Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MSgt Rant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MSgt Rant

Anyone seen this?

I’m a Master Sergeant.

My job is not to be part of the fucking Top 3, or preen and lick my coat so that Colonels and CMSgts like me, or to carefully consider how to earn a “5”.

My job is to take care of my airman, and motivate + inspire my Staff and Tech Sergeants to do the same.

They aren’t as wise as me yet, because they haven’t seen as much, but if I do my job I will expose them to situations where they will begin to acquire that wisdom.

My job is to protect my people and let them truly understand what ‘taking owningship in an organization means’ while at the same time holding them accountable to the high standards I set, exemplify, and enforce.

I shouldn’t have a perfect career history or life, because that gives me no clue how to talk to a junior enlisted who is having troubles. If I’ve never gotten in trouble, what the hell am I supposed to say to Airman Smith who is getting an Article 15 or a Letter of Reprimand?

“Sorry man. You should have been more like me.”

No. Fuck that.

“Sorry man. I’ve been there. I did something stupid too. But I didn’t let it stop me. I picked myself up and dusted myself off.”

That is the real danger of the one-mistake Air Force. We are robbing our organization of the most powerful force in human history: the ability to learn from our mistakes. Instead we staff it with a bunch of crumb lapping lap-dogs whose only concern is some stupid stratification or some worthless certification they are supposed to have because “someone told me I’m supposed to have it”.

What about people? If you spend so much time buried up your own ass, you forget why you are here in the first place. Your purpose is not as an ego-masturbatory exercise, but as a leader of men and women and a manager of teams who’s goal is to foster an organization that doesn’t trudge along to a broken and sick drum, but hums along with a precision and fury that somehow exceeds the sum of its parts.

These days we don’t even know how to create such an organization. We sometimes marvel at one when we see it, but more often than not it came about through dumb luck because we have forgotten how to be leaders. Inevitably, the next egotistical maniac will take the helm of such an organization and run. it. into. the. ground.

Why do I know this?

Because I have seen it. I have lived it. I have made my mistakes and learned from them, even when they weren’t my mistakes. I have reflected on years of a career spent trying to do the right thing, even when it cost me personally and professionally.

You know why? Because I’m not just a fucking E-7.

I’m a Senior NCO.

And my job is bigger than just me now. People don’t work for me any longer. That’s not how this works.

I work for them. They aren’t there to stroke my ego or provide me with career and EPR fodder. They aren’t there as punching bags to absorb my own shame, guilt, and frustrations. They aren’t there to do the one thousand menial tasks I invent because I am an uncreative prick.

I am there for them, to shepard them towards better careers, to encourage them to pursue personal improvement, to inspire them to do outstanding jobs (even at great personal cost), and to slowly shape them into the SNCOs that I know they will one day be.

Because that’s a family.
    That’s an organization.
    That’s taking care of each other.

And that’s what the US Air Force was supposed to be, and is about. And if you’re not onboard, and you care more about your own EPR than the SrA who’s wife is leaving him, get the fuck out. If you care more about the next Top 3 Meeting than your SSgt who’s work productivity suddenly plummetted for no discernable reason, get the fuck out. If you care more about impressing the wing commander than what your Staff Sergeants and airmen are saying amongst themselves, get the fuck out.

We don’t need you.

We need SNCOs.

http://www.jqpublicblog.com/msgts-ep...w-snco-charge/
    Formerly Enigmatic Airman...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant eNYgma View Post
    Anyone seen this?

I’m a Master Sergeant.

My job is not to be part of the fucking Top 3, or preen and lick my coat so that Colonels and CMSgts like me, or to carefully consider how to earn a “5”.

My job is to take care of my airman, and motivate + inspire my Staff and Tech Sergeants to do the same.

They aren’t as wise as me yet, because they haven’t seen as much, but if I do my job I will expose them to situations where they will begin to acquire that wisdom.

My job is to protect my people and let them truly understand what ‘taking owningship in an organization means’ while at the same time holding them accountable to the high standards I set, exemplify, and enforce.

I shouldn’t have a perfect career history or life, because that gives me no clue how to talk to a junior enlisted who is having troubles. If I’ve never gotten in trouble, what the hell am I supposed to say to Airman Smith who is getting an Article 15 or a Letter of Reprimand?

“Sorry man. You should have been more like me.”

No. Fuck that.

“Sorry man. I’ve been there. I did something stupid too. But I didn’t let it stop me. I picked myself up and dusted myself off.”

That is the real danger of the one-mistake Air Force. We are robbing our organization of the most powerful force in human history: the ability to learn from our mistakes. Instead we staff it with a bunch of crumb lapping lap-dogs whose only concern is some stupid stratification or some worthless certification they are supposed to have because “someone told me I’m supposed to have it”.

What about people? If you spend so much time buried up your own ass, you forget why you are here in the first place. Your purpose is not as an ego-masturbatory exercise, but as a leader of men and women and a manager of teams who’s goal is to foster an organization that doesn’t trudge along to a broken and sick drum, but hums along with a precision and fury that somehow exceeds the sum of its parts.

These days we don’t even know how to create such an organization. We sometimes marvel at one when we see it, but more often than not it came about through dumb luck because we have forgotten how to be leaders. Inevitably, the next egotistical maniac will take the helm of such an organization and run. it. into. the. ground.

Why do I know this?

Because I have seen it. I have lived it. I have made my mistakes and learned from them, even when they weren’t my mistakes. I have reflected on years of a career spent trying to do the right thing, even when it cost me personally and professionally.

You know why? Because I’m not just a fucking E-7.

I’m a Senior NCO.

And my job is bigger than just me now. People don’t work for me any longer. That’s not how this works.

I work for them. They aren’t there to stroke my ego or provide me with career and EPR fodder. They aren’t there as punching bags to absorb my own shame, guilt, and frustrations. They aren’t there to do the one thousand menial tasks I invent because I am an uncreative prick.

I am there for them, to shepard them towards better careers, to encourage them to pursue personal improvement, to inspire them to do outstanding jobs (even at great personal cost), and to slowly shape them into the SNCOs that I know they will one day be.

Because that’s a family.
    That’s an organization.
    That’s taking care of each other.

And that’s what the US Air Force was supposed to be, and is about. And if you’re not onboard, and you care more about your own EPR than the SrA who’s wife is leaving him, get the fuck out. If you care more about the next Top 3 Meeting than your SSgt who’s work productivity suddenly plummetted for no discernable reason, get the fuck out. If you care more about impressing the wing commander than what your Staff Sergeants and airmen are saying amongst themselves, get the fuck out.

We don’t need you.

We need SNCOs.

http://www.jqpublicblog.com/msgts-ep...w-snco-charge/
    Nice. Believe it or not, there are SNCOs out there just like this one who are now Chiefs...and rightfully so. I'm glad I've had the honor to work with them!

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I've seen this but have a hard time believing this was actually a SNCO who wrote this. I'm pretty sure it was probably a E5 or E6 who got didn't get a firewall 5.

Or, if it was a SNCO, then I'm betting that these are the thoughts he keeps internal, while doing the exact opposite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I too am tired of this anti-top 3 BS. not that I'm all for bake sales, baby kissing, and brown nosing. I suspect too that its a E-5 or better yet someone that has just become a SNCO and thinks they are experienced enough and suddenly capable to speak on behalf of all SNCOs. I do agree with some points made but not all. The perception with these types is that those involved with the Top 3 aren't leaders in their work center and they don't care for troops. I got news for you bud, you can do both. In fact, that is exactly what is expected of you. From day one when I enlisted the expectations have not changed; excel at your job, volunteer, self improvement and get involved with professional organizations. If anyone hasn't figured this out after their first year then I don't know what to tell you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Filterbing View Post
    I too am tired of this anti-top 3 BS. not that I'm all for bake sales, baby kissing, and brown nosing. I suspect too that its a E-5 or better yet someone that has just become a SNCO and thinks they are experienced enough and suddenly capable to speak on behalf of all SNCOs. I do agree with some points made but not all. The perception with these types is that those involved with the Top 3 aren't leaders in their work center and they don't care for troops. I got news for you bud, you can do both. In fact, that is exactly what is expected of you. From day one when I enlisted the expectations have not changed; excel at your job, volunteer, self improvement and get involved with professional organizations. If anyone hasn't figured this out after their first year then I don't know what to tell you.
    Careful, your insecurity is showing.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    The problem with the Top-3 is that it's become a joke. Not the people. Not the organization itself. Just all the email traffic, etc, related to it has created a certain perception for E6 and below. And, as we know, perception is everything so, if the Top-3 don't like the perception of the Top-3 then they need to do something to fix it.

