Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 67

Thread: Debates...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Bos Mutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,543
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

    Debates...

    The 2016 Presidential Race is on....

    The GOP learned nothing from 2012, sheduling 12 televised debates...up to as many as 16 candidates(?)

    I don't know why the party would do this to themselves...12 opportunities for candidates to say something stupid on national TV....Rick Perry, "I feel strong about 3 things...1, 2...and uh, what was that 3rd one again?"

    Primary debates killed them last time...something about when the GOP gets together amongst only themselves...they get into a race to the far right and forget that normal people don't cheer when someone shouts out "let those without insurance die!"...I think the 2012 debates pulled Romney further right than he really is and threw him off message for the general election, among other things.

    Probably gonna happen again...

    Also...I get that they have a lot of candidates as there is no clear frontrunner...but do they have to have all the candidates at every debate? I mean 16 candidates in 90 min? What are they doing to do, each give a 2 min canned answer to some pre-selected question? Or a few candidates dominate the debate while 12 of them stand there doing nothing...stupid.

    Why not draw straws or something and have maybe 4 at each debate...and they each get to attend 4 debates...no two are in the same debate more than twice...not gonna run the stats, but they could reasonably do that...it gives each candidate a greater chance to show what they're about...

    http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...le-114329.html

    The Dems have scheduled 6 debates...probably not nearly as many candidates...Hillary seems to be the pre-annointed nominee, but I'm hoping someone else emerges...Hillary has too much baggage.

    I enjoy watching debates when they are real debates...maybe we'll get that in the general...also gonna miss having Ron Paul there...he was always great in the debates.

    http://www.uspresidentialelectionnew...bate-schedule/
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 05-22-2015 at 04:29 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

  2. #2
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    The Tea Party has become the GOP's Achilles' Heel. No GOP candidate can with the nomination without courting the Tea Party. However, having courted the Tea Party pretty much guarantees a loss in November.

    The GOP is going to have to start moving in a direction that will shake off the Tea Party. Unfortunately, considering the fact that the GOP has a history of being taken over by various groups since the 1960's without being able to fight them off... that's not going to happen.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Columbus, ohio
    Posts
    3,325
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    I agree, having this # of debates is imo going to be counter productive for the GOP.

  4. #4
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The debates carry about as much weight with me as a reality show. There is nothing real or honest behind them. You won't get a straight answer from anyone on any topic. So, IMO, more is never the right way to do it.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    The Tea Party has become the GOP's Achilles' Heel. No GOP candidate can with the nomination without courting the Tea Party. However, having courted the Tea Party pretty much guarantees a loss in November.

    The GOP is going to have to start moving in a direction that will shake off the Tea Party. Unfortunately, considering the fact that the GOP has a history of being taken over by various groups since the 1960's without being able to fight them off... that's not going to happen.
    And the sad thing is, the Tea Party is the only group serious about restoring both our financial health and real liberties. They are the only group serious about upholding the constitution.

    I know laws like the Patriot Act make many people "feel" safe, but it's unconstitutional. I know keeping the status quo (borrow/spend) to continue growing entitlements makes many people warm and fuzzy, but it's not sustainable. Seems only the Tea Party recognizes this and only the Tea Party wants to fix it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    965
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    And the sad thing is, the Tea Party is the only group serious about restoring both our financial health and real liberties. They are the only group serious about upholding the constitution.

    I know laws like the Patriot Act make many people "feel" safe, but it's unconstitutional. I know keeping the status quo (borrow/spend) to continue growing entitlements makes many people warm and fuzzy, but it's not sustainable. Seems only the Tea Party recognizes this and only the Tea Party wants to fix it.
    The tea part is not the only people that want to fix those problems, it is the main group that wants to wreck everything while in a panic fix a relatively minor problem retreating to the Jim Crow 50s is not a fix for most of us.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    851
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeKerriii View Post
    The tea part is not the only people that want to fix those problems, it is the main group that wants to wreck everything while in a panic fix a relatively minor problem retreating to the Jim Crow 50s is not a fix for most of us.
    Ah...so if I support the Tea Party, then I'm a racist? THAT'S what the Tea Party stands for, segregation and racism?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    52
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd like to see Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren make a serious run. That would push Hillary into moon-bat land in order to keep up. That's the debate I want to see.

    Last I heard the GOP is only inviting the front runners to the first debates. I forget how many exactly. Probably 15 of the 16.

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    965
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Ah...so if I support the Tea Party, then I'm a racist? THAT'S what the Tea Party stands for, segregation and racism?
    You can be a tea party member without being a racist, if you pay little of r no attention wti how the tea part acts or who it supports, Ignorance is a plausible excuse. Who exactly are you trying to take back your country from other than mo women and minorities, and coincidentally a majority of the voters?

  10. #10
    Senior Member Rusty Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    3,936
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mata Leao View Post
    I'd like to see Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren make a serious run. That would push Hillary into moon-bat land in order to keep up. That's the debate I want to see.

    Last I heard the GOP is only inviting the front runners to the first debates. I forget how many exactly. Probably 15 of the 16.
    The sad thing is, I would like to think that the current crop of GOP candidates are sacrificial lambs; but if they perceive Obama to be unpopular - and as we know, perception is reality - 2016 is not the year for the GOP to be putting up sacrificial lambs. That means one of two things: 1. Either the GOP is putting up sacrificial lambs, possibly against their own better judgement; or 2. the GOP is actually serious about these candidates.

    The best thing that can happen to the GOP is that the Tea Party severs its ties with them - and takes the Southern Strategy with them. This would put the GOP in pretty sweet spot.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •