Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: God told me to do it

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Twain is hardly read in the public schools any more because even though he's brilliant he's not Politically correct enough for the leftist ideologues (and their lawyers) who have hijacked our republic.
    Explain this a little more, because Twain has long been considered controversial. His books were being banned and criticized for being too vulgar in the 1880s.

I call Twain the "Pioneer of Satire" and I think his brand of irreverence and questioning of long held ideas frightens many on both sides of the political spectrum.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Explain this a little more, because Twain has long been considered controversial. His books were being banned and criticized for being too vulgar in the 1880s.

I call Twain the "Pioneer of Satire" and I think his brand of irreverence and questioning of long held ideas frightens many on both sides of the political spectrum.
    Mostly talking about Huck Fin which used to be required reading on almost every school list. But,now is increasingly being taken out of the schools or censored because the language (the unspeakable word) makes certain people uncomfortable. The irony is that Twain defended blacks, jews and indians in his day and now he's being kicked to the curb by the PC Red brigade and you know who. tonight Rainmaker going to mix up some pink champiple and travel in my hot tub to September 11, 2027 the date that the G-d has told me in a dream was the next major crisis. I predict this will come full circle with a nasty backlash against the Marxists. I'll report back how it turns out as soon as able.

Senior Member Absinthe Anecdote's Avatar
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    I wanted to respond to this earlier but didn't have time. Here is a recap of our conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Absinthe Anecdote View Post
    Here is another big problem with your understanding of the Old Testament and the New Testament.

It is a problem that is largely reconciled by knowledgeable Christians by claiming that Jesus represents a new covenant between God and man.

You are mixing New Testament ideas with Old Testament ones.

The ancient Hebrews weren't focused on the afterlife as modern Christian are. There was no distinction between the unjust and just after death. They didn't believe in Heaven as you do, Heaven is a Christian idea.

Certain sects of early Judaism believed that there was nothing after life on earth, your life just ended and that was it. Other sects believed in reincarnation to a certain degree, but it was nothing like the Christian concept of Heaven.

For the ancient Hebrews punishments were meted out in the present life according to a series promises made between man and God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matai View Post
    I disagree. You're viewing the Old Testament and New Testament as if they're exclusive of each other. Comments made in the New Testament by the Scribes and Pharisees, in trying to trap Jesus in his comments, evidence that they believed in and thought about life after death. See the comments about who get's the wife in the seven brothers who had no seed. They also claim lineage through Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. There are several comments about him (Abraham) being in Heaven with God.

While commentary in the Old Testament doesn't go into great depth on the "life after death" part of their beliefs, to not include them at all is disingenuous.
    You just gave me New Testament references to refute my statement that the Ancient Hebrews held a very different view of the afterlife than Christians.

The passages you are referencing are in Matthew 22 and Mark 12. Since they were written by Christians, they aren't an authoritative source for the belief system of Judaism, past or present.

As far as being disingenuous, go back and read how I characterized what the ancient Jews believed about the afterlife.

Noticed how I mentioned that certain sects believed nothing happened after death, while others believed in resurrection to a certain extent.

There is evidence of this belief in some form of resurrection in the Old Testament. Since you appear to be a lazy Christian, let me help you out.

Here is a list of references in the OT that indicate some ancient Jews believed in some form of afterlife or resurrection:

Job 14:7-15; 19:26; Psa. 16:9-11; 49:14-15; 73:23-26 Isa. 25:8; 53:12, Isa. 26:19; Dan. 12:2, 13; Hos. 13:14

I hope you go read them, but I suspect you won't. If you do, you will find that the references to resurrection are primarily to prophets.

You will not find much about heaven in the Old Testament. The concept of heaven in the New Testament is very much a Christian idea, and not one of ancient Judaism.

If you want, I can point you to some readings from Christian scholars that will help you understand how OT laws were fulfilled by Jesus, thus making heaven possible.

I can even point you to some Christian readings that will help you justify God's repeated use of genocide in the OT, much better than your explanation of, "He had a good reason, that I don't understand." If you want to read it, just ask.

This mean old atheist, actually wants you to read your bible and attain greater knowledge of your religion. I want you to seek it from Christian sources and Christian scholars.

However, the difference between me and your average pastor is that I will encourage you to use your critical thinking skills.
    Last edited by Absinthe Anecdote; 06-05-2015 at 04:05 PM.
    All behold that fancy strutting peacock, the bake sale diva...