Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: God told me to do it

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

God told me to do it

When a person commits a horrendous crime and then claims that God or even Satan made them do it they are not believed by the legal system, or the general public.

Why?

Because, deep down most everyone knows this God business isn't true.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    When a person commits a horrendous crime and then claims that God or even Satan made them do it they are not believed by the legal system, or the general public.

Why?

Because, deep down most everyone knows this God business isn't true.
    Do you have anything new?

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Do you have anything new?
    Doesn't matter if it is new or not.

When someone claims that God talks to them they are not believed.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Doesn't matter if it is new or not.

When someone claims that God talks to them they are not believed.
    When someone's entire purpose on an internet forum is to make lame comments about one topic they become irrelevant.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    When someone's entire purpose on an internet forum is to make lame comments about one topic they become irrelevant.
    Not really surprised you are trying to make this about me, since you know what I am saying is true.

People believe in God for psychological reasons, it comforts them or they were indoctrinated to believe in the supernatural.

In contemporary American society, the "God told me to do it" defense isn't believed, even by God fearing adherents.

You know that if you were a jury member and the defendant claimed that God told them to kill their children, you wouldn't believe them.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Not really surprised you are trying to make this about me, since you know what I am saying is true.

People believe in God for psychological reasons, it comforts them or they were indoctrinated to believe in the supernatural.

In contemporary American society, the "God told me to do it" defense isn't believed, even by God fearing adherents.

You know that if you were a jury member and the defendant claimed that God told them to kill their children, you wouldn't believe them.
    It's simple. The majority of Christians believe in free will so the "devil made me do it" and "God made me do it" just aren't plausible.

That's the reason it's not believed. Everything else is arbitrary. Now have fun, cuz I'm done discussing religion with you. Your attempts are getting poorer the longer we go.

If you want to discuss other stuff, that's great. If you want to discuss religion, find someone else. If you want to take that as a win then, fine, you win. I don't have the desire to continue with this pointless "round 'n' round" with you anymore than I have the desire to answer the three year old who asks "why" over and over.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    It's simple. The majority of Christians believe in free will so the "devil made me do it" and "God made me do it" just aren't plausible.

That's the reason it's not believed. Everything else is arbitrary. Now have fun, cuz I'm done discussing religion with you. Your attempts are getting poorer the longer we go.

If you want to discuss other stuff, that's great. If you want to discuss religion, find someone else. If you want to take that as a win then, fine, you win. I don't have the desire to continue with this pointless "round 'n' round" with you anymore than I have the desire to answer the three year old who asks "why" over and over.
    The Christian bible is full of stories of God commanding people to do things, so the reason it isn't plausible has nothing to do with free will.

It isn't plausible is because people know that God is silent and not an active force in our world.

If you don't want to discuss religion with me, then don't. No need to be pouty and petulant about it.

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Penn Jillette made the following observation:

God told Abraham to kill his son, and his proof of Abraham’s devotion was his willingness to kill his son. Jesus says very clearly, “abandon your father and mother, abandon your children and come with me.” There’s nothing pro-family about Christianity. That is all layered on. That is all-American. The American Christian church has a great deal of family values, but those aren’t found in the Bible, those aren’t in the root material.
    I find this point interesting because it speaks to how believers are constantly overlooking what is in the bible.

If one studies the bible, it is very easy to see that God has inferior morals compared to the average modern day person.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not surprised you find this interesting. You love to cherry pick from the bible and think you have a great understanding of the bible. You don't look at the context and supporting scriptures.

Additionally, you don't want to talk religion. You want to bash. You aren't looking for answers or trying to find any faith. You've made up your mind and you're not looking for an honest "open" discussion.

I'm more a lurker than a real contributor, but every now and then I find you have a good point or two, but mostly you just want to argue back and forth with no real intent or desire to find compromise or gain understanding from anyone else's perspective.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The main reason Christians don't accept the "God told me to do it" line is, among other things, that they believe in free will. Now, as you've stated God has countless times instructed someone to do something. However, if you look at those incidences all of them involve God speaking to his chosen representative on the Earth (the Prophet).

Today most Christians are of the belief that God has said all he needs to say and that he no longer has a prophet on the Earth. As such they can't accept that God is speaking to someone. For those who do believe that God still speaks to man, then they know who that representative is and I'm willing to bet that the person claiming "God told me to do it" isn't the representative.

In my personal opinion and from my own experiences I find that people want to believe their own way and interpret scripture their own way and when something doesn't jive with what they want then they discount that "part" of the teachings. The problem is with most of us (humans) is that we see things and think we are so smart and when something (like God) doesn't fit into the mold that we think he should be in (he should be like this because that's what I think God should be like) then we discount him as naught because he doesn't fit our view. The problem is that we are supposed to be learning to think and become like God in order to return to him. Most of us don't want to change our lives to fit the mold that God has outlined because we think we know better than Him what life is supposed to be like.