Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Required to attend LGBT training at colleges.. right or wrong?

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TJMAC77SP View Post
    So this happened sometime after 2000? Where in NC?
    Wanna say it was the Shady J area (Goldsboro)....around that time, I did a lot of tidy from '98 - ' 01...it was during that time. It wasn't Pope
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Wanna say it was the Shady J area (Goldsboro)....around that time, I did a lot of tidy from '98 - ' 01...it was during that time. It wasn't Pope
    The only club I am aware of in Goldsboro that displayed that kind of attitude was the Berkeley Tavern (which also had another name when they changed locations by a block or so) which was placed off-limits in the late 80's. I will check with a friend there and see what the current situation is. Goldsboro is certainly not the most inclusive city in the US but the AF there has been very active in keeping airmen out of places like that.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Here's a quote from an interview with Ben Carson that pretty much sums up what I've been trying to say about this:

"The important thing is for us as a nation to recognize that all citizens of the United Sates are protected by our constitution. We need to stop deciding that one group versus another group is the flavor of the day and we need to do things that provide for justice and liberty for everybody."

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The only club I am aware of in Goldsboro that displayed that kind of attitude was the Berkeley Tavern (which also had another name when they changed locations by a block or so) which was placed off-limits in the late 80's.
    Don't recall the name of the place...possible it was a strip club, too. If it was off-limits, we didn't know...then again, we were only TDY.

I will check with a friend there and see what the current situation is. Goldsboro is certainly not the most inclusive city in the US but the AF there has been very active in keeping airmen out of places like that.
    Does the AF still do the whole "off limits" thing?...haven't seen those lists in a long time...maybe saw something about places that sell synthetic marijuana or something?
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    The only club I am aware of in Goldsboro that displayed that kind of attitude was the Berkeley Tavern (which also had another name when they changed locations by a block or so) which was placed off-limits in the late 80's. I will check with a friend there and see what the current situation is. Goldsboro is certainly not the most inclusive city in the US but the AF there has been very active in keeping airmen out of places like that.
    Did a little google and found this...certainly not the same bar or same area...must sounds like the same MO

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11241567/

To be honest, on the surface, i don't really have a problem with people getting together and wanting to have a private club...and wanting to keep it that way...and only invite people "who your wife will feel comfortable standing next to"...if it were indeed a private club...members or gotta know a member type of deal.

This here stuff to me though, I think, is just a front for a bar to discriminate...
    Last edited by Bos Mutus; 04-10-2015 at 03:01 PM.
    The Voice of Reason

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bos Mutus View Post
    Did a little google and found this...certainly not the same bar or same area...must sounds like the same MO

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/11241567/

To be honest, on the surface, i don't really have a problem with people getting together and wanting to have a private club...and wanting to keep it that way...and only invite people "who your wife will feel comfortable standing next to"...if it were indeed a private club...members or gotta know a member type of deal.

This here stuff to me though, I think, is just a front for a bar to discriminate...
    Oh, I have definitely seen the type of behavior in these clubs but it somewhat surprises me it was still going on in Goldsboro in 2000. Of course, these clubs open and close all the time and someone doesn't complain the base doesn't know to act.

I can't speak definitively since I have been retired but they were still putting establishments off-limits in 2003. The organ that ran the process was the Disciplinary Control Board (or something like that). They investigated complaints and made recommendations to the base commander, who made the final decision. Part of the SP/SF newcomer's briefing is supposed to be notifying everyone of establishments on the list.

The whole private bar situation started as a response to draconian liquor laws in NC. They had several types of licenses and to this day there is still one dry county in NC. 20 years ago, there were several. Even further back was so-called brown bag licenses. You could bring a bottle into a bar, they took it from you and put your name (or a number) on it and then sold you set-ups with your booze added. Stupidest thing I have ever seen. At the same time, NC had one of the most stringent open container laws so people would try to kill the bottle rather than take an open bottle home. Two couples killing a bottle of Jack is a disaster waiting to happen. You know in most cases the guys will outdrink the women. Crazy.

I don’t have any quotes……you can pick one for yourself

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sandsjames View Post
    Here's a quote from an interview with Ben Carson that pretty much sums up what I've been trying to say about this:

"The important thing is for us as a nation to recognize that all citizens of the United Sates are protected by our constitution. We need to stop deciding that one group versus another group is the flavor of the day and we need to do things that provide for justice and liberty for everybody."
    I agree. Carson seems to speak a lot of common sense!