Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: House Panel Backs Major Military Retirement Overhaul

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    What keeps me from getting flustered is not worrying about it and not paying too much attention to it. My co-workers and I were having this exact discussion this morning. It may sound selfish but what I know is that my lifestyle has not changed since I started working in 1993. It's actually improved. I can still go out and do the same things I was allowed to do back then.
    I would not say that is selfish at all.

Have things changed? Sure they have, a little bit, but there's nothing tangible in my life (or my family's life) that has been affected in our day to day actions. The emphasis put on the financials of the country by ordinary (even slightly educated) people is overboard. No matter how many stats we look at we still don't know how things are going to turn out. Stats without context just don't work for me. The amount of debt this country has just doesn't matter.
    The amount of debt matters in how we plan to (if ever) pay it off. Eventually we (the country) will have to put money towards paying the debt, money that is not currently budgeted or appropriated, so that means one of two things have to happen:

-decrease spending
    -raise taxes

Like you, I am kind of indifferent because I know I am not making that decision. I don't mind people being frustrated about the situation, I find it frustrating that people don't understand that if we are unwilling to do anything, the problem doesn't go away. I am nearly as equally frustrated with people who want to solve the problem ... as long as the impact is not on them. I have said more than once I would have no issue with a cut in my pay (active or retired) if it was actually going to go towards fixing the problem and that the sacrifice is shared. Too many people take the 'anyone but me' mentality. Then there are the misinformed, the people who read a headline vice the story, who hear about something on social media and do no research before forming their opinion or who are too stubborn to admit that they have an opinion based less on fact than on emotion.

Maybe I'm the naïve one, but I will continue to live my happy life in ignorance and let others sort out the rest.

For those who think they have the knowledge, the answers, and the foresight, I suggest you run for office so you can guide the country back to what you think it should be because, obviously, taking a look at stats, listening to the media, and 4 years of college is all it takes to know the best way to fix things.

It's a shame some people devote their entire lives to figuring this stuff out when all it takes to actually know what works in an internet connection, a cable subscription, and 6-9 credits on the subject in college.
    Often that is my same argument to people that gripe about the situation of the government -- what are you doing to solve the problem?

Sarcasm aside, just having access to things like legislative drafts of bills, CBO, CRS, OMB reports etc (whether via the internet or a local library) would eliminate a lot of misunderstanding on situations. Society today has the capability to be the most informed public we have ever had ... 'We the People' squander that chance because we have other shit to do with our lives, but then will complain to no end when the system does not function as we would like it to.
    Last edited by Stalwart; 04-30-2015 at 03:17 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stalwart View Post
    ...as a lot of people I see who are unfortunately woefully misinformed about how their government is supposed to and actually works.
    What bothers me is that it seems our children are not being taught about how our government actually works, what the constitution is, what the intent of our founding fathers were, etc. Combined with our newly welcomed immigrants, I can't imagine a future where most adults will vote in the best interests of our country, vs the same policies that have impoverished many of the countries people are trying to run away from.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    What bothers me is that it seems our children are not being taught about how our government actually works, what the constitution is, what the intent of our founding fathers were, etc. Combined with our newly welcomed immigrants, I can't imagine a future where most adults will vote in the best interests of our country, vs the same policies that have impoverished many of the countries people are trying to run away from.
    I would agree with you. I will also caveat that there is a difference between how the government is supposed to work, and how it does work ... but I will say that after a couple of years of studying the Constitution, the Parliamentary rules of the House and Senate, and reading a lot of source documents ... the government works closer to how it is supposed to than many pundits give it credit for. The problem (as always) is the people & politics, either in who we elect or who we don't elect. A smart individual or group of individuals can use the system to their benefit fairly easily.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Society today has the capability to be the most informed public we have every had ...
    The Information Age is over. We are in the Misinformation Age.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    The Information Age is over. We are in the Misinformation Age.
    haha ... +1

I used to use MM to abbreviate for Measure Man, I won't use BM for you since there is another (medical) connotation

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I won't use BM for you since there is another (medical) connotation
    Yeah, I didn't think that one through all the way
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    I definitely remember much of the criticism of Reagan was over the unprecedented deficits during that time.
    I thought SJs comment was in regard to the crisis with SS.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    I pay $58 per month for Tricare Dental for my wife and I, and it comes directly out of my retirement pay. Includes two cleanings and one exam per year (no addn'l cost). Not too bad, I guess.
    There is a 12 month moratorium on some procedures when you first sign up.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    There is a 12 month moratorium on some procedures when you first sign up.
    If you sign up within 30 days of retirement, that waiting period is waived.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    I thought SJs comment was in regard to the crisis with SS.
    My comment was in regard to the "downfall" of our economy crisis that is never ending...SS included.