Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This place is pretty much dead

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This place is pretty much dead

Any old fogies still around?
    Retirement rocks!

A 1911 in the hand is better than 911 on the phone.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Holy shit....

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrike View Post
    Crank up the band, we're back in business!
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Here I was scratching my head thinking "Bos Mutus? I know I haven't been on here in a while but I don't rememb..." and then I saw your sig block.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Holy shit....
    What's up, SJ? How are you enjoying your retirement?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    What's up, SJ? How are you enjoying your retirement?
    It's the greatest thing ever. Got myself a sweet GS9 position (Tech school instructor) and am loving being a civilian in a military shop.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    I don't know who you are, but your avatar hilariously rocks.
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's the greatest thing ever. Got myself a sweet GS9 position (Tech school instructor) and am loving being a civilian in a military shop.
    I have so far avoided the lure of post-military employment; I've been waiting for my wife to retire before I started looking. Well she's gearing up to retire in a few months and I'm not sure I'm interested in going back to work. Being gone from the USAF this long has made me realize a few things about working a job: I will not put up with unnecessary BS, I will not partake in any workplace drama, I don't want to supervise anyone, and I can't work for d-bags. Basically, if I'm not going to be 100% happy in my place of work then screw 'em. So unless a night-watchman or work-from-home opportunity arises, I'm not a good fit. Unless, of course, a cigar shop or liquor store is hiring.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I have so far avoided the lure of post-military employment; I've been waiting for my wife to retire before I started looking. Well she's gearing up to retire in a few months and I'm not sure I'm interested in going back to work. Being gone from the USAF this long has made me realize a few things about working a job: I will not put up with unnecessary BS, I will not partake in any workplace drama, I don't want to supervise anyone, and I can't work for d-bags. Basically, if I'm not going to be 100% happy in my place of work then screw 'em. So unless a night-watchman or work-from-home opportunity arises, I'm not a good fit. Unless, of course, a cigar shop or liquor store is hiring.
    I wasn't looking at all. We moved back to Texas in order to fix up our house so we can sell it before moving back to California. I got a phone call a couple months later to take a look at USA jobs and there was an instructor position in my old shop so I applied. We're gonna stay here for a couple more years (have set a date of 1 May 2018 to leave) to get bills paid off and save up enough for a good down payment back home. Then I'll be back home and done for good. It was a tough decision because I love this job and it's the only one I would have done.

How is the cigar/scotch life treating you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I wasn't looking at all. We moved back to Texas in order to fix up our house so we can sell it before moving back to California. I got a phone call a couple months later to take a look at USA jobs and there was an instructor position in my old shop so I applied. We're gonna stay here for a couple more years (have set a date of 1 May 2018 to leave) to get bills paid off and save up enough for a good down payment back home. Then I'll be back home and done for good. It was a tough decision because I love this job and it's the only one I would have done.

How is the cigar/scotch life treating you?
    That sounds lucky for you. Any time you can get paid to do something you love is a good time; it's not "working" at all.

Life is good. Some days I'm busy with yard work and chores around the house, some days I'm tending the smoker as it's doing its magic on some pork or beef, other days I'm doing nothing but relaxing with a cigar and my Kindle. I have a back log of books to catch up on and I'm enjoying going through them. On the rare occasion I get bored, there are some places I volunteer at. I ran into one of the Os I used to work with and he asked what retiring for good is like and I replied "Every night is a Saturday night, then lo and behold you wake up the next morning and it's Saturday morning." He said "I can't f--king wait!!!"