Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trials and Tribulations of Tak, military father

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Trials and Tribulations of Tak, military father

You all may remember our dearly departed forum colleague, Tak. During his time on this forum, he was going through some very hard times with his family, which may put some of his comments and behavior here into perspective. Take a look at his saga: http://www.jqpublicblog.com/the-good...-fourth-grade/

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Alfredo View Post
    Interesting, I talked to Tak on the phone a few times when he used to frequent this forum. I showed him how to view the source code to identify the negative reppers during the infamous "rep wars". He seemed like a good guy. After he retired he spent a lot of time trolling this forum. That appears to be because he was bored and also because he needed a release. Hope he's doing well.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SomeRandomGuy View Post
    Interesting, I talked to Tak on the phone a few times when he used to frequent this forum. I showed him how to view the source code to identify the negative reppers during the infamous "rep wars". He seemed like a good guy. After he retired he spent a lot of time trolling this forum. That appears to be because he was bored and also because he needed a release. Hope he's doing well.
    While on the MTF, I always thought he came across as somewhat defensive, combative and perhaps somewhat threatening. However, having read some of his af.mil and JQ posts, I have a much greater appreciation for who he is and the challenges he faces with his son.

That said, I am curious as to WHY he is telling his story. Is it to make the rest of us realize that we might not have it as bad as some people (not a bad reminder)? Is it to simply draw attention to himself? What is his motivation and why should we care? I don't mean any disrespect, just asking the question out of curiosity.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    While on the MTF, I always thought he came across as somewhat defensive, combative and perhaps somewhat threatening. However, having read some of his af.mil and JQ posts, I have a much greater appreciation for who he is and the challenges he faces with his son.

That said, I am curious as to WHY he is telling his story. Is it to make the rest of us realize that we might not have it as bad as some people (not a bad reminder)? Is it to simply draw attention to himself? What is his motivation and why should we care? I don't mean any disrespect, just asking the question out of curiosity.
    Because we live in a world where people need to show you pictures of what they had for dinner and other people actually care.

Though that's not how I view his "story". No matter what the intent behind it, I think there are some things that others in similar situations can relate to.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

I read the first two posts. Haven't kept up with Tak since he left here. I'm wondering if there is a sad ending coming. Even if there is I'm not sure what the goal of his story is. Everyone I met in the Air Force has at least some real life problems. Some are worse than others.

In parts of his story he's talking about his chain of command not having much sympathy for his situation. It's an interesting take. The Air Force is far more lenient in these situations than any civilian job. I worked with a girl who had a special needs child. In about 1.5 years I don't think she ever worked longer than 730-1400. I know her situation was a burden on her but the way the unit handled it created a burden for the rest of us. She ended up getting pregnant with another kid and separated. We all felt bad for her situation but can't say anyone was sad to see her go. We needed someone who could be there and carry their weight. She counted as a billet on our unit manning document but only worked about half time and even when she was physically present she was dealing with appts and what not over the phone.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    He seemed like a good guy. After he retired he spent a lot of time trolling this forum. That appears to be because he was bored and also because he needed a release. Hope he's doing well.
    I have read some of the things he has written on JQP, he really can write well and made some really good points in one particular article. I kind of wish he had done that here vice the trolling and repetitious Community Guideline violations that eventually got him banned.

I do hope he is doing well.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I have read some of the things he has written on JQP, he really can write well and made some really good points in one particular article. I kind of wish he had done that here vice the trolling and repetitious Community Guideline violations that eventually got him banned.

I do hope he is doing well.
    I agree his non-MTF posts are extremely well written and thought provoking, unlike any of his old posts on MTF.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I agree his non-MTF posts are extremely well written and thought provoking, unlike any of his old posts on MTF.
    I'm not here to be the Tak defender, but I think your characterization of his contributions here is unfair. There was admittedly a ton of chaff that he spewed out, but there were several instances of wheat. To make a blanket characterization such as you did is just not representative of the facts.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    I hope the mods allow this on a one-time basis, but I am going to cut-and-paste a few comments from Tak in response to a few of the comments.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 04-23-2015 at 09:47 AM.