that stuff they preach, I suspect it is just an act.
    It's a situation where the WBC will "win" either way, which puts any potential attackers in a "nothing to lose" situation.

I would agree that it's probably just an act, except for the fact that they've been around since at least the 80's when homophobia was the norm among heterosexuals and there was no reasonable expectation of WBC protesters getting attacked.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I was also wondering if you meant there was something special about Wilmington, DE and Camden, NJ that made the prospect of violence more likely.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I was also wondering if you meant there was something special about Wilmington, DE and Camden, NJ that made the prospect of violence more likely.
    Camden tops the list at #1. Wilmington comes in at #9.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nei...p100dangerous/

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Here's another link, at what happened in 2006 in Seaford, DE:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/05...y-funeral.html

One could reasonably call into question whether or not your typical street criminal in Wilmington is really going to give two shits about the WBC, and I'd say that that's a good question... though, at least my case, I'd have to say that I don't know. I only know of the WBC protesting either in podunk towns (like Seaford) or in the safer sections of big cities (like cemetaries in Washington, DC). It will be interesting to watch.

There are three counties in Delaware; I'm from the one in the middle (Kent). Seaford is in Sussex County, the southernmost county and the most rural. I can imagine that the same types that attacked them in Seaford will probably be heading to Wilmington. What I can tell you is that the Biden family is WELL loved in Delaware, and even the most devout of conservatives in Delaware are mourning the loss. Oh, and Delawareans love their National Guard.

What's going on in Wilmington is going to be a much bigger deal than what happened in Seaford.

Would I put money on something going down in Wilmington? I wouldn't exactly bet my whole paycheck on, but I'd definitely bet something.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Camden tops the list at #1. Wilmington comes in at #9.

http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/nei...p100dangerous/
    Ok I understand, but I think the criminal element in Wilminton and Camden would be largely apathetic about the WBC protest from a political or moral standpoint.

If the WBC is dumb enough to book a cheap hotel room in Wilmington and then go wandering around the night before the protest sightseeing, then they might have to worry about getting mugged.

A couple of years ago, a MITRE Corp contractor had a stroke or became disoriented because of his medications and wandered off into the streets of Wilmington.

He was beaten to death and his body was dumped into a dumpster in Newark, DE. The police never solved his murder, and the conspiracy theorists went nuts over the story because of where he used to work at.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_P._Wheeler_III

I suspect that he got beaten down by street criminals and the nearest drug crew didn't want heat on their corner so they took his body to a Newark dumpster.

It was a fascinating story.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Ok I understand, but I think the criminal element in Wilminton and Camden would be largely apathetic about the WBC protest from a political or moral standpoint.
    Right, I pointed that out in a previous post (I'm guessing that you started typing this one before I posted it). Like I said, I don't know of any cities similar to Wilmington that the WBC has ever protested in; so this is terra incognita.

But, like I also pointed out; it may not be the people from Wilmington that they have to worry about.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Here's another link, at what happened in 2006 in Seaford, DE:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/05...y-funeral.html

One could reasonably call into question whether or not your typical street criminal in Wilmington is really going to give two shits about the WBC, and I'd say that that's a good question... though, at least my case, I'd have to say that I don't know. I only know of the WBC protesting either in podunk towns (like Seaford) or in the safer sections of big cities (like cemetaries in Washington, DC). It will be interesting to watch.

There are three counties in Delaware; I'm from the one in the middle (Kent). Seaford is in Sussex County, the southernmost county and the most rural. I can imagine that the same types that attacked them in Seaford will probably be heading to Wilmington. What I can tell you is that the Biden family is WELL loved in Delaware, and even the most devout of conservatives in Delaware are mourning the loss. Oh, and Delawareans love their National Guard.

What's going on in Wilmington is going to be a much bigger deal than what happened in Seaford.

Would I put money on something going down in Wilmington? I wouldn't exactly bet my whole paycheck on, but I'd definitely bet something.
    This makes a lot more sense. BTW, I'm very familiar with Seaford and Bridgeville, my ex-wife's sisters lived there.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm from about 45 minutes from Wilmington, but with each side of the Canal being pretty well self-contained, I've never "had" to go to Wilmington for anything.

That being said, if there are any "good" parts of Wilmingon; I'm not aware of them. Every part of the city I've been to is a real shit hole.