Also, the "expectations" you speak of also have a perception, whether true or not. That perception is that you don't need to actually excel at your job as long as you volunteer, self improve, and get involved with professional organizations. Again, this perception is prevalent for a reason and it's up to the Top-3 and other leaders to actually do something to change the perception about the importance of doing your job.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    you had me confused for a second. I get it now, your implying that I'm some year book committee suck up that leads the cheerleading squad, and I need to justify myself. You got the wrong dude. I do attend top 3 meetings when I can. They cost me 30 mins to 1 hr max. If you can't set that much time aside a month then you suck at time management. I get involved with 2 or 3 "events" a year and that's it. I have no problem with most of what the top 3 is about. I learned a lesson at ALS, it is easier to get things done when you know the person you are working with. I meet people from different career fields like cops, supply and comm people. Anytime I had an issue I can go through them and it working. I've seen guys try to run a work center like this guys proposes. They shut themselves in, and fight like cats and dogs with anybody who tries to work with them and cause dysfunction in the process.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    The problem with the Top-3 is that it's become a joke. Not the people. Not the organization itself. Just all the email traffic, etc, related to it has created a certain perception for E6 and below. And, as we know, perception is everything so, if the Top-3 don't like the perception of the Top-3 then they need to do something to fix it.

Also, the "expectations" you speak of also have a perception, whether true or not. That perception is that you don't need to actually excel at your job as long as you volunteer, self improve, and get involved with professional organizations. Again, this perception is prevalent for a reason and it's up to the Top-3 and other leaders to actually do something to change the perception about the importance of doing your job.
    I agree with you. Last unit, the guys didn't like the top 3 and stopped going. how do they expect it to change?

As for the duty performance quality vrs volunteer work. We have done this to our selves with the EPR inflation. When everyone is a 5, volunteering was how you showed you were different. hopefully this new system will fix it. I'm just tired of hearing the same ol macho BS "I'm a real leader because I don't go to the top 3" crap. It's an argue older than most and is usually regurgitated by the new SNCOs because they heard it forever. My point is that a person can do both and the expectation is that a person should do both.

The haters remind me of the jocks in highschool that didn't want to do well in school because that made you a nerd and that wasn't cool. Anything to keep you image.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    I agree with you. Last unit, the guys didn't like the top 3 and stopped going. how do they expect it to change?

As for the duty performance quality vrs volunteer work. We have done this to our selves with the EPR inflation. When everyone is a 5, volunteering was how you showed you were different. hopefully this new system will fix it.
    Well, I've already heard from several people that the ONLY way to separate yourself from others with the new EPR form by doing the additional stuff because everyone will have the work bullets to fill out the new form. So, really nothing is changing, though I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'm just tired of hearing the same ol macho BS "I'm a real leader because I don't go to the top 3" crap.
    And others are tired of hearing that they AREN'T real leaders unless they do go.

It's an argue older than most and is usually regurgitated by the new SNCOs because they heard it forever. My point is that a person can do both and the expectation is that a person should do both.
    Yes, they can do both. Should they? Only if that's what they are interested in doing. Otherwise it's just checking boxes.

The haters remind me of the jocks in highschool that didn't want to do well in school because that made you a nerd and that wasn't cool. Anything to keep you image.
    And the joke is on us nerds because, while they were enjoying themselves, we were busy wasting time on schoolwork to get straight A's which, in the end, did absolutely nothing for us. Meanwhile, the "jocks" learned social skills, how to deal with failure, still graduated, and got laid in the process.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 04-23-2015 at 03:43 PM.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    I'd much rather deal with "Top 3" problems than CPO problems. At least as an E6 in the Air Force, an E7 is merely a guy with one more stripe than me. When I was an E6 in the Navy, I was a mere mortal and an E7 was a god to whom I was required to pay homage.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males