Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37

Thread: Trials and Tribulations of Tak, military father

  1. #21
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    I disagree ... and will again say there was an unanswered invitation for him to discuss it privately. Also, if there was a grudge or butt hurt, why did I not just delete the original link to the article?

    My perception (the 'truth of the matter' from my chair) is that there was some butt hurt on his part that he was not asked to be a moderator, which elevated his issue with the moderators. One of the consistent arguments was 'look at how many posts I have", "look how many likes I have" I won't argue that at first moderation was more strict than I would have liked or than it is now.
    We've had this argument before and it's still the same, IMO. There are many who are equally, if not more, disruptive and personal then he (or JB or RC) with the only difference being the relationship and interaction with the Mods.

    At almost the same time is when you "Hammer of Thor" was placed in your sig line. Whether it was tongue in cheek or not, I don't know, but it was noticeable.

    Mods have been much more hands off then they were at that time and it's a good thing. Just a shame that a few people had to be permanently banned before you guys decided to take a step back.

  2. #22
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    We've had this argument before and it's still the same, IMO. There are many who are equally, if not more, disruptive and personal then he (or JB or RC) with the only difference being the relationship and interaction with the Mods.
    Am not (trying to) argue with you. Agreed, there is a different lens now, but noone was banned out of a 'personal beef' with a Mod or SysAdmin.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    At almost the same time is when you "Hammer of Thor" was placed in your sig line. Whether it was tongue in cheek or not, I don't know, but it was noticeable.
    I think I have explained before, I am a of Norwegian heritage, was raised on stories from Norse Mythology by my grandparents (from Norway). My last name in Norwegian roughly translates as "hammer wielder". While it has hothing to do with being a mod or 'ban hammer' it does lend me to use a sense of humor with .gifs or .jpgs ... the choice of avatar, moderator name, sig line is really nothing more than an expression of something I am interested in.

    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Mods have been much more hands off then they were at that time and it's a good thing. Just a shame that a few people had to be permanently banned before you guys decided to take a step back.
    We are trying, and I think a better equilibrium has been reached. As I have said, for those who were permanently banned I offered them to contact me, and again ... nothing heard. I am not going to ask someone to come back, but am willing to discuss it if they would like. I am not really against them coming back, but I am also not a fan of Rep Wars v 2.0, extended interpersonal arguements, etc. The Guidelines are the Guidelines, set by the folks that pay for the server space & software lisence. MTF is a pseudo professional forum (most of the conversation is admitedly not about the military) ... but it isn't Maxim magazine or something like that. It is not one person's personal blog, nor will a specific (no Guidelines) section of the site be set up for one person to regin free outside of observation so they can violate the Guidelines free of accountability.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  3. #23
    Senior Member RS6405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SRB
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    It is unfair to place the Rep wars on Tak. In fact he had nothing to do with them except be a victim like everyone else.

    I am not going to rehash my previous statements. My opinion on the matter should be well known. However, I will point out that this discussion keeps coming back because the feelings and opinions on the unfairness still linger.

    I think Tak is providing JQ some powerful articles. I find it ironic when I read someone's post here that mentioned how his articles are being shared on the AFT, but he is still ban here. Good point!

  4. #24
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    It is unfair to place the Rep wars on Tak. In fact he had nothing to do with them except be a victim like everyone else.
    Was just an example ... but you are right.

    Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    I am not going to rehash my previous statements. My opinion on the matter should be well known. However, I will point out that this discussion keeps coming back because the feelings and opinions on the unfairness still linger.
    Understand, but having also been on the other side of the fence, I think I was overly fair with Tak, multiple times.

    Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    I think Tak is providing JQ some powerful articles. I find it ironic when I read someone's post here that mentioned how his articles are being shared on the AFT, but he is still ban here. Good point!
    I agree, his writings on JQP are good, I will echo that I think it is too bad he didn't exhibit that same level of thought here. When he did continue to violate the Guidelines he offered that I just had to understand his sense of humor, my counter to that is that he needed to understand the Guidelines.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  5. #25
    Senior Member RS6405's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    SRB
    Posts
    386
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    Was just an example ... but you are right.



