Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USNS Mercy Allides with the USS Arizona Memorial

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

USNS Mercy Allides with the USS Arizona Memorial

Honolulu Star Advertiser: 20150527_Tug_boat_damages_Arizona_Memorial_dock_af fecting_tours.html

Military.com: http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...=todayinmil.sm

from a friend of mine: I just got done leading the Navy chunk of the formation for the ADM Locklear/ADM Harris/ADM Swift CoC/retirement dance. Mercy got underway just before the ceremony took place and we definitely had that "huh, she's awfully close to Ford Island" conversation. Couldn't see anything of worth because she was in-between us and the memorial, but that stern tug most certainly had the throttles to the stops. Seems like they stopped the tour ferries immediately following as well, as two of them were doing donuts for a while prior to heading back to the shore.

Nothing like a possible allision with a national memorial that occurs within sight of the CNO, SecDef, PACFLT, PACOM, House and Senate leaders, and any number of 1-3 star FOGOs a few hundred yards away.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Is "allides" a Navy term? Is it different than "collides"? Hell, it even shows up incorrect in the spell checker. I know you guys like to be different than the rest of us...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Is "allides" a Navy term? Is it different than "collides"? Hell, it even shows up incorrect in the spell checker. I know you guys like to be different than the rest of us...
    If both objects are moving or under propulsion, it is a collision ... an allision is when only one of them is moving.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    If both objects are moving or under propulsion, it is a collision ... an allision is when only one of them is moving.
    So why doesn't my spell checker show it as a word? I think it's just some made up squid term that came about when one ships Captain didn't want blamed for being involved in a "collision". "No, Sir, it's not my fault...I was just sitting there, he ran in to me...if you write it up as an 'allision' that'll make it clear that I was doing what I was supposed to do."

Next thing you know you'll be calling the bathroom a head...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So why doesn't my spell checker show it as a word? I think it's just some made up squid term that came about when one ships Captain didn't want blamed for being involved in a "collision". "No, Sir, it's not my fault...I was just sitting there, he ran in to me...if you write it up as an 'allision' that'll make it clear that I was doing what I was supposed to do."

Don't know ... if I google it, the very first link to it is from Webster's dictionary.

The term 'head' I get how it came about, now ... we call a water fountain a 'scuttlebutt' since that is where folks would gather and spread gossip a.k.a. scuttlebutt ... but why scuttlebutt was used for gossip, no idea.

Also, there is a difference between a bulkhead and a wall (watertight integrity), and a door and a hatch (again, watertight integrity), or the deck and a floor. But yeah ... we have a lot of unique terminology.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Don't know ... if I google it, the very first link to it is from Webster's dictionary.

The term 'head' I get how it came about, now ... we call a water fountain a 'scuttlebutt' since that is where folks would gather and spread gossip a.k.a. scuttlebutt ... but why scuttlebutt was used for gossip, no idea.

Also, there is a difference between a bulkhead and a wall (watertight integrity), and a door and a hatch (again, watertight integrity), or the deck and a floor. But yeah ... we have a lot of unique terminology.
    Hmmmm...you guys are strange...

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hmmmm...you guys are strange...
    I learned something today. I first thought it was an error and Mjolnir was making a joke. Leave it to the Navy to add to it's different vocabulary.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I learned something today. I first thought it was an error and Mjolnir was making a joke. Leave it to the Navy to add to it's different vocabulary.
    Yeah, that's the first time I've ever heard that word. It's fun giving him a hard time anyway.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I thought he meant allusion. I was like, "the hell is he alluding to? The crash?"
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollyn01 View Post
    I thought he meant allusion. I was like, "the hell is he alluding to? The crash?"
    or maybe ... illusion