Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Changes Coming to Mil-to-Mil BAH?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Officers get better quarters and rations than you, TSgt!
    Officers have always been paid less in BAS(rations).

http://militarybenefits.info/2015-ba...istence-rates/

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Actually, as an O4 I get less for food than an E4.
    I was talking more about the enlisted side but you are absolutely right...so do they expect you to eat worse than an E2? Nope...they expect you to make it up with the extra pay.

I am happy with the basic pay scale and the overall compensation package. What I am saying is if we were level BAH across all ranks I would hope that basic pay would be slightly altered.
    I don't understand your reasoning on this. You get paid a lot more money...if you want the bigger house, the nicer neighborhood, then it should come out of pocket. Orrrrr....make basic pay the same for everyone and give more allowances for everyone. Not sure why it needs to be both.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I don't understand your reasoning on this. You get paid a lot more money...if you want the bigger house, the nicer neighborhood, then it should come out of pocket. Orrrrr....make basic pay the same for everyone and give more allowances for everyone. Not sure why it needs to be both.
    Because it is an overall compensation package, entitlements & allowances offset the basic pay scale.

As I said, I think folks should be fairly compensated, be able to afford suitable housing for themselves etc. I also think some things are commensurate with rank.

Yes, I make more base pay than an E4 ... if our base pay was the same I would expect my allowances would reflect my:

-years of experience
    -years of service
    -level of responsibility

If BAH was the same I would like to see an update to the base pay across all ranks to account for those things with regard to housing (as a part of that same overall package.)

As it is, the DoD takes a mixed approach (higher base pay and different housing allowances. As I said, I am kind of indifferent in HOW they do it, but detect some officer / enlisted hate which is bound to happen when discussing pay & allowances.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 05-29-2015 at 05:32 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Always thought that the reasoning for officers getting less BAS is because all officers always draw it - whether married, single, in the barracks, off base, or even deployed - and always have to pay for their meals. Even when deployed. Whereas, enlisted who are provided ration-in-kind don't need the money. Burawski is probably the man to clarify this. As a PS, I rarely dabbled in officer stuff, but that's Burawski's specialty as a YN.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Officers have always been paid less in BAS(rations).

http://militarybenefits.info/2015-ba...istence-rates/
    Shhh!

Don't spoil my fun with a bunch of pesky facts.

I'm trying to conjure up images in SJ's mind of old war movies where the officers are gathered in the officer's mess having gormet meals of terrapin and pheasant.

Not to mention an after dinner snifter of brandy and big old cigar.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Because it is an overall compensation package, entitlements & allowances offset the basic pay scale.

As I said, I think folks should be fairly compensated, be able to afford suitable housing for themselves etc. I also think some things are commensurate with rank.

Yes, I make more base pay than an E4 ... if our base pay was the same I would expect my allowances would reflect my:

-years of experience
    -years of service
    -level of responsibility

As it is, the DoD takes a mixed approach (higher base pay and different housing allowances. As I said, I am kind of indifferent in HOW they do it, but detect some officer / enlisted hate which is bound to happen when discussing pay & allowances.
    Dude, I'm not even talking officer/enlisted. I was talking specifically about enlisted, but it carries over to Os and Es.

What I do notice, however, is that it's easy to see why we do have difficulty saving any noticeable amount of money in the military. It's because it's the highest paid people who are making the decisions about where the money gets cut.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dude, I'm not even talking officer/enlisted. I was talking specifically about enlisted, but it carries over to Os and Es.
    K, keeping it just with E's, I think the Battalion SgtMaj with 20+ years of experience, who is in charge of 1,800-2,000 people should be compensated with a larger overall compensation package than the E4 who is in charge of 3-5 people.

What I do notice, however, is that it's easy to see why we do have difficulty saving any noticeable amount of money in the military. It's because it's the highest paid people who are making the decisions about where the money gets cut.
    On that, any "noticeable amount" of savings isn't going to be made by adjusting BAH, whether for an O10 or an E1 ...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    K, keeping it just with E's, I think the Battalion SgtMaj with 20+ years of experience, who is in charge of 1,800-2,000 people should be compensated with a larger overall compensation package than the E4 who is in charge of 3-5 people.
    He is compensated much, MUCH better than an E4...without the housing. Shall we add up their retirement, their basic pay, the amount of medical care they've received? Should I post a pay scale?

On that, any "noticeable amount" of savings isn't going to be made by adjusting BAH, whether for an O10 or an E1 ...
    Of course not...so why bother? Glad to see you're a firm supporter of the 1%ers, as long as you're part of that group.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He is compensated much, MUCH better than an E4...without the housing. Shall we add up their retirement, their basic pay, the amount of medical care they've received? Should I post a pay scale?
    K, I don't know a better way to say it ... an overall compensation package that includes pay, housing etc.

I don't think the E9 get's better medical care, probably has gotten more of it since he has been in longer.

Of course not...so why bother? Glad to see you're a firm supporter of the 1%ers, as long as you're part of that group.
    Or is this more about that you retired as an E6?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    O4 over 12 makes approximately $7k a month. E4@6 years makes $2400/month. That's around $50k a year...definitely not compensated any better through basic pay.