Thread: Catholic school disciplines teacher for supporting traditional marriage

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Catholic school disciplines teacher for supporting traditional marriage

OK.. SO i thought part of standing up for one's faith and "Being a witness for Christ" was speaking to others about traditional marriage and family..??

so why is a teacher at a Catholic school in hot water for a post she made on her PRIVATE facebook page supporting traditional marriage being seen as "Bashing gays" and thus is prompting the school to discipline her??

http://www.aleteia.org/en/society/ar...62954700374016

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/2015/...-a-suspension/

http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.org...perts-Say.aspx

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Nothing posted to Facebook is "private" unless the profile is set to private. Employers these days check social media regularly to screen prospective employees as well as monitor existing employees. It's not a secret, yet people still publish things on social media that put their career in peril. Even during my last years as an Army Healthcare Recruiter, there were people detailed to check applicants on social media. She had to have known that what she was posting would eventually get back to the powers that be.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Come on now, you know it's not ok to post things like that.

Imagine if you were to post "Black lives matter". You'd be a hero. Now, replace the word "black" with "white". You be a racist.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Nothing posted to Facebook is "private" unless the profile is set to private. Employers these days check social media regularly to screen prospective employees as well as monitor existing employees. It's not a secret, yet people still publish things on social media that put their career in peril. Even during my last years as an Army Healthcare Recruiter, there were people detailed to check applicants on social media. She had to have known that what she was posting would eventually get back to the powers that be.
    True, but what gets me is that this is a supposed Catholic school. So how was posting something SUPPORTING the Catholic stance on traditional marriage "putting her career in peril"? How was she in any way violating school principles?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    True, but what gets me is that this is a supposed Catholic school. So how was posting something SUPPORTING the Catholic stance on traditional marriage "putting her career in peril"? How was she in any way violating school principles?
    Even the Catholic church is slowly and painfully realizing that they will engender more people by easing off on their strict rules of behavior. It's not so much different that a political party catering to the social needs of a group to garner more votes.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Funny that you have to read the last sentence to know why Susan Sarandon's photo accompanies the first article.

The key to the 'change of heart' in the stand of the school is in the citation of Pope Francis' recent statements about accepting all people and that God loves all people.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Even the Catholic church is slowly and painfully realizing that they will engender more people by easing off on their strict rules of behavior. It's not so much different that a political party catering to the social needs of a group to garner more votes.
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Funny that you have to read the last sentence to know why Susan Sarandon's photo accompanies the first article.

The key to the 'change of heart' in the stand of the school is in the citation of Pope Francis' recent statements about accepting all people and that God loves all people.
    Heck, even Rick Santorum seems to have softened a little:

Rick Santorum on Bruce Jenner:

"If he says he's a woman, then he's a woman," Santorum told BuzzFeed during a roundtable discussion in South Carolina on Saturday.
    Santorum continued: "My responsibility as a human being is to love and accept everybody. Not to criticize people for who they are."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/04/politi...der/index.html
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Heck, even Rick Santorum seems to have softened a little:
    Santorum is a Catholic. From all reports a pretty devout Catholic. I am heartened by the possibility of Catholics following the lead of the Pope on this and other matters. Maybe there is hope. I have been very disappointed (although not entirely surprised) by the reaction of some religious figures (Franklin Graham) and others. The bottom line is something he said early in the interview and the theme repeated. While he has come to accept how he has felt his whole life it isn't a 'choice' he made and any assertion to the contrary is regoddamniculous (props again to John Wayne).

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself