Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AZ Senator: Church attendance should be mandatory

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

AZ Senator: Church attendance should be mandatory

http://www.kpho.com/story/28620533/a...y#WNPoll146157
    PHOENIX (KPHO/KTVK) - Each year a few ideas get proposed at the state Capitol that have people shaking their heads.

This year: Mandatory church attendance.

An Arizona state senator thinks it is a good idea for the American people.

State Sen. Sylvia Allen, R-Snowflake, brought it up during a committee meeting Tuesday while lawmakers were debating a gun bill concerning concealed weapons permits, not religion.

Allen explained that without a "moral rebirth" in the country, more people may feel the need to carry a weapon.

"I believe what's happening to our country is that there's a moral erosion of the soul of America," she said.

"It's the soul that is corrupt. How we get back to a moral rebirth I don't know. Since we are slowly eroding religion at every opportunity that we have. Probably we should be debating a bill requiring every American to attend a church of their choice on Sunday to see if we can get back to having a moral rebirth," she told the committee.

"But since that would not be allowed and we would not even be debating that, I'm going to vote yes that people who are responsible who have a CCW permit don't have to worry about their guns as they're out and about and doing business in whatever building they're in except ones that where they aren't allowed," she said.

Democratic Sen. Steve Farley of Tucson, who was at that same meeting, posted Allen's comments on social media, and said he believes the idea goes against the U.S. Constitution.

"Even if you believe that would stem the moral decay, I think the Constitution makes it very clear that our country is founded on the pillar of separation of church and state," Farley said.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    She's a nut job, for sure. Equating religion with moral compass is probably one of the biggest turn-offs for non-believers.

I will say, though, that it's no different than making people attend mandatory LGBT, and other "tolerance/education", classes.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Good thing I don't live in Arizona, but I'm wondering if this bill has any provisions for exclusions. For example, what if you're a Seventh Day Adventist? Would you still have to go to another church on Sunday? What about non-Christian religions?

Assuming that I'd go in order to avoid paying fines (which I'd likely toss in the trash), I'd quickly a become a Muslim (in name only). You know what sucks about church on Sunday? Church-goers only have one day a week to sleep in (as opposed to two), and by the time church is over... the rest of your day is spent enduring the Sunday Night Blues.

At least if you're Muslim, you go to the mosque on Friday nights. You get that shit done and over with after work, and the rest of the weekend is yours.
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    She's a nut job, for sure. Equating religion with moral compass is probably one of the biggest turn-offs for non-believers.

I will say, though, that it's no different than making people attend mandatory LGBT, and other "tolerance/education", classes.
    Not sure she really wants to make it mandatory, but if so, does this one comment or belief make her a "nut job?" If so, is Obama a nut job? How about Pelosi? Reed? Holder? This list goes on...

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Exactly. If one can be forced to attend a mandated LGBT sensitivity class, then one should be able to get forced to attend church. But you know while the former is happening with frequency, the latter will never fly.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Exactly. If one can be forced to attend a mandated LGBT sensitivity class, then one should be able to get forced to attend church. But you know while the former is happening with frequency, the latter will never fly.
    False analogy.

First off, I have no idea what LGBT tolerance classes you and SJ are talking about that everyone is being forced to go to. I've never been to one. Secondly, who is mandating these classes? Is the government, at any particular level, making all citizens under its jurisdiction go? Or are some employers (whose clock the employees are on, by the way) mandating it? Bear in mind that if it's the latter, that employer has to protect itself - especially when some of the employees might be LGBT. If those employeee are being harassed or otherwise mistreated on the job because they're LGBT, then that employer had BETTER be able to produce some evidence of prevention measures.

But whose ass is on the line if someone doesn't go to church on Sundays?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    False analogy.

First off, I have no idea what LGBT tolerance classes you and SJ are talking about that everyone is being forced to go to. I've never been to one. Secondly, who is mandating these classes? Is the government, at any particular level, making all citizens under its jurisdiction go? Or are some employers (whose clock the employees are on, by the way) mandating it? Bear in mind that if it's the latter, that employer has to protect itself - especially when some of the employees might be LGBT. If those employeee are being harassed or otherwise mistreated on the job because they're LGBT, then that employer had BETTER be able to produce some evidence of prevention measures.

But whose ass is on the line if someone doesn't go to church on Sundays?
    The classes I'm talking about were in the news last week. It was at a college and a Christian group refused to go. I'll try to find the story to link it.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FLAPS, USAF (ret) View Post
    Not sure she really wants to make it mandatory, but if so, does this one comment or belief make her a "nut job?" If so, is Obama a nut job? How about Pelosi? Reed? Holder? This list goes on...
    Yes, it makes her a nut job, thinking that everyone else would be better off if they attended church and that it would help improve the morals of the country.

The others you mentioned are also nut jobs, no doubt. Craziness is bipartisan.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    The classes I'm talking about were in the news last week. It was at a college and a Christian group refused to go. I'll try to find the story to link it.
    Maybe it's hyperbole to think so, but I would think that Christians being against "tolerance classes" kind of sends the wrong message seeing as they would want people to believe they are about love and grace. However, being that this is in a college, I would think that the major issue is the prevention of hate crimes and the violence that comes with it.
    Efficiency through redundancy is a contradiction in terms.

Attrition is not an effective means of combat.

“The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don’t just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and riffle their pockets for new vocabulary.” – James Nicoll

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollyn01 View Post
    Maybe it's hyperbole to think so, but I would think that Christians being against "tolerance classes" kind of sends the wrong message seeing as they would want people to believe they are about love and grace.
    And I would think that liberals, being open and accepting of every lifestyle, would be more than happy to attend church with the "open minds" instead of being prejudiced against the conservative Christians.

However, being that this is in a college, I would think that the major issue is the prevention of hate crimes and the violence that comes with it.
    Too bad people don't realize that this sort of "forced" tolerance creates resentment, increasing the conflict. I don't care how people live their lives. I just don't want to be forced to be brought in to that world.

For instance, let's say that I don't like country music. I don't care if people listen to it. I don't even care if I hear it playing in someone's car as they drive by. I would, however, have an issue with being forced to go to a seminar and have to listen to a lecture and be educated on how to treat those who like country music.
    Last edited by sandsjames; 03-29-2015 at 12:00 PM.