Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shamed on Facebook

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Shamed on Facebook

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/21/living...deo/index.html

I am really loving these videos of parents treating kids like they need to be treated. All the "experts" in the article need to STFU, IMNSHO. More stuff like this and kids might actually realize there are consequences for their actions.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'm really not big on this. Yes, you should punish your children when the situation warrants... but you punishing your children is not for other people's amusement.

The bigger issue here is the mindset that society has gone soft, so these parents who fancy themselves "old school" decide to make videos to show the rest of us sheeple "how it's done."

Then we get these videos. They've been around for awhile, but I think the real sheeple are the ones who praise these parents. I got that feeling about three years ago where the video of the father who shot up his daughter's laptop went viral. He didn't do that for his daughter. He did that to make himself look good in front of the world.

None of that is necessary. Discipline your children. But please understand that doing so does not make you special or worthy of praise... because you're doing what you're supposed to be doing.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    There is an element of these videos that they sometimes seem to be more about the parents proving their badassedness than actually doing it for the good of the child

I don't know if public humiliation is a good discipline technique...for some of these when the behavior being address is "posting underwear pictures on Instagram" or something, it might be an appropriate discipline, as it's related to the behavior.

I think you have to be very careful with this method on the female 13-18 population...so much of their perceived self-worth is caught up in their social circle acceptance, etc. It can be really devastating to girls of that age...at least in their minds.

When I first read the title of this thread though, I immediately thought of when people post pics (people of wal-mart) or other ways to poke fun of people....a practice which I find growing increasingly more and more distasteful,
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 05-21-2015 at 08:42 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    I'm really not big on this. Yes, you should punish your children when the situation warrants... but you punishing your children is not for other people's amusement.
    I agree its not 'cool' to do it just to get other people amused, but i DO feel a good public shaming sometimes works better than keeping it 'in house'.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The embarrassment I got from getting my ass whooped in the grocery store was much more of a deterrent than the actual punishment itself.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The embarrassment I got from getting my ass whooped in the grocery store was much more of a deterrent than the actual punishment itself.
    Huh? How old were you were you to be worried about "embarassment" while still getting your ass beat?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Same here. I shoplifted ONCE when i was 9-10. Got caught by the cops and had to have my mother take the afternoon off work (unpaid time) to come pick me up from the shop and got spanked IN the store's office (Belt). Then got spanked again at home.
    NEVER shoplifted since.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Huh? How old were you were you to be worried about "embarassment" while still getting your ass beat?
    4, 5, 6, I don't remember exactly, but I know it made me stop grabbing shit off the shelves.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    4, 5, 6, I don't remember exactly, but I know it made me stop grabbing shit off the shelves.
    Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think that a four or five year old was on that level of socialization to even be capable of feeling embarrassment. Maybe six or older, but by that time... you shouldn't be getting beat in the store anyway. Hell, the last time I remember getting beat in the store was at the age of five; and that was for running off to the toy department in Bradlee's.

Either way, the big difference is that once the whole ordeal was over; it was forgotten about. The people who saw you get your ass beat in the store that day wouldn't recognize you if they saw you the next day. However... once you put something on the internet, it's there forever. Take it down if you want to, but by then, other people have already copied it and reposted it themselves.

At the end of the day, these parents aren't doing it for the kids. These parents are just showing off in front of the world.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Maybe it's just me, but I didn't think that a four or five year old was on that level of socialization to even be capable of feeling embarrassment. Maybe six or older, but by that time... you shouldn't be getting beat in the store anyway. Hell, the last time I remember getting beat in the store was at the age of five; and that was for running off to the toy department in Bradlee's.
    Looks like we remember it at the same age. And why is it the last time you remember it? Because you didn't do it again.

Either way, the big difference is that once the whole ordeal was over; it was forgotten about. The people who saw you get your ass beat in the store that day wouldn't recognize you if they saw you the next day. However... once you put something on the internet, it's there forever. Take it down if you want to, but by then, other people have already copied it and reposted it themselves.

At the end of the day, these parents aren't doing it for the kids. These parents are just showing off in front of the world.
    Maybe, maybe not. I'd rather have parents showing off by disciplining their children than listen to parents brag about how they are their child's best friend.