Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes Coming to Mil-to-Mil BAH?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    As a (I'm assuming) pro-Hillary kind of guy, you should be staunchly opposed to this measure since it hurts pay equality between men and women. Think about it, most mil-to-mil marriages involve a younger, lower ranking female married to an older, higher ranking man. For EQUALITY's sake, is it really fair to pay women LESS as a result of losing their BAH to the higher ranking, male spouse?
    The only way to make it "fair" is for the government to stay out of the marriage business and pay everyone as individuals.

They aren't going to take money away from 2 of the 3 single guys sharing an apartment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Housing allowance should be rated for the average cost of living in the area...if you want to go above average than it's out of pocket...the military is providing you plenty to live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood...anything above and beyond should be on you.

Do you also think you should get more money for food because you've earned the right to real shrimp instead of imitation shrimp?
    I think folks should have suitable housing. I think the guy with 15, 20, 25 or so years experience & in charge of 2,000 people should be able to afford to live in a nicer house than a 19 year old who is in charge of no one. The guy in the nice house didn't get that house as soon as he joined the organization.

How our employer (the government) wants to figure out how to facilitate that is really up to them. Right now they use the way the law is written to provide more allowance for housing for the more senior guy as part of the overall compensation package.

I would be in favor of your proposal if Basic Pay was altered, but that won't happen because it would increase the mandatory spending required to support the DoD pension fund.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The only way to make it "fair" is for the government to stay out of the marriage business and pay everyone as individuals.

They aren't going to take money away from 2 of the 3 single guys sharing an apartment.
    Actually, that is part of the proposal, if the 2 or 3 single guys are DoD anyway.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Actually, that is part of the proposal, if the 2 or 3 single guys are DoD anyway.
    It sounds like they want to go back to the old BAQ/VHA. No money left over to cover utilities.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Housing allowance should be rated for the average cost of living in the area...if you want to go above average than it's out of pocket...the military is providing you plenty to live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood...anything above and beyond should be on you.

Do you also think you should get more money for food because you've earned the right to real shrimp instead of imitation shrimp?
    Officers get better quarters and rations than you, TSgt!

Stop all that insubordinate commie talk about equality, ASAP! I'd like nothing better than a chance to bust your ass down to A1C and ship you off to the Aleutian Island to scrub latrines.

Permanent Latrine Orderly (PLO) would be your duty title, and you could use your rustic wit to rig up a foot pedal to make the latrine seats raise when an officer comes to inspect.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I think folks should have suitable housing. I think the guy with 15, 20, 25 or so years experience & in charge of 2,000 people should be able to afford to live in a nicer house than a 19 year old who is in charge of no one. The guy in the nice house didn't get that house as soon as he joined the organization.
    He does have the opportunity. He gets paid a lot more than the E4. So what about the food? Should you get more than an E4 for food?

I would be in favor of your proposal if Basic Pay was altered, but that won't happen because it would increase the mandatory spending required to support the DoD pension fund.
    So you aren't happy with the basic pay scale as far as the difference between ranks goes?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    That's a stupid proposal. I don't have an intelligent argument for it...just that it's stupid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He does have the opportunity. He gets paid a lot more than the E4. So what about the food? Should you get more than an E4 for food?
    Actually, as an O4 I get less for food than an E4.

So you aren't happy with the basic pay scale as far as the difference between ranks goes?
    I am happy with the basic pay scale and the overall compensation package. What I am saying is if we were level BAH across all ranks I would hope that basic pay would be slightly altered.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I see what you're saying but, it's like I said before, it's a pay difference that's thrown onto the BAH instead of the base pay, in order to keep retired pay low.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    That's a stupid proposal. I don't have an intelligent argument for it...just that it's stupid.
    Concur ...