Thread: MEB, final appeal question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

MEB, final appeal question

I filed my final appeal/rebuttal to the SAFPC office at the beginning of December 2014. I am waiting (and waiting) to move forward with my and my family's lives. Does anyone have any current knowledge/experience with how long the wait is to hear back for the SAFPC? I'm in the IDES and let's just say my timeline is no where near what the 'advertised' timeline.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    I don't have any knowledge for you...one of the AF processes that has remained a mystery to me for all of my 26 years is the MEB.

I did, however, run across this article today, which was news to me...maybe people are briefed on this from their medical folks, I don't know, I've never been to an MEB...but, anyay:

Facing an MEB? Call the Office of the Airmen's Council!

Posted 4/16/2015 Updated 4/16/2015
    by Tech. Sgt. Valerie Jones
    30th Space Wing Legal Office

4/16/2015 - VANDENBERG AIR FORCE BASE, Calif. -- Are you going through a Medical Evaluation Board or Physical Evaluation Board? Did you know there is an agency specifically designated to help through the process?

Unfortunately, there is a misconception that the Area Defense Counsel or the base legal office can assist members through the MEB or PEB process. It is important that Air Force members facing an MEB or PEB quickly get help from the right source. There are timelines that must be met during this stressful process and it is important that they speak to the right agency from the start. The Office of the Airmen's Counsel is the office to assist those members.

The OAC is a team of nine lawyers and four paralegals assigned at Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph to represent Airmen that are entered into the Integrated Disability Evaluation System, also known as the MEB process. The OAC team is available to support members from start of notification through the Formal Physical Evaluation Board. Additionally, the OAC will assist Airmen through their appeals process all the way to the Secretary of the Air Force Personnel Council or the Veterans Administration.

OAC represents Airman worldwide, active duty and reservists. Their workload translates into more than 2,000 clients and more than 700 hearings in 2013 alone. It is the member's right to seek immediate legal advice from the OAC upon notification from the Medial Treatment Facility that they will be placed into the IDES.

If you or someone you know is going through this process, contact the Office of the Airmen's Counsel at DSN 665-0739 or Commercial at (210) 565-0739. Individuals can also e-mail the counsel at afloaja.disabilitycounsel@us.af.mil.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for the reply. I have an attorney within the OAC. I have spoken with him as well but all he can tell me is an estimated time frame. When I was at JB San Antonio-Randolph in November I was told it would take 3-4 months and now I'm being told it will be 6-9 months from when my appeal was filed. I was hoping to connect/talk with other AF members that have recently gone through this situation or that are going through it right now so we can compare notes.

I'm just frustrated with this whole process. The DoD goal is to have the military member returned to duty or out of the military within 295 days. I am currently at 375 days in this process and still have a couple steps to go (which will add several more months) once I hear from the SAFPC.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by denmom View Post
    I'm just frustrated with this whole process.
    I can only imagine. I've been fortunate enough to have never been through it myself...but had many troops go through it and none of it ever made any sense to me.

Good luck.
    The Voice of Reason