Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypenated Americans.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Hypenated Americans.

I just got done watching UFC Fight night Brazil, and noted that there are quite a few different Ethnicity in Brazil, but not ONE considered themselves Hyphenated Brazilians, like they seem to do here in the US. In the few fights in Mexico, as well as those elsewhere (such as in Japan/Korea etc) i also notice it is rare (other than for US Expats) to refer to oneself as a hyphenated anything in regards to your Ethnicity.

SO what is it about Americans that make them want to identify as XYZ-American, vice just Americans, when i don't see anyone else doing that.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I just got done watching UFC Fight night Brazil, and noted that there are quite a few different Ethnicity in Brazil, but not ONE considered themselves Hyphenated Brazilians, like they seem to do here in the US. In the few fights in Mexico, as well as those elsewhere (such as in Japan/Korea etc) i also notice it is rare (other than for US Expats) to refer to oneself as a hyphenated anything in regards to your Ethnicity.

SO what is it about Americans that make them want to identify as XYZ-American, vice just Americans, when i don't see anyone else doing that.
    The reason people in the U.S do it is because they figure it's the best way to distinguish themselves from being white. You don't really run into those problems in other countries because they are generally all the same color/race. Also, in the countries you mention, the population is non-white so there's not as much of a need for people to separate themselves. Notice that the large majority of the ones in the U.S who hyphenate are non-whites. Nobody wants to be identified with evil whitey.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    What, you mean no one in the US says "Irish-American" or "German-American" or anything of the sort? I'm pretty sure the next thing either of you will say will be a desire to get rid of those things as well, but it all shows one thing: a desire for everyone to be like WASPs.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 05-31-2015 at 12:51 PM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I apologize in advance if I have you confused with a different poster but aren't you firmly in the group of people that says, "if you want to come to America learn English?" The reason I ask is because just about all of the countries you mentioned are very accommodating to English speaking tourists (and probably immigrants). I've been to a few different countries and it seems to be accepted that English is the "business language" even if it isn't the merchant language.

So, even though the people in the countries you mentioned are not African-Brazilian it also doesn't seem like anyone would care if they wanted to keep a piece of their heritage. To me that seems to be what it is about here in America. The mainstream wants people to assimilate to the "American" way of life and these group are fighting back to keep their culture.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    So, even though the people in the countries you mentioned are not African-Brazilian it also doesn't seem like anyone would care if they wanted to keep a piece of their heritage. To me that seems to be what it is about here in America. The mainstream wants people to assimilate to the "American" way of life and these group are fighting back to keep their culture.
    That's what it seems like to me. A form of xenophobia. If we can't kick them out or keep more from coming, let's at least force them to be like us.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    That's what it seems like to me. A form of xenophobia. If we can't kick them out or keep more from coming, let's at least force them to be like us.
    Watch out Rusty! I predict that someone is about to hit you over the head with that poem about hyphenated Americans that John Wayne wrote.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Dude, you really need to chill out.

You can't watch an exciting sporting event like UFC without getting upset over someone using a hyphen?

Why not try using a hyphen of your own?

You could create the garkhal-sandsjames white people are being victimized club.

Naw, that's a bit too long, you need something shorter.

Garkhal-Sandsjames White Victim Club.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Dude, you really need to chill out.

You can't watch an exciting sporting event like UFC without getting upset over someone using a hyphen?

Why not try using a hyphen of your own?

You could create the garkhal-sandsjames white people are being victimized club.

Naw, that's a bit too long, you need something shorter.

Garkhal-Sandsjames White Victim Club.
    American problems. People in other parts of the world are living on a dollar a day, or live in fear of some group plotting to overthrow the goverment raiding their village and taking their daughters, or in fear of getting their heads cut off... while we're getting pissed off at having to press 1 for English or at hyphenated Americans.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    What, you mean no one in the US says "Irish-American" or "German-American" or anything of the sort?
    Not when they check a box on a census or survey.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    American problems. People in other parts of the world are living on a dollar a day, or live in fear of some group plotting to overthrow the goverment raiding their village and taking their daughters, or in fear of getting their heads cut off... while we're getting pissed off at having to press 1 for English or at hyphenated Americans.
    You're exactly right. Just remember that next time you bitch about minimum wage being too low. People in other countries are living on much less so our poor need to quit their bitching. Right?