Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: House Panel Backs Major Military Retirement Overhaul

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    What bothers me is that it seems our children are not being taught about how our government actually works, what the constitution is, what the intent of our founding fathers were, etc. Combined with our newly welcomed immigrants, I can't imagine a future where most adults will vote in the best interests of our country, vs the same policies that have impoverished many of the countries people are trying to run away from.
    I don't know what school you went to, but I wouldn't say my school went very indepth with any of that. The most I learned about our government probably came from PBS with the "How a bill becomes a law" song. I can't remember school ever talking about the economic side of things. Hell, I doubt if anybody in my high school would have even identified themselves or others as being liberal or conservative. That doesn't happen, now. Now everyone picks a side at an early age and most are stuck there for the rest of their lives.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post

The amount of debt matters in how we plan to (if ever) pay it off.
    We don't have a plan and we will never pay it off. It just doesn't matter.

Eventually we (the country) will have to put money towards paying the debt, money that is not currently budgeted or appropriated, so that means one of two things have to happen:

-decrease spending
    -raise taxes
    What does that mean, though? That's what I don't get. I keep hearing about taxes being raised or taxes being cut yet I still pay the same amount, no matter what. I really don't understand why people get so worked up every time a politician mentions raising or cutting taxes.

Sarcasm aside, just having access to things like legislative drafts of bills, CBO, CRS, OMB reports etc (whether via the internet or a local library) would eliminate a lot of misunderstanding on situations. Society today has the capability to be the most informed public we have ever had ... 'We the People' squander that chance because we have other shit to do with our lives, but then will complain to no end when the system does not function as we would like it to.
    I don't think it would eliminate any of the misunderstanding. It would create more because most people will immediately attach political views to the facts they are given.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I don't know what school you went to, but I wouldn't say my school went very indepth with any of that. The most I learned about our government probably came from PBS with the "How a bill becomes a law" song. I can't remember school ever talking about the economic side of things. Hell, I doubt if anybody in my high school would have even identified themselves or others as being liberal or conservative. That doesn't happen, now. Now everyone picks a side at an early age and most are stuck there for the rest of their lives.
    When I was growing up, my government education came from a Saturday public service announcement with a congressional "bill" cartoon dancing around the Capitol steps, singing about how a bill makes it into law. I also learned from my 30-40 year old mom that Dems only want to tax and spend, so they were evil. Now she is 73 she insists that Republicans want to screw her out of SS. Amazing how views change based on how you think certain positions personally impact you.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I pay $58 per month for Tricare Dental for my wife and I, and it comes directly out of my retirement pay. Includes two cleanings and one exam per year (no addn'l cost). Not too bad, I guess.
    I wonder why mine is so much higher?

Looking at my statment it shows the payee as "Delta Dental of CA"...maybe it's different depending on where you live????

...maybe it's because I still have 2 kids on there
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 04-30-2015 at 05:46 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    We don't have a plan and we will never pay it off. It just doesn't matter.
    Maybe not, I have heard some economists say that a debt of approx 6% of GDP is 'healthy' -- not saying I agree, I didn't really follow the conversation. I would say minimizing the debt from its current levels would be a good idea. If we reduced the debt, we would reduce the amount of the federal budget paying the debt ... that money could then be appropriated for other things ... maybe we lower taxes, maybe we do something productive with the money ... I don't know ...

What does that mean, though? That's what I don't get. I keep hearing about taxes being raised or taxes being cut yet I still pay the same amount, no matter what. I really don't understand why people get so worked up every time a politician mentions raising or cutting taxes.
    Raising taxes is not just personal income taxes. Estate taxes, corporate taxes, goods and services, property taxes etc. are all part of it. Some of this could depend on your tax bracket, 3 years ago was the first time my wife and I owed money come tax time. Now, I agree with you ... if my taxes go up $100 dollars in a year I am not likely to lose my mind; but some people (right or wrong) get really fired up about income taxes.

I don't think it would eliminate any of the misunderstanding. It would create more because most people will immediately attach political views to the facts they are given.
    I agree, I am 'usually' pretty good about detaching my personal view from data ... but sometimes not. Some people are incapable of it. I kind of look at it like giving someone all the training, equipment and manpower to do something ... if they fail it is on them. If someone has all the info available to them but can't remove emotion / politics from the decision process then that is really on them.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    "Delta Dental of CA"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    For me, when I got into the Congressional Fellowship Program it was a fire-hose in the face of exposure to the government; and it was my job for 2 years to learn as much as I could. I was literally getting paid by DoD to learn about Congress and government. Sitting down with current and former Members provided quite an experience and the Q & A's from it were eye opening; only one really preached politics; the rest talked more about the relationships between the chambers, the relationships with the Executive and Judicial Branches. One Senator was very clear that very likely the most important thing a President does (and that a Senator does) is the selection of Supreme Court Justices (for many of the reasons we have discussed here -- decisions are final, they serve for life etc.) While I applied for the program mostly in jest, I walked away from it with a much more in depth knowledge of the institution, and a grad degree ... but absolutely no desire to run for any office outside the PTA.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    Raising taxes is not just personal income taxes. Estate taxes, corporate taxes, goods and services, property taxes etc. are all part of it. Some of this could depend on your tax bracket, 3 years ago was the first time my wife and I owed money come tax time.
    It could also come without raising tax RATES on anything at all...by the expansion of the economy and therefore the tax base=more tax money coming in.

Now, I agree with you ... if my taxes go up $100 dollars in a year I am not likely to lose my mind; but some people (right or wrong) get really fired up about income taxes.
    I never understood all the tax hullaboo until I retired. Active duty people have no idea...such a large portion of AD income is tax free. (BAH/BAS)...the first year I retired I thought I was going okay, but come tax day I owed $10K extra...what a kick in the shorts that was

]
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 04-30-2015 at 06:12 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Amazing how views change based on how you think certain positions personally impact you.
    That is key isn't it, being able to separate what is best for the nation over what you perceive is best for you personally.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    My comment was in regard to the "downfall" of our economy crisis that is never ending...SS included.
    Ok, got it.

I guess I also thought I was a bit older than you.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself