Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Hypenated Americans.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    I just got done watching UFC Fight night Brazil, and noted that there are quite a few different Ethnicity in Brazil, but not ONE considered themselves Hyphenated Brazilians, like they seem to do here in the US. In the few fights in Mexico, as well as those elsewhere (such as in Japan/Korea etc) i also notice it is rare (other than for US Expats) to refer to oneself as a hyphenated anything in regards to your Ethnicity.

SO what is it about Americans that make them want to identify as XYZ-American, vice just Americans, when i don't see anyone else doing that.
    most of us are somewhat proud of where our family came from, or ran away from as the case may be/ I don't use hyphens becasue after the first two it becomes really silly. People like having the sense of ancestry and with Americans, except for a very small percentage of American Indians, than means a hyphen.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Not when they check a box on a census or survey.
    Be honest. That's not your complaint. The fact that the concept exists, whether on official government documents or not, is what bothers you.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    You're exactly right. Just remember that next time you bitch about minimum wage being too low. People in other countries are living on much less so our poor need to quit their bitching. Right?
    Right, because the fight for a living wage and getting pissed off at the concept of "hyphenated Americans" are comparable. Yeah, okay...
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 05-31-2015 at 06:21 PM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    From Wikipedia:

Cartoon from Puck, August 9, 1899. Uncle Sam sees hyphenated voters and asks, "Why should I let these freaks cast whole ballots when they are only half Americans?"

In the United States, the term hyphenated American is an epithet commonly used from 1890 to 1920 to disparage Americans who were of foreign birth or origin, and who displayed an allegiance to a foreign country. It was most commonly used to disparage German Americans or Irish Americans (Catholics) who called for U.S. neutrality in World War I. Former President Theodore Roosevelt was an outspoken anti-hyphenate and Woodrow Wilson followed suit.[1]
    Looks like this wiki article needs to be updated to include the scandalous use of hyphens by UFC fighters.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Right, because the fight for a living wage and getting pissed off at the concept of "hyphenated Americans" are comparable. Yeah, okay...
    You're the one who made the comparison to $1 a day. Pretty ridiculous when someone else makes an irrelevant comparison, isn't it?
    Last edited by sandsjames; 05-31-2015 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I just got done watching UFC Fight night Brazil, and noted that there are quite a few different Ethnicity in Brazil, but not ONE considered themselves Hyphenated Brazilians, like they seem to do here in the US. In the few fights in Mexico, as well as those elsewhere (such as in Japan/Korea etc) i also notice it is rare (other than for US Expats) to refer to oneself as a hyphenated anything in regards to your Ethnicity.

SO what is it about Americans that make them want to identify as XYZ-American, vice just Americans, when i don't see anyone else doing that.
    Because America is the best...if you love Brazil so much, go move there
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I contrasted it with your petty complaints about hyphenated Americans.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    What, you mean no one in the US says "Irish-American" or "German-American" or anything of the sort? I'm pretty sure the next thing either of you will say will be a desire to get rid of those things as well, but it all shows one thing: a desire for everyone to be like WASPs.
    No. Its that i am wondering why it is you don't see this happening elsewhere. As it just seems an American made issue. WHY is that?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    No. Its that i am wondering why it is you don't see this happening elsewhere. As it just seems an American made issue. WHY is that?
    Scholarships

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    In your initial post you rattled off several countries; Japan, South Korea, and Mexico.

With the exception of Mexico, those countries don't have immigrants like we have.

Sure, they have foreigners living and working there, but they are forever foreigners.

In Japan they will call you gaijin, even if you get a Japanese passport and become a citizen.

Different histories, different economics, different immigration laws, different attitudes.

Some of this is better, some of it worse.

In Mexico, I have no idea if people self identify as Guatemalan-Mexican. I doubt it, they are probably called Guatemalans regardless of their immigration status.

In this country when you meet someone with a surname that you are unsure of the origin, it is common to ask about their origin.

What is the big deal?

I'm glad we have a bunch of Peruvians living around Baltimore. They open up these great restaurants where I can buy awesome Peruvian style chicken.

I love Vietnamese noodle shops, and Nepalese curry.

What the hell would you have them do? Open hotdog and hamburger stands?

I have a Korean-American girlfriend, and I no desire for her tell people she is American. As a matter of fact, when people ask if she is Chinese, she just replies, "No, I'm Korean." But she is an American.

Get over it, this hyphen business isn't the big deal you are making it out to be.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 05-31-2015 at 10:29 PM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...