    Understand, but having also been on the other side of the fence, I think I was overly fair with Tak, multiple times.



    I agree, his writings on JQP are good, I will echo that I think it is too bad he didn't exhibit that same level of thought here. When he did continue to violate the Guidelines he offered that I just had to understand his sense of humor, my counter to that is that he needed to understand the Guidelines.
    I do not think you were fair as it related to Tak. I believe you had no tolerance for him and looked for any infraction to punish him. The infractions against Tak were ones that were not equally applied to other members violating the same or similar rules around the same time Tak got in trouble.

    The fact that you reached your limit with Tak and penalized him could have been tolerable had it not been for the fact that it was a perament ban. I am still unsure if that directive of a perament ban came from you or Bourne.

    Ok I will stop here because I am repeating myself.

    I am proud of Tak's articles on JQP. I remember when a lot of those events occurred, and the struggles he endured because of his son.

  6. #26
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    The infractions against Tak were ones that were not equally applied to other members violating the same or similar rules around the same time Tak got in trouble.
    In a sense that was true, but because he had numerous warnings, infractions & violations ... as opposed to someone who had one or two infractions for the same thing...

    Quote Originally Posted by RS6405 View Post
    The fact that you reached your limit with Tak and penalized him could have been tolerable had it not been for the fact that it was a perament ban. I am still unsure if that directive of a perament ban came from you or Bourne.
    And as I have said, numerous times, there has been an invitation to him to discuss it, he hasn't. I am not against unbanning him, but am not going to beg him either.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 04-24-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  7. #27
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post

    I agree, his writings on JQP are good, I will echo that I think it is too bad he didn't exhibit that same level of thought here.
    He did exhibit that same level of thought in many, many threads and posts. I can see the banning, though. I mean, it's not like he was on his death bed and this was his only lifeline.

  8. #28
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    I mean, it's not like he was on his death bed and this was his only lifeline.
    So, about that ... ground truth:

    1. His ban expired a few days before he passed. He didn't access MTF (either to read or post ... I checked after I heard he had died.)

    2. I didn't know he was dying. I had gotten a cryptic email from another user asking us not to ban him regardless of how out of line he was being, talking of him being 'medicated' but not saying the situation was actually serious, without knowing the details I did ban him when he was once again overtly profane. To be honest, I thought the mention of him being medicated involved mental health ... since the email was not direct or simply state what was going on, I didn't know.

    3. Had I known the situation as well as some of you, I may have made a different decision, but I didn't so my action was based on what I knew at the time.
    Last edited by Mjölnir; 04-25-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

  9. #29
    Banned sandsjames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    6,984
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjölnir View Post
    So, about that ... ground truth:

    1. His ban expired a few days before he passed. He didn't access MTF (either to read or post ... I checked after I heard he had died.)

    2. I didn't know he was dying. I had gotten a cryptic email from another user asking us not to ban him regardless of how out of line he was being, talking of him being 'medicated' but not saying the situation was actually serious, without knowing the details I did ban him when he was once again overtly profane. To be honest, I thought the mention of him being medicated involved mental health ... since the email was not direct or simply state what was going on, I didn't know.

    3. Had I known the situation as well as some of you, I may have made a different decision, but I didn't so my action was based on what I knew at the time.
    Anyway, discussing bans is against guidelines, so I guess you, me, and a couple others should probably be banned for a little while.

  10. #30
    Administrator Mjölnir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2000
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Posts
    2,964
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Anyway, discussing bans is against guidelines, so I guess you, me, and a couple others should probably be banned for a little while.
    If you would like to discuss it, feel free.

    I just laid out the facts of that issue, if your response is to drop out of the conversation vice continuing to snipe about something that was over a year and a half ago now that you know the other side of the story, that is your choice.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •