Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overt censorship

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Overt censorship

http://www.cnn.com/2015/03/17/entert...led/index.html

So people bitching about a comic book cover being too violent gets DC Comics to pull the cover? So many things about this that are ridiculous.

1. The comic books contain much violence, so why is it such a big deal to be on the cover. The readers/collectors of the comic book know what they are getting and the others aren't going to be buying it anyway.

2. If it was Batgirl holding the gun to the Joker's head, it wouldn't be a problem.

3. If it hadn't started with 1 person bitching on social media, nobody outside of the comic book world would have ever known about it.

4. It's not technically censorship, I suppose, but it is DC allowing themselves to be censored by the bitchy, whiney, mini-van driving soccer moms who don't want their spoiled, non gluten eating kids exposed. Shame on you, DC. I think you overestimate the impact those voices would have had on your sales.

5. On the other hand, it just increased the publicity of this comic book, as well as the value for any who were lucky enough to have already purchased this issue. Well done, DC. You win this round.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    There seems to be a trend in the US for the right to not be offended. Everyone seems to have forgotten they already have the right to look away, change the channel, not buy the product... I do not now, nor will I ever, need a corporation or government entity to protect me from offensive material. I can handle that quite well on my own.

It certainly is ridiculous. It will continue.

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    There seems to be a trend in the US for the right to not be offended. Everyone seems to have forgotten they already have the right to look away, change the channel, not buy the product... I do not now, nor will I ever, need a corporation or government entity to protect me from offensive material. I can handle that quite well on my own.

It certainly is ridiculous. It will continue.
    Yes it will. because, this is exactly what the Scum at CNN and their owner's want. The people of the idiocracy arguing over the danger of a comic book cover to bat girl superheros in distress everywhere .

meanwhile, in other news not covered by CNN.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.2150758

everywhere you turn dozens of actual people are still getting assaulted daily "polar bear style" after "My people" Holder and the rest of Just-Us department spent the last 6 years intentionally sowing the seeds of a racial war in this country, in order to cover up the looting of the treasury by the people that put them in power.

tick tock tick tock....living inside a broken clock
    Last edited by Rainmaker; 03-19-2015 at 07:33 PM.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    3. If it hadn't started with 1 person bitching on social media, nobody outside of the comic book world would have ever known about it.
    It seems to me, that more and more social media is being used as a bully pulpit.
    Anyone else get that feeling?

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    It seems to me, that more and more social media is being used as a bully pulpit.
    Yes...........

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by garhkal View Post
    Absolutely. The attraction of the internet is the degree of anonymity associated with it. People routinely say things on the internet they would never consider saying to someone in person.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by efmbman View Post
    Absolutely. The attraction of the internet is the degree of anonymity associated with it. People routinely say things on the internet they would never consider saying to someone in person.
    True. Look at all the shit talk to each other here. Could you imagine seeing a group of people doing the same thing in public somewhere?
    "Well... Uber's going to "driverless" cars soon, and their research probably shows that they're a natural fit (when it comes to getting paid for doing nothing)."
    -Rainmaker, referencing black males

Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    True. Look at all the shit talk to each other here. Could you imagine seeing a group of people doing the same thing in public somewhere?
    Shhh.....1st RULE. You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB....

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Jones View Post
    Nope. Not at all. Luckily the bitching on here doesn't lead to changes in policy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
    Shhh.....1st RULE. You do not talk about FIGHT CLUB....
    Still have never watched that movie.
    The most important six inches on the battlefield ... is between your ears.