Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AZ Senator: Church attendance should be mandatory

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Surely, as someone who is white and conservative, you'd be able to appreciate people in minority groups being able to have a month to look up to people other than musicians, actors, and athletes in order to show them what they're capable of doing; correct? I'm sure you'd love for them to be able to look up to scientists, engineers, inventors, Generals and Admirals, Medal of Honor recipients; instead of looking up to people making asses of themselves on some reality TV shows, correct?

Please tell me if I'm wrong about this. If you agree with what I'm saying, but still get pissed off at having these months... then clearly, there's no pleasing you. You're just a miserable person who always thinks he's getting the shaft.
    One month may be. BUt when its one month each and every year, and if one does NOT participate/show support, one gets graded DOWN on their Evals (or so it seems).
    Just like saying women can have their "Single sex only' fitness centers is ok, but if a guy wants one its wrong and sexist. It sets up a double standard that imo is the opposite of equality. It just shifts the Discrimination to being on the other foot.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post

Great, so employers and schools and employers should allow the use of slurs (whether based on race, sex, sexual orientation), and other language on the premises without consequence? And anyone who says anything about it should be told not to let their pussy get enflamed? Come on, now!
    NO, that's not what I'm saying (and when it comes to slurs, I'm pretty sure college level people don't need a course to know what words are off limits). I'm saying if people didn't get so offended about the bullshit then it wouldn't happen as often.

I know you don't think that a working class white guy can understand what others deal with but I'll give you an example of something that, while not on the same level, is similar:

In school, I was the nerdy smart kid with glasses. I was teased and picked on on a regular basis. There were days that I didn't want to go to school because I was "different" than the "cool" kids. Did my parents go to the school and complain? No. My dad told me (paraphrased) the following: "You think it's tough to get picked on at school, see how tough it is to get a job and raise a family when you don't graduate from high school because you're too afraid to go and get teased. Grow up!" So I went to school, and got teased, and learned to realize that it was meaningless because the people doing it had no impact on the outcome of my life. Then, after not letting it bother me, it wasn't fun for them anymore and they stopped.

That's how you deal with it. If my dad would have called the school and the kids doing it would have been singled out, it would have made it worse for me. But by being told to "man up and get over it" I learned to deal with it on my own. And I'm doing just fine now, living a happy successful life.

That's what I mean by not letting their pussy get enflamed.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    She's a nut job, for sure. Equating religion with moral compass is probably one of the biggest turn-offs for non-believers.
    Indeed.

I will say, though, that it's no different than making people attend mandatory LGBT, and other "tolerance/education", classes.
    As was mentioned, it really depends on the source of requirement.

I believe many many Catholic, Christian and other Religious-based Universities do, in fact, require their students to attend Church. Liberals do not have a problem with that. Conservatives do not have a problem with that.

If a non-religious University wants to have their students attend a course on treatment of LGBT students, liberals do not have a problem with that. Apparently, the conservatives on this site do.

The government, however, mandating people to attend Church is entirely different. Liberals would have a problem with that. Apparently some conservatives would not.

Those same conservatives would be all "govt. overreach, Marxism! End of America!" had a liberal politician suggested mandatory GLBT sensitivity training. I do fear that many liberals would support that, but I'm not one of them.

In the end...the best way to find out if you're sticking with your principles is to see how you'd feel if the "other side" used them. i.e. if you want to prohibit a private college from teaching GLBT sensitivity, but a religious college from teaching not GLBT lifestyles are sinful...then you're too focused on content and not the underlying principle of what we as private citizens or private institutions should be able to do without interference from the govt.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    To get back to the OP.

It doesn't sound to me like the Senator was seriously suggesting a mandatory Church attendence bill, she was engaging in a little hyperbole.

They were debating Concealed Carry Permits...and she just kind of went off that a lot of people feel the need to carry weapons because of all the assholes we live with. If we didn't have so many assholes, we wouldn't need to carry guns...send everyone to Church and we won't have so many assholes.

She then goes on to say that this isn't really a practical suggestion, as she points out, we're not allowed to do that.

Non-issue, manufactured outrage.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    To get back to the OP.

It doesn't sound to me like the Senator was seriously suggesting a mandatory Church attendence bill, she was engaging in a little hyperbole.

They were debating Concealed Carry Permits...and she just kind of went off that a lot of people feel the need to carry weapons because of all the assholes we live with. If we didn't have so many assholes, we wouldn't need to carry guns...send everyone to Church and we won't have so many assholes.

She then goes on to say that this isn't really a practical suggestion, as she points out, we're not allowed to do that.

Non-issue, manufactured outrage.
    Have you got a source for her purposeful use of hyperbole? I ask because the remarks I read seem to indicate she was serious.
    Last edited by TJMAC77SP; 04-03-2015 at 02:42 AM.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    Have you got a source for her purposeful use of hyperbole?
    source? No her remarks are posted in the OP.

I ask because the remarks I read seem to indicate she was serious.
    Not the indication I got. it was during a hearing about concealed carry...seems she was advancing her position on that issue and made this as sort of an side remark remark(since we can't make everyone moral, we at least need to let moral people defend themselves)...no indication she ever actually proposed this legislation or has any intent on doing so. She even stated we can't do that
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 04-03-2015 at 03:53 AM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    You are right (should have followed the first part of my signature block). I think she was serious about the need for a 'moral rebirth' but not about making church attendance mandatory.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    You are right (should have followed the first part of my signature block). I think she was serious about the need for a 'moral rebirth' but not about making church attendance mandatory.
    Well, sure...can't say I've ever met a Christian, or any person, that didn't think we needed some of that.
    The Voice of Reason