Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Duggar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Josh Duggar

Okay... we all know what he did, but... what's up with all of the support he's getting from well known people on the religious right, Mike Huckabee probably being the most notable?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Maybe cause they feel that demonizing him and his entire family for acts he MAY have done in the past, without him actually getting arrested/charged and convicted is wrong.

Compare that to Saida Grundy, the black professor at Boston Uni, who is in the news YET again..
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...nline-in-2007/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ed-of-tauntin/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-woman-ex.html

At least Josh was a TEEN when he supposedly did wrong. Ms Grundy was in her 20s when she did her wrong.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Maybe cause they feel that demonizing him and his entire family for acts he MAY have done in the past, without him actually getting arrested/charged and convicted is wrong.

Compare that to Saida Grundy, the black professor at Boston Uni, who is in the news YET again..
    http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...nline-in-2007/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ed-of-tauntin/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-woman-ex.html

At least Josh was a TEEN when he supposedly did wrong. Ms Grundy was in her 20s when she did her wrong.
    Oh, shit... I really didn't believe that the general conservative population supported Duggar. I really didn't. I didn't want to believe that. But is that the case?

Okay, so Grundy commits identity theft. Okay, so what? If someone makes a post about a particular person committing a crime, is the counter argument to make a post mentioning someone of another race that committed a crime? An unrelated, lesser crime at that?

Here's the deal... the people supporting Duggar actually believe that he did it. Huckabee even said something to the effect of good people doing bad things. Like, seriously, we're supposed to overlook someone in his line of work molesting children?

Get the fuck outta here!

Update: he admitted to doing it yesterday.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 05-23-2015 at 09:44 PM.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Oh, shit... I really didn't believe that the general conservative population supported Duggar. I really didn't. I didn't want to believe that. But is that the case?

Okay, so Grundy commits identity theft. Okay, so what? If someone makes a post about a particular person committing a crime, is the counter argument to make a post mentioning someone of another race that committed a crime? An unrelated, lesser crime at that?

Here's the deal... the people supporting Duggar actually believe that he did it. Huckabee even said something to the effect of good people doing bad things. Like, seriously, we're supposed to overlook someone in his line of work molesting children?

Get the fuck outta here!

Update: he admitted to doing it yesterday.
    What i was trying to get at is what Ms Grundy did WAS actually proven and she paid for it, where as Josh was just acused, not found guilty. So why was one person's potential crime ruining not just HIS life/career, but his family, while someone eles's which was proven not ruining hers?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    What i was trying to get at is what Ms Grundy did WAS actually proven and she paid for it, where as Josh was just acused, not found guilty. So why was one person's potential crime ruining not just HIS life/career, but his family, while someone eles's which was proven not ruining hers?
    The only reason his case didn't go to court is because it was beyond the statute of limitations. The legal aspect of this is irrelevant anyway. The point is, he molested his sisters and even admitted to it. Yet, he has the support of the religious right.

What's the difference? Grundy is not a child molester. Furthermore, she doesn't have people (at least not any names that anyone has heard of) coming in droves to support her. Hell, I've never even heard of her myself until you posted those links.
    Last edited by Rusty Jones; 05-24-2015 at 12:48 PM.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The only reason his case didn't go to court is because it was beyond the statute of limitations. The legal aspect of this is irrelevant anyway. The point is, he molested his sisters and even admitted to it. Yet, he has the support of the religious right.

What's the difference? Grundy is not a child molester. Furthermore, she doesn't have people (at least not any names that anyone has heard of) coming in droves to support her. Hell, I've never even heard of her myself until you posted those links.
    I'd never heard of this guy 'til you mentioned it.

The Christian right are going to defend him for the same reason that many, many people supported, defended, and made excuses for Michael Jackson. It's because they want to believe that someone they idolized could never do something like this and if they did it then there must be some outside factor that caused it.

My wife, to this day, gets pissed off when someone makes a Michael Jackson joke. It's ridiculous but it's what people do when they put their blinders on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The Christian right are going to defend him for the same reason that many, many people supported, defended, and made excuses for Michael Jackson. It's because they want to believe that someone they idolized could never do something like this and if they did it then there must be some outside factor that caused it.
    You could say this just about anytime that someone is involved in a scandal, whether a political figure, religious leader, entertainer etc. If someone admires or 'likes' the person involved they often are dismissive of and/or make excuses for their activity -- activity that they otherwise would condemn if done by someone they do not hold favorably.

Nothing new going on, just a lot of people using this Duggar guy and the situation (never watched the show and only heard of them in passing) as a reason to bash what the other 20 or so people in the family represent or their side of the socio-political spectrum.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

My wife, to this day, gets pissed off when someone makes a Michael Jackson joke. It's ridiculous but it's what people do when they put their blinders on.
    Well, the big difference is that Michael Jackson fans believe that he didn't do it. He never admitted it, and he never got convicted. I'm not saying what I believe happened in the case of Michael Jackson; but the huge difference is that Duggar admitted to it, so his supporters know that he did it.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

That is true. Just like the left seems to never sour on Hillary, no matter what she does, there are those on the right (and left), who will never sour on certain stars.. No matter what they do.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Well, the big difference is that Michael Jackson fans believe that he didn't do it. He never admitted it, and he never got convicted. I'm not saying what I believe happened in the case of Michael Jackson; but the huge difference is that Duggar admitted to it, so his supporters know that he did it.
    But they're the same thing. If Jackson would have admitted it, his supporters would have blamed it on his upbringing. I heard several people use that excuse..."he never got to be a child"..."he had a tough upbringing...IF he did it, it's not his fault". Don't pretend you didn't hear those same sentiments.

Either way, I don't care...This Duggar guy (not sure why he's famous) did what he did and, apparently, it's an excuse for the liberals to use their version of the "double standard" argument usually reserved for conservatives defending Christianity. Different case, same ol' story.

Everybody has a double standard, whether they admit it or not. There's always a way to justify something one likes and vilify something one dislikes, even in similar situations. The left does it, the right does it, you do it, I do it, EVERYBODY does it. It's funny that people act surprised or make a big deal about it when it happens.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 05-24-2015 at 10:16 PM.